Overnight VS. 1.5 Day Trip ---Difference?

sundaytrucka

Fish or Die
Sep 8, 2013
Orange County
Name
Scott
Boat
I wish...as in, I wish I had a boat.
I am familiar with overnight trips, but not 1.5 day; so my question refers to the schedule of a 1.5 day trip. What is the timing schedule like for a general 1.5 day trip staying in local waters, freelancing things?

It seems as though you get an extra 1-3 hours fishing on the first day, but do you continue fishing into the night and leave the fishing grounds as late as possible that night (1-2am?) to make dock in the AM second day?

Asking because it seems like most 1.5 days simply give an extra couple hours fishing during the day, the added cost of $100-$175 over an overnight trip does not seem viable for the added 1-3 hours.

Not knocking 1.5 day, I am not familiar with the trips structure and would like to know more details, debating on an overnight-3 day trip..

Thank you, Scott.

Last edited:

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
I am familiar with overnight trips, but not 1.5 day. So my question refers to the schedule of a 1.5 day trip, what is the timing schedule like for a general 1.5 day trip staying in local waters, freelancing things?

It seems as though you get an extra 1-3 hours fishing on the first day, but do you continue fishing into the night and leave the fishing grounds as late as possible that night (1-2am?) to make dock in the AM second day?

Asking because it seems like most 1.5 days simply give an extra couple hours fishing during the day, and the added cost does not seem viable for the added 1-3 hours, for sometimes $100-175 more compared to an overnight trip.

Not knocking 1.5 day, I am not familiar with the trips structure and would like to know more details.

Thank you, Scott.
A 1 1/2 you get to fish till dark that mean's instead of heading in about 1.30 you get to fish the whole rest of day' only way to go 'over night's go by to fast .

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
When the fish are 70+ miles away, getting the extra fishing time on a 1.5 makes a big difference. When the fish are close in, the advantage is not so great.
the morning bite is not always guaranteed 'and I had overnight trip's where when the fish start to bite in the afternoon they have to head to the barn' it's is nice to know that you have the rest of the day two make up for A slow morning.

UnBelievable

F.V. UNBELIEVABLE
Jul 19, 2013
Mission Bay San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Norm Campbell
Boat
UnBelievable
Just fished the Outer Limits out of Seaforth. Fish are close. Was the last guy out of the rack at 8:00. Had breakfast and caught well too many to say, all quality 20 to 30 lb yellowfin. Last stop at 3:00, yes 3:00 as the fish are close landed Bluefin in the 25 lb class. The bite shuts down at night the best value to fishing time is a 1 day trip only because the fish are close at this time. And for the record the extra fish were gifted to those whom did not do as well. Hooked and handed as its all about having a great time for all!

Reactions: Tom Jr.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Its also nice to arrive in the morning to have the processors there if you are looking to use them.
the drive home in the morning' is so much easer because of A good night sleep and don't have to rush home' it seamed year's a ago on all the over night trip's I did it took me day's to recover.

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
Many factors make me chose 1.5 or 2.5 day trips versus overnight or 2 day trips...
1) Get to fish from sun up to sun down, so in case they dont bite in the am, you still have a chance at night.
2) I live about 3 hours away, so the fish processors are usually able to process my fish within a couple of hours when I get back in the morning. If you get back at night, you have to drop off your fish, get it processed the next day, and then pick it up or get it shipped...
3) Usually no traffic to deal with, especially if you get back over the weekend in the am... Last 2 trips, the boat came back on a saturday and sunday morning around 5:45... I had my fish processed and left san diego around 8:45, got home around 10:30ish, little to no traffic
4) I love sleeping on the boat after a long hard day of fishin... Its really nice, like a rocking cradle.. and you wake up refreshed, ready to drive... unlike an overnight where you get back to the landing, are tired and smelly, and can barely stay awake at the wheel.

fishfish

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jun 21, 2006
Santee
Name
Gerry
Boat
Sold and Gone!!!
Right now as fishin is.....just get out. You'll get 'em. If you're drivin far to the landing get on the 1.5 dayer so you are well rested for the drive home though, plus chances are you'll get more fish for the fare difference. Good luck!
BTW...Bring a large Ice chest for transport of fish fillets.

Michael H.

Jan 25, 2008
RANCHO CUCAMONGA
Name
MIKE HARRIS
Boat
No Boat
I cannot describe how many 1.5 day trips I have taken where until 4:00-5:00 pm we were skunked. All of the sudden the fish go crazy and the trip goes from a bust to a most memorable trip. The tuna often lay down all day and decide to feed in evening. Acres of boiling Albacore or yellowfin biting nails while the first part of the day a boat ride. Do a 1.5 day and many times you will find what the evening bite will provide.

salty brain

Nothing but salt between the ears
Sep 25, 2012
OC
Name
Dave
Boat
what ever floats
1.5 day all the way, morning bite, evening bite, dinner on the water, kick back and get a good rest before hitting the docks and processors waiting if want to use them. If you ask me 1.5 all the way even if there this close, but I just love being on the water