Overnight trips on personal fishing rigs

Discussion in 'Boating Discussion' started by Brian Grindel, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Brian Grindel

Brian Grindel Newbie

Name:
    Bgrindel
    Boat:
    52' Egg Harbor
    How many of you guys take overnight trips on your personal boats and how far offshore have you fished. Just curious on how many people take multiple day trips and if it's worth it pros and cons..

2. Aggro

Aggro Keepin my pimp hand strong!

Name:
    AGGRO
    Boat:
    skiff
    You can't beat having your own rig out there. We used to bring a bunch of guys that could drive a bigger twin screw so we could trade off.

3. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    One could write a book on this... Pros and Cons ...
    The first obvious question is how big is your baot, what is it's range/ fuel capacity and does it afford any creature comforts ( sleeping, head, galley).

What does your ground tackle look like? Do you plan to anchor up or bob like a cork all night while someone stands watch?

My 24 Grady (sold) did not have the range OR the ground tackle so that put it right out, however my buddies 24 WAC does so we make do. It's a lot like camping, I sleep on the open deck. We go to SCI for three days/ two nights.

Predicting weather for three days is a challenge. We have gotten the sh*t kicked out of us trying to get home a couple times.

There are some really hard core guys, we met up with a commercial guy on a frigging center console who had been out there for FOUR days, he was limited out and tired so he gave us the last of his squid.

Obviously you want the latest and greatest in communications, EPIRB, the works. Redundant systems, backups to your backups.

So much more to say but I'm sure others will chime in.

Edit: I didn't notice the 52 foot boat when I posted. I think youré good :)

4. Brian Grindel

Brian Grindel Newbie

Name:
    Bgrindel
    Boat:
    52' Egg Harbor
    Good post.

You have to be one hardcore fishing machine to be In a center console for days like that! I couldn't do it haha.

I'm green and jumped into this sport with two feet! So I'm learning alot and have always done 6 pack charters in the past just day trips. Was just interested in people doing multi day trips in there own rigs.

I could see it being like camping keeping someone on watch all night.

5. FishAcquisition

FishAcquisition I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    Only Aspirations-not the name of my boat-just have aspirations
    SCI 3 Days 2 nights sounds like a great trip. Brian, I would love to go but all I know is fishing and cleaning and crewing. No boating, Nav or mechanical skills. Have to be plenty here you could buddy boat with and guys that have the on deck boating skills. The the both feet, that is the way to any sport, Love it.

Brian Grindel likes this.
  6. irob2

irob2 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    robert
    Boat:
    REEL ADDICTION/STRICTLY BUSINESS
    tanner,Cortez double 220 it dont matter if their biting I'm there

Vince Hayworth and bajabills like this.
  7. Paddyman

Paddyman Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Tiara 33 flybridge "Go Time"
    We do multi days on a 33 fly. Best way to go. Thanks

8. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    When you say multi day trips, what do you mean? Are you talking staying offshore drifting at night? Or are you talking staying at an island or onshore spot and being on a mooring or anchor? Really completely different trips and experience needed for each of these circumstances.

9. Brian Grindel

Brian Grindel Newbie

Name:
    Bgrindel
    Boat:
    52' Egg Harbor
    Lol I have zero skill also ha! But have the will to figure it out

10. Brian Grindel

Brian Grindel Newbie

Name:
    Bgrindel
    Boat:
    52' Egg Harbor
    You just get cat naps when u can?

11. Brian Grindel

Brian Grindel Newbie

Name:
    Bgrindel
    Boat:
    52' Egg Harbor
    I mean out floating / fishing not on a mooring ball or at anchor in a harbor somewhere.

I'm talking like run out to the grounds some where and fish for a few days.

I had a guy in the boat yard next to me who just bought an 40 something foot express Hatteras I think it was. He said he would run 100 or so miles out and fish for a few day and come home. He said he would also do it in his Parker 25'er but he said he was getting old and got the shit beat out of him coming home.
    Just looking for stories / experience. I mean the way boats are set up if you don't mind burning fuel you can go screw around for a pretty long run

12. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Do not forget to get a multi-day permit from the DFW, many times many different ways, drift with a sea anchor on the Cortez/Tanner, anchor up a pyramid cove, on a can at Avalon, Twin Harbor, and more.

streetnfish likes this.
  13. Brian Grindel

Brian Grindel Newbie

Name:
    Bgrindel
    Boat:
    52' Egg Harbor
    What would you need a multi day permit for?

I was thinking Bout hitting up Catalina for a trip looks like it could be fun.

I'll have to look the others up.

14. Paddyman

Paddyman Member

Name:
    Mike
    Boat:
    Tiara 33 flybridge "Go Time"
    Depends on what we are doing. Sci or cat we anchor or moor. Offshore we sit on the sea anchor. 2 hour shifts in the dark.

15. Brian Grindel

Brian Grindel Newbie

Name:
    Bgrindel
    Boat:
    52' Egg Harbor
    Makes sense.

I just tossed a sea anchor that was in my boat the bag was full of mold. And it smelled terrible!

Might have to invest in one again.

It was explained to me that the previous owners would use that to troll real slow. Don't know it that's true or not

16. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    Take the Coast Guard coarse.

soul troller and Brian Grindel like this.
  17. miaf

miaf Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Boat:
    Biggest thing is to have someone at the helm at all times. I would think radar experience is a must.

strackle99 and Brian Grindel like this.
  18. MYNomad

MYNomad Heading South

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Yes
    Great topic. I believe you have the boat to do multi-day trips with safety and comfort, but it sounds like you may need some experience. I suggest hiring a professional captain (and mate) to accelerate that curve, and to keep you and your boat safe in the meantime. Also, take USCG Aux boater safety.

But to answer your question from my perspective, my favorite trips are multi-days WAY offshore.

My longest was a trip from San Diego to La Paz, fishing along the way. We did not anchor or otherwise touch land until we were within the SOC, but do "sea anchor" often. I highly recommend getting a sea anchor. With that, you can comfortably sleep through the night in about any conditions. But, I always anchor at Tanner or within about 25nm of Pyramid.

As to the comment that it is hard to predict weather more than 3 days, I sort of disagree. In the eastern Pacific, you can certainly see a major storm brewing much earlier than that. You may be hit with uncomfortable conditions, but nothing to affect a trip.

Just take your boat on a few shakedown cruises before you commit to a long trip offshore.

I think the limiting factor multi-day offshore trips for most boats is fuel. You should be fine in that regard.

Brian Grindel likes this.
  19. Brian Grindel

Brian Grindel Newbie

Name:
    Bgrindel
    Boat:
    52' Egg Harbor
    That's a impressive Trip.
    By no means am I asking because I'm going out tomorrow to do it. It's something I'd like to do in time. I have hired a captain to learn from that I feel is very qualified. I will do research back into the sea anchor.
    I feel I have a boat where I could do it with comfort. Given I'm personally ready for it. I'm sure my boat has done plenty of long trips before my time.
    I am just curious and think that it would be a good fun time to try it.
    I still have lots of shaking down to do and have come to accept things take time. My first real run will be from Oxnard to SD with a captian by my side. Still a long run for me.

20. Reel 007

Reel 007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Leon
    Boat:
    28 Wellcraft Coastal "vagabond'
    Fishing............., A multi-day permit from DFW allows the boat to have more than a single day bag limit,

Stayskunkedmyfrens likes this.