PENN

LedZeppfin

Sep 5, 2008
Mission Viejo
Name
Dave
Boat
Cattle Boats
Finally had some time to post this up. Better late than never.

Landing: Point Loma Sportfishing
Boat: The Dominator
Date Leaving Dock: Friday August 3, 2018
Fishing Day: Saturday August 4, 2018
Bait Size: 4'' Sardines
Anglers: 24
Fish Caught: 5 (1 small yellowfin on the troll, 1 small yellowtail and 3 dorado 6lb to to 12lbs)
Cost: $260.00

It was nice to get out for the first time this season. At mid week (during this time) for some reason the fish counts just dropped like flies. Cancel the trip you might ask? No! Even knowing with a $300.00 price tag at the end of it all think of the crew first. They need to get paid regardless. Not only that but I signed up and drove to the landing. Carpooled with a fishing friend from Lake Mission Viejo named Eddie Russ. I got my first skunk ever fishing out of San Diego. It eventually happens to many of us. This week the fish counts are now off the hook. This weekend I'm leaving Friday and coming back Sunday on a friends 42ft private boat. Revenge time! We should do well. The $500.00 price tag helps with bait and fuel because the 1972 boat is a big gas guzzler.

First off to the crew of The Dominator. They were exceptional. Glad the boat is back up and running again after a 2 year hiatus. Joe Phillips runs a great crew with easy going guys. They talk to and interact with everyone while offering any help you may need. Joe lets fisherman help out in the cabin by looking for fish etc. Eddie Russ was up there the whole time as I just stayed on the deck with the trolling rods. Although I didn't catch anything I still tipped the crew for their work and kindness. The long hours they work isn't easy. With no fish to clean hits them in the pocket too as well.

It was slow fishing except the ocean was alive with life everywhere. How odd! Porpoise pods all over, a whale was next to the boat, birds all over, 5 or 6 kelp paddies (one had tern birds on it) and diving tern birds. We had a few porpoise pods with yellowfin underneath them but the fish would sink out at the sound of the boat. Also came up on crashing yellowfin and they too would sink out upon our arrival. Even with a heavy chum line they wouldn't come up and stay. The sardines were small and at 4''. Very few of the them were the 6'' to 8'' ones. No mackerel in the tanks. I think a dorado picked me off one time. We came across a kelp paddy with tern birds on it. I butt hooked a 6" sardine with a #1 hook and it was picked off. Not a good combo! Big sardine with a small hook.

Hook Size: A size #1 or #2 hook needed.
Line Size: 20lb and drop down to 15lb for letting the bait swim better.
Fluorocarbon: Didn't use any.

We tried everything but even the jigs didn't get bit either. The dorado chased them on one kelp paddy stop but those ones were quite territorial to the paddy. I was thinking of trying a sardine chunk at the time. Many anglers were bored and slept in the bunks or the galley. When it came to my trolling turn (#23) I was the only one stading out there for over an hour watching 5 trolling rods. Just waiting for any one of them to sing. It didn't happen and this is fishing for ya.

Took some pics tho! Being on the ocean is way better than being at work.

Get out and get some fish because the season is far from over yet! This week has been very hot on a good bite so far. Fingers crossed for my upcoming 2 dayer this weekend. Get to the landings early as the parking lot was already full when we got there. The back up lot was full too. A sign in the main lot says 30 minute parking only. Take the ticket and go in. Don't let it keep you from driving around. Or go across the street and pay $20.00 to park at the hotel. Give them your car keys.

Or fish out of Seaforth Sportfishing because they have a much bigger lot and the parking is free there. Better yet is fishing during the week to avoid the parking nightmare. We had 4 anglers who didn't show up even after loading up on bait. It could possibly be related to the nightmare parking issue.

David
Mission Viejo

20180804_065510.jpg 20181120_085031.jpg 20181120_085738.jpg 20181120_090805.jpg 20181120_090818.jpg 20181120_090838.jpg 20181120_090847(0).jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Edward L Russ

Almost A Member
Jan 23, 2017
Mv
Name
Rusty cage
Boat
Mission fishin
Finally had some time to post this up. Better late than never.

Landing: Point Loma Sportfishing
Boat: The Dominator
Date Leaving Dock: Friday August 3, 2018
Fishing Day: Saturday August 4, 2018
Bait Size: 4'' Sardines
Anglers: 24
Fish Caught: 5 (1 small yellowfin on the troll, 1 small yellowtail and 3 dorado 6lb to to 12lbs)
Cost: $260.00

It was nice to get out for the first time this season. At mid week (during this time) for some reason the fish counts just dropped like flies. Cancel the trip you might ask? No! Even knowing with a $300.00 price tag at the end of it all think of the crew first. They need to get paid regardless. Not only that but I signed up and drove to the landing. Carpooled with a fishing friend from Lake Mission Viejo named Eddie Russ. I got my first skunk ever fishing out of San Diego. It eventually happens to many of us. This week the fish counts are now off the hook. This weekend I'm leaving Friday and coming back Sunday on a friends 42ft private boat. Revenge time! We should do well. The $500.00 price tag helps with bait and fuel because the 1972 boat is a big gas guzzler.

First off to the crew of The Dominator. They were exceptional. Glad the boat is back up and running again after a 2 year hiatus. Joe Phillips runs a great crew with easy going guys. They talk to and interact with everyone while offering any help you may need. Joe lets fisherman help out in the cabin by looking for fish etc. Eddie Russ was up there the whole time as I just stayed on the deck with the trolling rods. Although I didn't catch anything I still tipped the crew for their work and kindness. The long hours they work isn't easy. With no fish to clean hits them in the pocket too as well.

It was slow fishing except the ocean was alive with life everywhere. How odd! Porpoise pods all over, a whale was next to the boat, birds all over, 5 or 6 kelp paddies (one had tern birds on it) and diving tern birds. We had a few porpoise pods with yellowfin underneath them but the fish would sink out at the sound of the boat. Also came up on crashing yellowfin and they too would sink out upon our arrival. Even with a heavy chum line they wouldn't come up and stay. The sardines were small and at 4''. Very few of the them were the 6'' to 8'' ones. No mackerel in the tanks. I think a dorado picked me off one time. We came across a kelp paddy with tern birds on it. I butt hooked a 6" sardine with a #1 hook and it was picked off. Not a good combo! Big sardine with a small hook.

Hook Size: A size #1 or #2 hook needed.
Line Size: 20lb and drop down to 15lb for letting the bait swim better.
Fluorocarbon: Didn't use any.

We tried everything but even the jigs didn't get bit either. The dorado chased them on one kelp paddy stop but those ones were quite territorial to the paddy. I was thinking of trying a sardine chunk at the time. Many anglers were bored and slept in the bunks or the galley. When it came to my trolling turn (#23) I was the only one stading out there for over an hour watching 5 trolling rods. Just waiting for any one of them to sing. It didn't happen and this is fishing for ya.

Took some pics tho! Being on the ocean is way better than being at work.

Get out and get some fish because the season is far from over yet! This week has been very hot on a good bite so far. Fingers crossed for my upcoming 2 dayer this weekend. Get to the landings early as the parking lot was already full when we got there. The back up lot was full too. A sign in the main lot says 30 minute parking only. Take the ticket and go in. Don't let it keep you from driving around. Or go across the street and pay $20.00 to park at the hotel. Give them your car keys.

Or fish out of Seaforth Sportfishing because they have a much bigger lot and the parking is free there. Better yet is fishing during the week to avoid the parking nightmare. We had 4 anglers who didn't show up even after loading up on bait. It could possibly be related to the nightmare parking issue.

David
Mission Viejo

View attachment 955177 View attachment 955178 View attachment 955179 View attachment 955180 View attachment 955181 View attachment 955182 View attachment 955183
Dave we will have to go again soon.

Reactions: LedZeppfin
Upvote 0

wkk

Apr 10, 2007
so cal
www.socalfishingdynamics.com
Name
will
Boat
Edge Water CC/Bonafide RS117
You can't catch anything if you'd try.
Good job putting in the effort. It'll payoff next time.

Reactions: LedZeppfin
Upvote 0

SSUfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
Sep 14, 2006
San Diego
Name
Eric
Boat
n/a
Re: parking, next time drop your buddy off with all of the gear and park in the neighborhood. I always find parking a few blocks away and walk my stuff over...I don't even bother anymore with the pay for parking.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2004
Jamul
Name
used to fish
Boat
17 Aquasport
The port of San Diego wont let them put in a parking structure. They barely let them do that remodel a few years back and I believe they were not allowed to expand the size of the buildings either.

Upvote 0

Capt Devo

Fish Hard
Mar 14, 2010
San Clemente
Name
Devo
Boat
Trophy
Hey Fin's in the Bin the Chinese tried to buy half of Long Beach Harbor 20 years ago and almost pulled it off. I think if the Crazy Rich Asians and or Middle Eastern Developers have more than enough pocket change to massively redevelop this entire area. That's why the Port of San Diego's reluctance to improve what is already there right now I think there are major long term plans for this area that don't include fish and or us.

Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

simmo13

I Should Upgrade My Account
Nov 12, 2010
Lb inshore
Name
Simmo
Boat
19’ baja bayrunner!!!!!
Many people that bash a boat based on fish counts need to read your write up before they get to Post again about their “bad experience “
Your writing was an easy read and made me feel like I was out there on your trip. I would’ve been right with u atthetrollers once the others gave up. Hope u got them on the other 2 day?
Did u? Report to come ??

Upvote 0

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
not a bad day you got 5 fish. I just check they fish couture they caught 72 yellow fin 30 skipjacks, 4 yellowtail, 41 Dorado. not bad at all

Reactions: Slo-bros
Upvote 0

LedZeppfin

Sep 5, 2008
Mission Viejo
Name
Dave
Boat
Cattle Boats
Many people that bash a boat based on fish counts need to read your write up before they get to Post again about their “bad experience “
Your writing was an easy read and made me feel like I was out there on your trip. I would’ve been right with u atthetrollers once the others gave up. Hope u got them on the other 2 day?
Did u? Report to come ??
I leave tomorrow Friday August 17th after work for 2 days. One year (2015) we were watching 150lb to 200lb bluefin crash on bait 40 yards from the boat 22 miles out in front of Oceanside. We couldn't get any of them to bite. Seeing that live was something else regardless of not taking any fish home.

Upvote 0