Offshore Overnight offshore fishing on Tribute on July 18,2014

PENN
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishmandude

Sep 17, 2010
So Cal
If the editor think this thread is not appropriate , he can remove it.
My first fishing experience is extremely negative. First the bunk is not a dog hole but I was told there are better bunk available but captain will not assign it. Second food prices were not properly posted and customer was not notified of the price when they offered the food.
My assumption for the boat to post offshore fishing, I assumed we will be going off shore where we can not see the land and that is why we were charged over $205 for offshore trip and will spend the night on the boat. We were fishing not even at the Mexican South or North Coronado Island yet until 1 pm before we moved somewhere else. Every one was so upset while other similar overnight boat caught hundreds of fishes and even 3/4 days boat caught more and even Orange County and LA boat caught more than we did. We were not offered any good customer service discounts for future trips. Tribute is the only boat that do not care about customer. Even the fishing was not so bad at Eclipse, they offered free free breakfast. New LoAnn offered discounted tickets for bad trip out of their control. There are more examples like that.I know we are fishing and are not catching. I am talking about Captain decision and customer service. I wonder what other people is thinking>
Should the customer always pay for the Captain's bad judgement ?

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
That was hard to read,it would be a bummer to spend money on an overnighter/1 1/2 day trip and wake up to see Point Loma right in front of you,you didnt pay a fuel surcharge did you ?

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    If you were driving the boat, where would you have gone and why?
    Please support your position with facts.

Upvote 0

Simon Bon Bowery

Lizard Fish Hippie
    Feb 18, 2007
    O'side
    Name
    Simon
    Boat
    Chris Craft 19 cc "LiL Lizard"
    How was the bait?

Reactions: peteking
    Upvote 0

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
    El Lago Tijuana
    Name
    Art
    Boat
    Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
    I think the san diego sport fleet needs a little patience from all anglers trying to deal with the BFT closures. Looking at the tributes fish count, seems like he knows what he's doing.

If the Tribute would have gotten the BFT tuna to bite at the nine, you'd be singing his praises. I'm not one of those anglers that think sport boat captains are gods, just the opposite. They can make mistakes, have bad attitudes, treat private boaters like shit - but they do know how to catch fish.

DateTrip TypeAnglersCatch
    07-18-2014Overnight 367 California Yellowtail, 2 Yellowfin Tuna
    07-15-20141.5 Day 274 California Yellowtail, 14 Yellowfin Tuna, 1 Dorado, 124 Bluefin Tuna
    07-13-20141.5 Day 2542 California Yellowtail, 38 Yellowfin Tuna, 4 Dorado, 16 Bluefin Tuna

Upvote 0

TaggingTuna

Almost A Member
    Oct 3, 2012
    SoCal
    Name
    Matthew Jannusch
    Boat
    Bay Runner
    Nowhere is there a description or disclosure on where the boat will take you when you purchase your trip. You imagine you will go into Mexican waters because it's where you or others have gone previously. The intention is that you will board, travel and fish. The Captain of the vessel's priority is to find the fish. If the bite is local and not 60 miles south than the boat will stay local in hopes to get the multiple anglers on a bite. Remember it's called fishing not catching. Its the Captains call to hunt local or travel south to find the bite, its never a guarantee that you hit your limit or even get one fish onboard.
    As far as the pricing for food on the boat, it should be clearly noted what the costs are, but if it isn't, it's the anglers ultimate responsibility to know or ask what the price is before you purchase or consume something. If you are unhappy with the experience, talk with the deck hands or the Captain and express your displeasure. My wife has taught me that expressing your problems with service will either 1) notify the service provider there is something wrong which they may not know and 2) can get discounted price or reimbursement or nothing at all. but not saying anything will just leave you unhappy.

Upvote 0

Wandering Blues

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Oct 19, 2008
    The Land of Entrapment
    Name
    Curtis
    Boat
    A Pair of Simms G3 Waders
    I've never met a Captain or crew that didn't want to put fish on the deck. If you had limited out 10 miles from the barn, would it have been a bad trip vs catching nada 60 miles from home?

As to the food, was it a dollar or two more than you anticipated?

With as much info there is on the internet, I'm amazed anyone expresses shock any more.

Unless the bait rolled, or there was a mechanical issue cutting into the trip, the boat doesn't owe you anything. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: jer dog
    Upvote 0

mrkrabs

Mar 3, 2009
    Santee/ca/usa
    Name
    Marty
    Boat
    Lard ass
    OK, here's the deal, this is the 2nd time I've heard bad things about this boat since I made reservations for a overnight trip. It's my sons 16th birthday and I want to make sure he has a kick ass time. The boat leaves on thurs. but I'm looking and I see they have a spot on the Aztec on sun. I can cancel my reservations within 48hrs, so I'm wondering if I should transfer my reservations to the Aztec.? mrkrabs

Upvote 0

mrkrabs

Mar 3, 2009
    Santee/ca/usa
    Name
    Marty
    Boat
    Lard ass
    OK, here's the deal, this is the 2nd time I've heard bad things about this boat since I made reservations for a overnight trip. It's my sons 16th birthday and I want to make sure he has a kick ass time. The boat leaves on thurs. but I'm looking and I see they have a spot on the Aztec on sun. I can cancel my reservations within 48hrs, so I'm wondering if I should transfer my reservations to the Aztec.? mrkrabs

Upvote 0

BangHUss

Barefoot Water Skier
    Mar 10, 2005
    Mission Viejo, O.C. California
    Name
    Lupe
    Boat
    Boat HO
    If the editor think this thread is not appropriate , he can remove it.
    My first fishing experience is extremely negative. First the bunk is not a dog hole but I was told there are better bunk available but captain will not assign it. Second food prices were not properly posted and customer was not notified of the price when they offered the food.
    My assumption for the boat to post offshore fishing, I assumed we will be going off shore where we can not see the land and that is why we were charged over $205 for offshore trip and will spend the night on the boat. We were fishing not even at the Mexican South or North Coronado Island yet until 1 pm before we moved somewhere else. Every one was so upset while other similar overnight boat caught hundreds of fishes and even 3/4 days boat caught more and even Orange County and LA boat caught more than we did. We were not offered any good customer service discounts for future trips. Tribute is the only boat that do not care about customer. Even the fishing was not so bad at Eclipse, they offered free free breakfast. New LoAnn offered discounted tickets for bad trip out of their control. There are more examples like that.I know we are fishing and are not catching. I am talking about Captain decision and customer service. I wonder what other people is thinking>
    Should the customer always pay for the Captain's bad judgement ?

Interesting report written at a 2nd grade level.

If possible, please compose a litterate sentence or two, on if you guys put any fish on the boat.

Upvote 0

OB Mike

Jun 30, 2008
    Ocean Beach, San Diego, CA
    Name
    Michael
    Boat
    n/a
    Capt. Mike with Seth and the rest of the crew have never been short of stellar in terms of their customer service and desire to get fish on board in my experience. You may have better achieved your aims talking to him man to man instead of blasting him on a message board where he can't give his side. My $.02

Upvote 0

OIF VET

May 26, 2010
    North OC
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    nope
    Fuck no. Both boats are good. Mike has spent many a years doing this. He can and does put fish on the deck. Stay on the tribute and enjoy your experience.

Reactions: peteking
    Upvote 0

OIF VET

May 26, 2010
    North OC
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    nope
    Sorry meant to quote this on my previous post.

Upvote 0

fishfreak88

Apr 19, 2012
    Cardiff, Ca US
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    15' Gregor Baja Special
    i agree with stayin on the tribute. the capt is a nice guy and the crew is great as well. been out a few times already this year and years past. good guys to fish with.

Upvote 0

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
    i.e.
    Visit site
    Name
    jeff
    Boat
    no
    Maybe you did not properly convey your feelings to the capt.......you sure did a crappy job here.
    I know guys that just came back from a 3 day and caught most of the tuna 11 miles from the pt.

As for the Tribute, I haven't fished it since it was the Holiday and ran by Steve but it sure seems like they have VERY respectable counts day in and day out.
    You didn't catch a fish.......did you? Butt hurt?

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.