Islands Overnight Halibut hunting trip Jimmie C with pic

luckyjohn

Jun 1, 2015
Name
john r westersten
Boat Name
Get Reel Pursuit 3000
I only use 12 or 15 pound test big game green , if you look at the reel in the picture you will see we use all small gear with 5 to 7 foot leaders , im not sure what Wyatt was using probably 15 pound test , I also don`t use any special leader just straight tie , 2 years ago we caught a 52 pound 4 ounce on 12 pound big game

Mr. Halibut Catcher,

would you mind mentioning the amount of weight you use? and the method of the sinker set up. i've always used a long dropper loop to keep the bait slightly above the bottom, but that method doesn't seem to work as well as it did, perhaps ive caught all the dumb ones. i've used the lightest weight that kept me on the bottom.

Upvote 0

michael e. bingham

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 26, 2015
Name
Pura Vida
Boat Name
Pura Vida 30' Custom Panga
I use chrome torpedo sinkers fron 2 to 5 ounce depending on conditions , winter fishing for halibut I fish deeper water usually 90 to 120 feet or so , I fished IB saturday in 74 to 85 feet of water and we caught 5 halibut with one going 8 or 9 pounds and all were released, I use a barrel swivel with 5 to 6 inches line to a thundermist 3 way swivel , my sinker line lenght is abot 18 inches and my leader bait line is 5 to 6 feet , with the barrel swivel to the 3 way your line will never twist and stays perfect , halibut are ambush feeders and with shorter leaders I have found they will lay on the bottom and surf along with the bait as you are drifting , keep the bait off the bottom and you`ll get the more aggressive bite , when There is no drift I use a slide sinker with lots of scope , I always have one rod out with lots of scope out and one straight up and down with a heavier sinker , halibut success I think and have found is write all of your trips in a log book thru out the year and go back the next year and fish the areas you fished the year before and make it happen , time on the water drifting is the key for catching halibut , good luck

Upvote 0

luckyjohn

Jun 1, 2015
Name
john r westersten
Boat Name
Get Reel Pursuit 3000
Thank you for the information. Very much appreciated. i have painted my sinkers white. i will try chrome.

Upvote 0

shindoman

• Aug 23, 2021
    Placentia, CA
    Name
    Troy Shandy
    Boat Name
    Seaswirl Striper 26' WA
    I use chrome torpedo sinkers fron 2 to 5 ounce depending on conditions , winter fishing for halibut I fish deeper water usually 90 to 120 feet or so , I fished IB saturday in 74 to 85 feet of water and we caught 5 halibut with one going 8 or 9 pounds and all were released, I use a barrel swivel with 5 to 6 inches line to a thundermist 3 way swivel , my sinker line lenght is abot 18 inches and my leader bait line is 5 to 6 feet , with the barrel swivel to the 3 way your line will never twist and stays perfect , halibut are ambush feeders and with shorter leaders I have found they will lay on the bottom and surf along with the bait as you are drifting , keep the bait off the bottom and you`ll get the more aggressive bite , when There is no drift I use a slide sinker with lots of scope , I always have one rod out with lots of scope out and one straight up and down with a heavier sinker , halibut success I think and have found is write all of your trips in a log book thru out the year and go back the next year and fish the areas you fished the year before and make it happen , time on the water drifting is the key for catching halibut , good luck

Thanks for being generous with your setup information man. You surely have this down.

T2

Upvote 0

Workplacesafety

Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses
  • Feb 20, 2010
    Long Beach Ca.
    Name
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat Name
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats
    Holy smokes. I would sure like to fish with you some day. I've got a lot to learn fishing halibut. Congrats!

Upvote 0