AWilliams

I've posted enough I should edit this section
May 18, 2009
Ramona, Ca.
Name
Alin Williams
Boat
none
Hopefully going to get my doctors release this Monday to be able to return to fishing. Trying to go as light as possible on my near future trips, are you guys who use the sleeping bag liner...are you guys finding it is warm enough at night? How about a pillow? Inflatable good enough? Recommendations from Amazon on what you guys are using?

Reactions: stuman

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Hopefully going to get my doctors release this Monday to be able to return to fishing. Trying to go as light as possible on my near future trips, are you guys who use the sleeping bag liner...are you guys finding it is warm enough at night? How about a pillow? Inflatable good enough? Recommendations from Amazon on what you guys are using?
I have used the liner on four trips,
And a $3.00 pillow from Walmart,
And it works great, I just put them
Both in a cloth Vans bag,
And clip it to my backpack.

JK47

May 19, 2019
HB
Name
Alek
Boat
SS Minnow
Inflatable pillow and Turkish towel (super thin cotton) for a blanket have worked well for the last few trips. I also bring a hooded sweatshirt for early morning and late evening, that can be used to keep warm when sleeping if necessary.

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
I brought a legit sleeping bag on my 3 day recently, I was right under the AC vent and I was glad I had the insulation, it was cold but actually nice in the bag. Point is it probably depends on you and the boat and even the specific spot on the boat.

bdubs73

Feb 7, 2008
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
none
I use a run of the mill 30-degree bag and a Sea to Summit inflatable pillow and it's been working out great. $60 total. Honestly, I feel better about it than the stuff they leave you on most overnight trips anyhow lol

stuman

Brawndo the thirst mutilator
Sep 18, 2004
Oside
Name
stu
Boat
skiff
The bag liner is a great idea. After looking at Amazon, I'll try one with a zipper. Trying to get in a cramped top or lower bunk without a zipper could be difficult for me. Even with a zipper I can see myself having problems.

On my last overnight trip I took a small blanket. It was enough to keep me warm but was too bulky. Other small groups had garbage bags full of bedding material. Laundering all those blankets must have been a pain. Hopefully, the liner works out well.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
The bag liner is a great idea. After looking at Amazon, I'll try one with a zipper. Trying to get in a cramped top or lower bunk without a zipper could be difficult for me. Even with a zipper I can see myself having problems.

On my last overnight trip I took a small blanket. It was enough to keep me warm but was too bulky. Other small groups had garbage bags full of bedding material. Laundering all those blankets must have been a pain. Hopefully, the liner works out well.
trust me it will, and it comes in A little bag , so its Compact .

surfgoose

active geezer
Jul 29, 2010
Long Beach, CA, USA
Name
Gary
Boat
whichever has the longest bunk
stuman -- Having a zipper on the bag liner is critical, but be aware that some of the "zippers" on some models are so lightweight in construction as to be useless. I bought a Pike Trail liner off of Amazon because the size was right, but the zipper was made out of recycled Vietnamese beer cans or something, it broke easily. I used the liner on one 2.5-day and threw it away.

I then bought a Browint liner from Amazon, same mid-$20s price range, and the zipper is very much better. It will go on my next trip. I also brought along one of those inexpensive microfiber couch blankets that cost maybe $10 and weigh nothing, and it proved useful because like SouthBayKiller I was in the direct flow of the A/C. I carry the liner and blanket and a small pillow in a small duffle bag, with room for my deck boots in a towel.

Reactions: SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
stuman -- Having a zipper on the bag liner is critical, but be aware that some of the "zippers" on some models are so lightweight in construction as to be useless. I bought a Pike Trail liner off of Amazon because the size was right, but the zipper was made out of recycled Vietnamese beer cans or something, it broke easily. I used the liner on one 2.5-day and threw it away.

I then bought a Browint liner from Amazon, same mid-$20s price range, and the zipper is very much better. It will go on my next trip. I also brought along one of those inexpensive microfiber couch blankets that cost maybe $10 and weigh nothing, and it proved useful because like SouthBayKiller I was in the direct flow of the A/C. I carry the liner and blanket and a small pillow in a small duffle bag, with room for my deck boots in a towel.
Camping towel, compressible camping pillow and a decently compressible sleeping bag for me. A medium duffle for them is a good idea.