kevfin

Jun 10, 2014
Name
Kevin Le
Boat
None
Hi All,

Newbie here... so please bear with me

From the Los Angeles area. I went on my first sports fishing event last weeking (LA Harbor to Catalina, on the Gail Force). Was a bit seasick at the start but got through it and was able to catch two mackerels. I was really hoping for some Yellowtails or WSB. I hear San Diego is the spot to be for some Yellowtail and Tuna.

Could anyone recommend a boat that does a overnight trip? I don't think my sea legs are ready for anything longer than that. So far it looks like the New Lo An is a possibility but I don't see many fishing reports for that particular boat....

Also I am using a Shimano Talavera TES70MH Rod with Baitrunner 8000OC, will that be sufficient enough for tuna?

Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0

saltwaterfish

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 13, 2010
Los Alamitos, CA
Name
Jason
Boat
looking for new one
here is the most important tip for your question. overnight are a waste 99% of the time. At least do a 1.5 day trip. Gives you about 4-5 hours more of fishing. overnight trips usually stop fishing around 2... and Lo Ann is a good boat.

Reactions: FWebb and jer dog
Upvote 0

fish_guts

Nov 17, 2008
Diamond bar Ca, USA
Name
Dominic
Boat
22.5 foot searay center console SOLD
Hi All,

Newbie here... so please bear with me

From the Los Angeles area. I went on my first sports fishing event last weeking (LA Harbor to Catalina, on the Gail Force). Was a bit seasick at the start but got through it and was able to catch two mackerels. I was really hoping for some Yellowtails or WSB. I hear San Diego is the spot to be for some Yellowtail and Tuna.

Could anyone recommend a boat that does a overnight trip? I don't think my sea legs are ready for anything longer than that. So far it looks like the New Lo An is a possibility but I don't see many fishing reports for that particular boat....

Also I am using a Shimano Talavera TES70MH Rod with Baitrunner 8000OC, will that be sufficient enough for tuna?

Thanks everyone!

New Lo An is a great boat. i've gone on overnights and killed it on that boat (at the right time). there are yellows at the islands right now. if you want tuna you will have to wait a while for them to be within Overnight range. right now they are further down from the last i saw.

White seabass are biting up in the channel islands and also around here. Catalina is usually pretty weak unless you go at a good time. San Clemente island, Santa Barbara island, etc are much better. if you want to try an overnight The Toronado (pierpoint landing) goes out every week for only $100 if you mention 976-tuna (just to try out an overnight trip) i'm also in the Los Angeles area and i go out pretty much every weekend so you can PM me if you have any questions about specific boats and trips. i've been on a few in the area so i can provide more insight to them and overnight trips.

Upvote 0

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
here is the most important tip for your question. overnight are a waste 99% of the time. At least do a 1.5 day trip. Gives you about 4-5 hours more of fishing. overnight trips usually stop fishing around 2... and Lo Ann is a good boat.
That's what they have us all brainwashed into thinking...........I fished an o'nite last year and caught plenty of yellowtail and a couple bluefin. I also fished a day and half trip and caught yellowfin, bluefin, dorado, yellowtail and a couple skippies. We were less than 60 miles out and sat out and could have quit fishing at 3:00 and still had most of the fish we caught. As it was we sat outside SD bay for hours before we could get in and dock.
Late August to October an o'niter out of San Diego can get you on the fish. No doubt you have better odds on longer trips but an o'nite is NOT a 99% waste of time.

Reactions: prolinegd
Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
That's what they have us all brainwashed into thinking...........I fished an o'nite last year and caught plenty of yellowtail and a couple bluefin. I also fished a day and half trip and caught yellowfin, bluefin, dorado, yellowtail and a couple skippies. We were less than 60 miles out and sat out and could have quit fishing at 3:00 and still had most of the fish we caught. As it was we sat outside SD bay for hours before we could get in and dock.
Late August to October an o'niter out of San Diego can get you on the fish. No doubt you have better odds on longer trips but an o'nite is NOT a 99% waste of time.
when I first moved out here I only fished over nighter's ' I can't even count how many time's 'the fish just starting biting' and it was time to head home' day 1/2 for sure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oniedab

Fishing is there anything else?
Jul 17, 2009
visalia/ca/Tulare
Name
mike hagans
Boat
28ft Grady White Sailfish
Sounds like you need to first see if you can handle being on the ocean for a day without getting sick. I can only tell you is that if you go on a 1.5 day trip and get sick, you will wish you where on the 3 hour whale watching boat. They will not turn around for you. Then later in the year August/September it will be game on for anything you want. Even on the one day boats.

Upvote 0

mafrancis66

Apr 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA, USA
Name
Mark Franics
Boat
Sold it!
If you want to get out an on overnight this weekend, I would jump on the Vagabond out of Point Loma. The cost is $235, but includes meals and all permits. Short range with Long range amenities. Great boat to figure it all out on!

Upvote 0

kevfin

Jun 10, 2014
Name
Kevin Le
Boat
None
Vagabound is nice. I might catch that one. I hope a newbie like me can get one Yellowtail!

Upvote 0

mafrancis66

Apr 19, 2010
Oceanside, CA, USA
Name
Mark Franics
Boat
Sold it!
Vagabound is nice. I might catch that one. I hope a newbie like me can get one Yellowtail!
You just have to let them know you are new to the sportfishing scene, rent some gear, listen and learn as much as you can from these guys. They will do their best to get you on an yellowtail. At a minimum you will have a blast on a big comfortable boat. Good luck if you go... I'm thinking about it, but the wife wasn't stoked to hear I would be gone over father's day.

Upvote 0

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
when I first moved out here I only fished over nighter's ' I can't even count how many time's 'the fish just starting biting' and it was time to head home' day 1/2 for sure.
Here's ^^^^^^ one of the brainwashed ones:frehya2:. Take a look at the Prides o'nite scores from last year......or better yet just average it out.
Now that said, last year was the first o'nite offshore trip I have done in probably 5 or 6 years. I still think you can do plenty of damage though.

Upvote 0

kevfin

Jun 10, 2014
Name
Kevin Le
Boat
None
Oh snap, this weekend if Fathers days... My mind has been too focused on fishing lol. Okay, maybe next weekend I will check out the New Lo An. Can't hurt.

Upvote 0

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
You've so much to learn...........:)

That is today's count and I found it here.
http://biteson.com/newlandings.html

and for what it's worth, I have been on the Condor twice. Great boat. First time I caught a limit of albacore on an o'nite. The second time we were blanked on a 1.5 day.
Just sayin.......

You really ought to do a little more local fishing. Barracuda and sand bass are really starting to go now. It's a good way to get use to being on the boat, picking baits, etc.

Reactions: mafrancis66
Upvote 0

kevfin

Jun 10, 2014
Name
Kevin Le
Boat
None
I know that is great advice, but my main driving force is eating what I catch and I love yellowtail and tuna. I will sacrifice my body for a great catch/eat lol.

Upvote 0

SouthBayKiller

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
In San Diego it's probably harder to go wrong than it is to go right. Watch weather and counts and it's pretty easy to make it happen. Been on overnights I wished we could go longer on and been on 1.5s we were back at the docks before midnight and we putted in. Length of trip is mostly a function of conditions, not of absolutes. If the fish are close an overnight is a no brainer. There are certain things that make 1.5s nice though, for me since I drive down it nice waking up and having a day to drive home and pack fish (or get fish packed if I'm lazy).

LA/OC is lot more tricky.

Reactions: spize909
Upvote 0

finishright

May 17, 2008
Oceanside Ca.
Name
Mike Morris
Boat
prowler kayak
if your going to do a overnight or a 1 1/2 day might try the scopace patch getting sick is not fun as you already know either trip you do it will be more enjoyable later in the season for overnight but nobody knows what the summer brings it is just starting and starting very good

Upvote 0

kevfin

Jun 10, 2014
Name
Kevin Le
Boat
None
i got the patch last time, but i put it on 30 minutes before the boat left the dock. big mistake, i should have put that bad boy on 6-8 hours prior....

but after throwing up last time, i was good to go lol.

Upvote 0

Auggie

Mar 17, 2007
H.B.
Name
Gary
Boat
None
If you have only been on one overnight trip and are more interested in yellow tail . Give the San Diego out of Seaforth Landing a try. You get close to a full day of fishing and Capt. Ryan has a solid reputation for catching yellowtail. http://www.thesandiego.com/

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
a 1.5 day trip is definitely better because you have all day to fish vs just until noonish... But your definitely still in the game on an overnight. My first san diego offshore trip, maybe 7 years ago, was on the Cherokee Geisha(now called the Old Glory). We went out on an overnighter in august, had 23 yellowtail, 11 albacore, and 1 bluefin. On That first offshore trip, i was fortunate enough to have caught a yellow, an albacore and a bluefin. But had we stayed on the grounds throughout the day and had more time to find more kelps, we wouldve had much more than that.

If its a "picking away" kindof day, where your stopping every once in a while, picking up a couple fish here and there, then 1.5 day is important. But if theres a wide open bite up to 60-70 miles from home, overnight will do it. I would definitely say just go on the 1.5 day. So much better!

Upvote 0

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Here's ^^^^^^ one of the brainwashed ones:frehya2:. Take a look at the Prides o'nite scores from last year......or better yet just average it out.
Now that said, last year was the first o'nite offshore trip I have done in probably 5 or 6 years. I still think you can do plenty of damage though.
a o' nite trip you have 7 hour's to get it done' a 1 1/2 you have 14 hour's' do the math' just tell us the truth ' wifie only give's you A one day pass.

Upvote 0

spize909

Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
a o' nite trip you have 7 hour's to get it done' a 1 1/2 you have 14 hour's' do the math' just tell us the truth ' wifie only give's you A one day pass.
the math is easy, but if he just wants to do an o'nite than he needs to know that the statement of "it's a 99% waste of time" is 99% inaccurate.

Wife let's me fish as much as I have money to do so....that's my biggest limitation.:Beat_Them

Upvote 0