Madrods_USA

MADRODS USA
Apr 11, 2008
The Gundo
Name
Madrods USA
Boat
Serial Killer
Over populated seals are eating 10s of 1000s of fish by the minute and there's no limits for them... there's a culprit no one is ever looking at, because they can't see beyond there long, wooden noses.

Upvote 0

Madrods_USA

MADRODS USA
Apr 11, 2008
The Gundo
Name
Madrods USA
Boat
Serial Killer
I think there is a tree-hugging site somewhere, maybe up in San Fran?

I think that douchebag isn't a kid; he's probably in his 40s and lied about his age... as many do on various sites. I don't get the logic of people like this, to come on a site and post this crap where it does not belong. It's just plan idiotic.

Upvote 0

rcpals

Apr 1, 2008
Orange, CA USA
Name
Jeff
Boat
31ft Custom SportFish. Getaway
This is a fishing report website. Moderator please close or at least move this post. Its making me sick already. I go fishing to get away from politics. This post should not be here.

Upvote 0

Reuben

I Should Upgrade My Account
Apr 23, 2008
Socal
Name
Reuben
Boat
Boat
Hi Ethan, welcome to the site! Thanks for posting. Be careful being so opinionated on a first post, first day on the job, first day at school, first date, first time you meet somebody and have a conversation, or just about anything you do for the first time. It sort of turns off half the people your giving your opinions to, or another way to say it is you lose half your audience right off the bat and that makes us less effective at whatever it is we are trying to accomplish by voicing those opinions in the first place. You catch more bees with honey as they say

I agree that we could manage our oceans using all sorts of methods that would probably be better for the resource than we currently have implemented. Remember though, we need all of our fishing community to maintain our rights to fish and use the resources or they will be voted away from us. A young person just getting into fishing will have to keep a limit of small calicos before they someday progress to a private boat owner who someday releases everything and just fishes for the pure enjoyment of it and is fulfilled just being on the water. That is a process. We are all on varied paths to the end point, but we each should be allowed to get there at our own pace. You might arrive to that point sooner and thats great! But Ethan, it doesnt allow you the right to be critical of the guy who takes his son/daughter out on the 1/2 day boat and wants to keep some small calicos/sand bass to show the family and eat. Thats fine too, and we may need the votes of those young people someday. Allow them to find enjoyment in fishing in whatever way they choose. Because, then we will have another brother/sister in the fishing fraternity. They will be educated soon enough on their own or from being around other fisherman they look up to or respect. It will happen.

Finally, Ethan you are wrong about the mountain lions. They are not extinct, have never been extinct, and are thriving in all our western states. You have some bad info/opinions on this topic. In fact, today, because of the conservation efforts of sportsman/hunting/fishing enthusiast we have have way more game animals today in this country than we did when Louis and Clark made their famed expedition. Hard to believe but true.

Welcome to the fishing fraternity Ethan. We need everyone we can get. It is my opinion that you have alot to learn about the politics of being an outdoorsman and which bushes the snakes are under (ie who your enemies are), but thats ok and you will learn soon enough. Im glad your interested enough to post. Dont take the criticism your going to recieve for your post too personal. Like I said Ethan, you have alot to learn about the political landscape behind conservation issues in this country and there are valid reasons why your words will evoke these reactions from the rest of the fisherman/outdoorsman on this site.

Upvote 0

captjeffjones

Embellishment detector.
Jun 6, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Captain Jeff Jones
Boat
Depends on which client....
So we all just stop keeping fish all together, then what? The commercial guys with the nets will just have a tiny bit more to kill, that's what. For years and years 1/2 day boats used to fish the same rocks every day and cream the bass. Year in and year out. The net guys have gotten good, and gill nets blanket the outer edges of the areas we fish. Trawler drag nets right through the twilight fleet, using their lights (sportboats) to get the sandbass all ganged up. It's too bad that somehow this whole thing gets overlooked. Get rid of the nets, and it gets better real quick. And yes, I have written letters.........

Upvote 0

dkd711

Skunk Master...
Jun 7, 2008
Huntington Beach
Name
Duke
Boat
"WFO SKUNK"
So we all just stop keeping fish all together, then what? The commercial guys with the nets will just have a tiny bit more to kill, that's what. For years and years 1/2 day boats used to fish the same rocks every day and cream the bass. Year in and year out. The net guys have gotten good, and gill nets blanket the outer edges of the areas we fish. Trawler drag nets right through the twilight fleet, using their lights (sportboats) to get the sandbass all ganged up. It's too bad that somehow this whole thing gets overlooked. Get rid of the nets, and it gets better real quick. And yes, I have written letters.........

The gov't makes too much $$$ on the Net guys to stop it! They rather stick it to the lil guys like us. HAve you seen the prices of violations both ocean and on land lately. Incredible I tell ya! California, god how I love you and Hate you so dearly!!!

Upvote 0

barracho

Easy man, I have a beverage here!
May 14, 2011
S. OC
Name
Joe
Boat
Learned my lesson. Wanna take me fishing?
An uneducated reply to an uneducated statement(s)- :finger: Ethanator

Upvote 0

u got slack!

May 22, 2009
SFV
Name
Matt
Boat
N/A
The gov't should raffle off tags for hippies who don't know wtf they are talking about......:2gunsfiring_v1:

Close this thread already....We are looking for fish reports here, not this kinda :shithappens:.

Upvote 0

dan1

Feb 7, 2008
People's Republic of Kalifornia
Name
dan
Boat
Back in the day, young Ethan, nobody gave a crap about size limits. I remember in the 70's/80's going out on the Western Pride, GW, the Matt Walsh, yada yada, with 30-50 of my new best friends and limiting out on bass. The difference now is you got the whole damn boat measuring fish that, back in the day, nobody would consider putting in the sack. Ya just did not bother with small fish. Back in the day, you could fish the rock fish at the shoe on the 1/2 day boat in the winter and come home with some nice reds and today people are posing with reds that nobody would be caught dead with on 35 millimeter Kodachrome, and out of Newport you could get on a boat that would target the 14 mile bank for some cow cods. Now, thanks to a lack of proper management and a whole lot of bitching by so-called sportsmen that spot and them fish are a big no-no. The next big no-no is going to be hooping bugs do to a lack of proper management. The regulations need a big tweak before they make more species off limits. Your heart is in the right place my friend. I look forward to reading more about your future fishing endeavors.
Good first post.

............and using super expensive gear to do it.

I see MLPA as a done deal especially with Brown in office.. Perhaps in the future we can propose to re-open the fishing grounds gradually by limiting days you can keep fish to M-W-F, and make the other days catch and release only. It's better than nothing, which is what we're getting.

If there were more people with Ethan's attitude back in the 70/80s, we wouldn't have this problem now.

Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
Well said Ethan,dont let these guys get to you with there ignorant comments,theyr'e part of the problem not the solution.Its a great attitude,keep it up.Write letters to DFG asking to change size and bag limits.Your'e gonna catch alot of crap from this site,treehugger,envirowacko,catch and release is gay,shit like that.It was nice to read something that wasnt a dead fish brag report .

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
This was your first post here at BD. Much of what you are ranting about has been discussed quite a bit here. Was this also your first visit to BD?

Your bio-thing says that you are a student. Were you one of the "students" that were bussed in for the MLPA meeetings?

okokokokok......

your kitty issue has already been approached.
now for your "300 fish" issue

Think about all the other landings that are killing 300 fish a day

how many boats and how many anglers contributed to those "300 fish"?
what was the breakdown per species followed by per angler was that "300 fish"?
how often are these "300 fish" reported?
and how many of these "300 fish" were caught past the safety of jetties & breakwalls.....past your safe kayaking fishery that gets absolutely POUNDED on a regular basis. ;)

C&R? rockfish can not be successfully C&R'd. WSB brought up from waters deeper than 45' have a problem, also. If you are serious about what you posted, inquire to kid creole about the WSB C&R issues.

one of the responders here mentioned "bio-mass". that would be a good thing for you to investigate further --- and you are not alone in that.

and yes, the MLPA does have a place in my world. so does moving seals OFF the endangered species list.

BTW: If we have a good albie/yellowtail summer, you are REALLY going to be pissed!

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
Good Bad Right wrong The Kid struck a Nerve 4 Sho. . . . can't say as I agree with all the statements but then this isn't the 1700's and time to burn someone at the stake for voicing an Opinion. Although its a thought. . . .

As for me when I go out fishin for the cost I put out. . . if my freezer is empty and I can put some grub in there. . . You bet yer sweet ass I will. . ..
Oh and FYI I have seen more Mountain Lions dead on the side of the road and reports of them lookin for a lil tidbit walking along on some ladies leash for a mornin stroll in the last few years than the 20 years I have lived up on this mountain.

Welcome to the site Ethan, Have fun dodgin all the rocks. . . . . . .

Upvote 0

gecsr1

Plain Jane Rods...Hobby Rod Builder
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
No Boat Now
I guess 300 fish being caught by one landing must sound like a lot of fish being caught... did you do your homework... and see how many boats, how many anglers, and what species of fish they were ?
You come to a Fishing web site and blast that you are in favor of MLPA"s.
Don't expect any sympathy here....
Go back to your RESEARCH and do YOUR HOMEWORK....
and on your second post maybe you will understand and change your thoughts a little...
Research How bad the MLPA/s are and How they got implemented with private monies and unfair dealings and bias people and so and so on....

Everyone here wants fish for tomorrow we as fisherman for the most part tread lightly on our resources....

Good luck to you.............and hope you see the light at the end of the tunnel....

Upvote 0
S

South Bend

Please don't get too caught up in this post. This person (who may not even be a kid) just signed up yesterday to BD and his first post is a "fishermen are killing too many fish" post?????? Come on, this person has an agenda. Don't feed the trolls.

Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    Hi Ethan, welcome to the site! Thanks for posting. Be careful being so opinionated on a first post, first day on the job, first day at school, first date, first time you meet somebody and have a conversation, or just about anything you do for the first time. It sort of turns off half the people your giving your opinions to, or another way to say it is you lose half your audience right off the bat and that makes us less effective at whatever it is we are trying to accomplish by voicing those opinions in the first place. You catch more bees with honey as they say

I agree that we could manage our oceans using all sorts of methods that would probably be better for the resource than we currently have implemented. Remember though, we need all of our fishing community to maintain our rights to fish and use the resources or they will be voted away from us. A young person just getting into fishing will have to keep a limit of small calicos before they someday progress to a private boat owner who someday releases everything and just fishes for the pure enjoyment of it and is fulfilled just being on the water. That is a process. We are all on varied paths to the end point, but we each should be allowed to get there at our own pace. You might arrive to that point sooner and thats great! But Ethan, it doesnt allow you the right to be critical of the guy who takes his son/daughter out on the 1/2 day boat and wants to keep some small calicos/sand bass to show the family and eat. Thats fine too, and we may need the votes of those young people someday. Allow them to find enjoyment in fishing in whatever way they choose. Because, then we will have another brother/sister in the fishing fraternity. They will be educated soon enough on their own or from being around other fisherman they look up to or respect. It will happen.

Finally, Ethan you are wrong about the mountain lions. They are not extinct, have never been extinct, and are thriving in all our western states. You have some bad info/opinions on this topic. In fact, today, because of the conservation efforts of sportsman/hunting/fishing enthusiast we have have way more game animals today in this country than we did when Louis and Clark made their famed expedition. Hard to believe but true.

Welcome to the fishing fraternity Ethan. We need everyone we can get. It is my opinion that you have alot to learn about the politics of being an outdoorsman and which bushes the snakes are under (ie who your enemies are), but thats ok and you will learn soon enough. Im glad your interested enough to post. Dont take the criticism your going to recieve for your post too personal. Like I said Ethan, you have alot to learn about the political landscape behind conservation issues in this country and there are valid reasons why your words will evoke these reactions from the rest of the fisherman/outdoorsman on this site.

Rubin: Thank you for taking the time to write a proper response to Ethans post. Well said!

Ethan: While your respect for the environment is commendable, your ingnorance of the facts involved is atrocious. Spend some time educating yourself and be more aware of special interest ideology.

Hopefully, your next post will be a fishing report!

Upvote 0

Mikieb

May 8, 2011
    Huntington Beach, Calif.
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Crash & Burn
    Upvote 0

BiggestT

Sep 8, 2004
    Fullerton
    Name
    SM
    Boat
    Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
    Ethan, thanks for your post. Though you are incorrect on the mountain lions, you are right on in your questioning the sport boats pounding out limits, particularly at the height of the bass spawn when the fishing is easiest. Most of the intelligent anglers realize that the incredible pressure does impact the fishery. Those that don't are the dumb ones. The person who posted that the take of sportboats is inconsequential is a complete idiot. One just needs to read the article on trophy sand bass by Jonson in the current issue of PCS. He's a proven tournament winner AND he gets all his big fish on obscure secondary stones NOT FISHED BY SPORTBOATS. Intuitively, we all know that unpressured water is better than pressured. Intuitively, we know that the same boat putting 80 baited lines on the same stone, two runs a day, keeping everything 12" and above is going to have some impact. Remember that calicos and sand bass are a sport only fish, that is they are not targeted by commercials. Only we the sport boat and private boat anglers have an impact on their size and abundance. I'm pretty confident that a majority of the private boat angles are predominantly C&R (Raul excluded). Heck the entire SWBA tournament series is C&R and that should be the way. After all are we meat fishermen or Sport fishermen?

Ethan, you're too young to know this, but back in the early days of freshwater bass tournaments, it was 10 fish limits and kill and weigh. It didn't take too long for people to realize that the fishing at their local lake was ruined after a professional bass tournament came through. Oh yes the dead fish were cleaned and donated to the local charitable need organizations, ensuring the fish did not go to waste and allowing the anglers to sleep at night. Still, the outcry over these slaughters became loud enough that eventually the BASS founder, Ray Scott, pushed to have C&R tournaments with live weighs. Fast forward and look at how popular freshwater bass tournaments have become. By comparison, much of saltwater fishing is still set in its old ways.

Old habits are hard to change. The sportboat industry is built on a model where today's fish counts ensure tomorrows passenger load. The industry is also built on a model where the deckhands are paid minimum wage and they make their money on fileting fish. So they are incentivized to encourage catch and kill to the limit. Your up against a business model and the industry has been unwilling change it. Frankly the participants in the industry aren't bright enough to come up with a better way like Ray Scott did. So the public's focus is on the very visible sportboat segment of the saltwater recreational fishery. Though many in the private boater segment lead the way in terms of C&R and a conservation oriented approach to fish, we are unfortunately all lumped together. What was that MLPA rally cry....United we Stand, Divided we fall? Well we stood united and we went down with THEM! We ceded our voice to the very sportboat and commercial fishing industry that brought us to this point. Such a shame.

Upvote 0

Carl

Bridesmaid,,,,,,,Again
  • Nov 29, 2004
    San Diego
    Name
    Carl
    Boat
    everyone elses
    Very cogent post Steve.

Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
    Jan 16, 2007
    Arizona
    Name
    Brian
    Boat
    Whoever is Hot that week
    Thousands of cows and millions of chickens have been killed every day for hundreds of years. Neither are extinct!

Upvote 0

KID CREOLE

Sep 19, 2003
    San Pedro, Ca.
    www.yayacalls.com
    Name
    Stefan
    Boat
    Grady White 263 Chase
    Great points BiggestT,

Unfortunately the majority of saltwater fisherman are smart enough to help impact their own future.

Anyone who can honestly say that there has not been a serious decline in the sand bass and calico populations over the last 30 years is a fool!

Upvote 0