RamsNducks

Jul 2, 2016
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
None
What just happened lol
Hooks landing? That’s Oxnard you know how far that is from tanner bank and Cortez bank? Where the bluefin are biting? You’ll be lucky to get 3 hours worth of fishing before the boat has to come home on a day and half.

r8rs4lf

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Hooks landing? That’s Oxnard you know how far that is from tanner bank and Cortez bank? Where the bluefin are biting? You’ll be lucky to get 3 hours worth of fishing before the boat has to come home on a day and half.
Exactly why I was asking what the target was.

RamsNducks

Jul 2, 2016
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
None
If you are serious about the bluefin or bust trip. I would maximize fishing time at the Channel Islands.
What just happened lol
You need to re evaluate your charter bro. No one is gonna pay that price for 3 hours of fishing. Focus Channel Islands. May get some yellows or sea bass this fall.

All bluefin is extremely west on both tanner bank and Cortes bank from you. That’s an extremely far drive for your captain. I’m surprised the asshole captain is wanting to take your money for the excursion

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
If you are serious about the bluefin or bust trip. I would maximize fishing time at the Channel Islands.

You need to re evaluate your charter bro. No one is gonna pay that price for 3 hours of fishing. Focus Channel Islands. May get some yellows or sea bass this fall.

All bluefin is extremely west on both tanner bank and Cortes bank from you. That’s an extremely far drive for your captain. I’m surprised the asshole captain is wanting to take your money for the excursion
Damn that was a bit harsh. Tucker is one smooth guy #puresugar. Love his boat and he's fishy. I don't think calling him an asshole is appropriate. Maybe the charter master insisted on BF. If they are willing to pay, hey why not!

That is a bit of a far ride for some BF though.

I'm surprised this wasn't booked while at 22nd St, but his schedule might have been full already.

RamsNducks

Jul 2, 2016
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
None
Damn that was a bit harsh. Tucker is one smooth guy #puresugar. Love his boat and he's fishy. I don't think calling him an asshole is appropriate. Maybe the charter master insisted on BF. If they are willing to pay, hey why not!

That is a bit of a far ride for some BF though.
Who’s gonna pay that price for 450$? Lets be honest here. That’s taking advantage of the customer if they are joining the fleet at Banks. Sorry, if there was Bluefin to Be caught North we would be having Long Beach to Pedro heading north instead of west.

esgeo

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
I went on a 1.5 trip from Oxnard this time last year with Tucker. Fish were on the sixtymile bank. Figured we wouldn’t be going the distance. Trip left early, we ran the 13? hrs each way and brought live squid. It was a great day and FYI Cortes/tanner are a lot shorter of a run than sixtymile from Oxnard. Fishing with 10 people on anchor is a lot better than 20+
A3ABDA76-6EF6-45D7-827F-2871B6E04B1A.jpeg

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Who’s gonna pay that price for 450$? Lets be honest here. That’s taking advantage of the customer if they are joining the fleet at Banks. Sorry, if there was Bluefin to Be caught North we would be having Long Beach to Pedro heading north instead of west.
I hear you and I wouldn't pay that, but again we don't know the circumstances.

Everytime I see spots open on the Outrider, I take a peep because I like that boat and the Captain and it's usually booked up all season with Charters.

spize909

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
Maybe they know something YOU don't. There is no benefit for them to "take advantage" of the customer. That said, the op put it in the wrong forum.

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
I went on a 1.5 trip from Oxnard this time last year with Tucker. Fish were on the sixtymile bank. Figured we wouldn’t be going the distance. Trip left early, we ran the 13? hrs each way and brought live squid. It was a great day and FYI Cortes/tanner are a lot shorter of a run than sixtymile from Oxnard. Fishing with 10 people on anchor is a lot better than 20+View attachment 976099

Just curious, how much actual fishing time?

RamsNducks

Jul 2, 2016
Long Beach
Name
Brandon
Boat
None
I went on a 1.5 trip from Oxnard this time last year with Tucker. Fish were on the sixtymile bank. Figured we wouldn’t be going the distance. Trip left early, we ran the 13? hrs each way and brought live squid. It was a great day and FYI Cortes/tanner are a lot shorter of a run than sixtymile from Oxnard. Fishing with 10 people on anchor is a lot better than 20+View attachment 976099
Well let’s hope you get em. I just find it funny that Oxnard wants to jump into the bluefin action. When Long Beach to San Pedro would have seen something North. But continues to fish west. Both Long Beach and Pedro have more boats than you and covers more ground.

Best of luck either way.

spize909

Well-Known "Member"
Mar 14, 2004
i.e.
Visit site
Name
jeff
Boat
no
math in my head says 8 hours or so.........problem is that this is a dark/dusk bite and they won't see much of that although I don't think the Tanner is out of reach from Oxnard. What kind of speed can the Outrider cruise at?

Reactions: kevina

esgeo

Well-Known "Member"
Feb 12, 2015
Tulsa, OK
Name
Eric
Boat
Feelfree Lure 11.5
I think we were anchored up by 8:30 AM, and left at dark. Fish were on the banks at this point and feeding during the day. It was a really busy day down there and we managed like 13 or 14 bites on real long soaks and landed 10 (plus one yellowfin) despite skiffs constantly running over our lines.

Dudley613

Well-Known "Member"
May 20, 2015
Inyotuckee CA
Name
Chris
Boat
21' Cole superhawk "Beep Beep", 20' bayrunner open
Well let’s hope you get em. I just find it funny that Oxnard wants to jump into the bluefin action. When Long Beach to San Pedro would have seen something North. But continues to fish west. Both Long Beach and Pedro have more boats than you and covers more ground.

Best of luck either way.
The boat has been in Pedro all summer. Thanks for your input

Reactions: solid72

SouthBayKiller

Mar 27, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Name
Robert
Boat
none
Im pretty sure it’s closer to Oxnard than to San Diego. Should be able to pretty much fish sun up to sun down or longer on a 1.5.

Reactions: Dudley613

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
math in my head says 8 hours or so.........problem is that this is a dark/dusk bite and they won't see much of that although I don't think the Tanner is out of reach from Oxnard. What kind of speed can the Outrider cruise at?
What it can cruise and will cruise is different. I would ASSuME probable around 10-12 like the other boats, but who really knows.

r8rs4lf

Jun 17, 2017
Tree Juan ho
Name
Al
Boat
Salty AF
Im pretty sure it’s closer to Oxnard than to San Diego. Should be able to pretty much fish sun up to sun down or longer on a 1.5.
Looking at Navionics it does seem doable from Oxnard. Rough estimate is about 120 miles one way. My initial thought was they were going to the backside of SCI from Oxnard because that seems to be where the bite is currently.

I haven't heard of anything biting over in the banks as of late. I remember when I did my overnight to SCI on the Outrider, the Freedom went to Cortes I believe and killed it.

Last edited: