PENN
Sep 8, 2009
San diego
Name
James Walker
Boat
Champion - 201 Bertram 50
Short Version:
1.5 day trip on the Outrider. Departed Tuesday evening and fished Wednesday. Long run to the fishing grounds, but limited the boat out on BF just after noon. Picked a few good grade YT at one of our local islands to finish up the trip. Outrider is bad ass, go fish it.

Long Version:
I rarely post here on BD, but I chartered the Outrider Tuesday for a 1.5 day trip with some friends and family, so I thought I would give my review of the boat. I spent many years going on charter and party boats out of San Diego. Around six years ago my father purchased a sportfisher and I got away from fishing charters. He generally posts whatever reports we make from his account. In mid March with Covid related closures coming, we decided it would be a good time for some much needed extended engine work. If everything goes well, the boat will be back in action in time for some yellowfin in September. In the mean time I've been watching from the shore while everyone and their mother has a epic season with lots of quality fish. After bouncing around the idea to some guys for a couple months I said screw it we are going to charter a boat. I initially intended to charter a 6 pack, but my interest list for this trip quickly grew larger than a boat of that size could accommodate. I began doing my research trying to find a boat that was a good fit for this group.

Like many of you, I had my boats that I went on regularly, my skippers that I knew, deckhands that stayed between seasons and would remember you year after year. Once I began fishing on our boat exclusively, I lost a lot of those contacts. The captains and owners that I fished with are all pretty much gone now and half the boats have been renamed or sunk (We did a minimum of one trip per year on the Prowler with Captain Buzz).

As I searched for a boat, I kept hearing through word of mouth and even some reports on here about the Outrider. They came highly recommended, their crew had a long fishy reputation and their counts speak for themselves. I decided to pull the trigger and we where slated to head out at 8 pm on Monday 8/11 with a return time of 6 am on 8/13. I spoke repeatedly with Rene in the office and she was extremely helpful. The trip was full for us at 11 guys, mostly my family and friends.

As you all know, last weekend the bite totally went to shit. We went into Monday grateful to see that they had gotten at least a few fish and on Tuesday evening we were all down at the boat and ready to go. We found out that Jeff the owner was off for the trip so that left us with Captain Mike, Sal the night skipper, Chapo in the kitchen and Teddy on the deck.

This trip had a wide range of fishing experience from guys who have been fishing these waters for 40+ years to guys who didnt even know how to put a bait caster in free spool. I can only imagine what the crew thought of us when we drank half of the coors light on the boat before we were out of view of Point Loma.

The crew did a great job of managing covid concerns, keeping everyone at appropriate distances and constantly cleaning the boat. It became clear immediately once we left how much they wanted to catch fish. During the coast gaurd mandated safety brief, Captain Mike even said, "as much as you guys want fish, we want them more. For you guys this is a fun trip, for us this is food on our table." By the end of the trip it was obvious that all of the crew had the best of both worlds. They clearly worked their asses off to make sure that we had a good trip and caught fish, but they are also fishy as hell and still clearly enjoy the rush of hooking and boating quality fish.

We departed a bit earlier than planned and hit the bait barge around 8 pm. The guys on the bait barge brought us into a slot and Mike and the crew got off. I didnt hear what was said, but I watched the animations that ensued and it was clear the crew was not pleased with the bait. They walked up and down the barge checking tanks until they found one they liked. Another negotiation ensued, phone calls where made and after a few minutes el jefe of the barge showed up on a skiff. Couple more minutes and a handshake and we are loading up the right kind of bait.

These guys where meticulous. It took longer than I would have expected to load bait because each scoop they took to the boat was small (8-10 dines). When we finally departed, Mike said we where going to be fishing in American waters and we had a LONG run to make. We hung a right out of Point Loma and off we went. If they where my numbers I would give them to you, but this is their lively hood so thats about all I plan on saying about where we fished... that being said there has been pretty much one game in town this week and pretty much everyone knows what it was. We fished nearish the majority of the fleet.

I had one major concern about this boat when I booked it, and it was the bunk room. It looked jenky as hell in the photos, so when we laid down to sleep I was pleasantly surprised that it was probably the comfortable I've ever been outside of a stateroom. Most of the bunks had plugs near them to charge your phones and cameras and they ran the AC to keep the air circulating so we didn't have that still hot death that im used to while sleeping on these boats.

We where a little shy of the fishing grounds when the captain roused everyone around 530. We didn't find any early morning flat fall schools before then so we went straight into bait fishing. There was probably close to 100 other boats in the area. Breakfast burritos in the morning, outstanding. The crew put on another seminar on how we would be fishing as we finished breakfast. I have always made it a point to try to learn every chance I get, but I rarely expect to be told something I don't already know anymore when it comes to fishing a party boat. I was pleasantly surprised when the crew provided us with numerous tips and tricks that I had never heard before. By the end of the trip I had at least three other experienced fisherman tell me that they also where surprised by how much they learned.

We spent most of the morning puddling around on sonar marks, throwing bait at most of them. No foamers early and the fish weren't real reactive to chum. Captain Mike was not afraid to move away from the fleet and find his own fish all day. After we moved away from most of the fleet we found our first foamer. Slid up to it, got some reaction to our chum and a few guys hook up on bait in the stern. One is a first time fisherman and as the tuna went on its initial run, he tried turning the reel. Since that didn't work he free spooled the reel which then exploded in a ball of line and tears over his now long gone fish. We boated two bluefin around 30 lbs there and everyone had their fun poking at the guy who lost his fish.

A moto of this trip was leave your feelings in your purse on the dock. This crew was a lean mean shit talking machine... which fit perfect with our guys. I farmed a fish after stepping down the floro leader and got 15 minutes of education about how big of a peice of shit I was from the whole boat. Anyone who didn't have their fish in the boat in under 3 minutes had a group of fisherman and deckhands following them around ripping them for losing to a bluegil. Everyone on the boat was a good sport about it.

After our first couple fish were on the boat we put out trollers moved farther away from the fleet. We got a free one on the cedar plug that turned into another on bait. We then went into a slower time with more foamers around most of which didn't want to play. Around 1030 we found a school that wanted to play a little bit. Got onto the standard slow bluefin pick, one or two hanging at all times. That kept up for about thirty minutes until a big group of biters came through. I think everyone except one guy was hooked up. Again I can't say enough about the crew and their abilities. I think of the 11 fish we hooked in that flurry we only lost one and it was clearly the anglers fault.

When we parked on this stop there was a couple boats in the distance. After about an hour of fishing a fleet of both sportfishers and private boaters had joined us, though everyone was mostly respectful. Of course after we talked about that a couple of guys drove through and parked right in our chum. Some words were exchanged and luckily it didn't shut down the bite. We fished at a pretty steady pace until we had the boat limited around 1 pm.

All of the fish where cookie cutter 30-40 pound bluefin, most closer to 30 pounds. They where almost all caught on 25 lb with number 1 - 2 O/T circle hooks. I fished 20 lb all day with a #1 owner mutu circle hook. I paid the price for sizing down the line twice, one of which came in a lul between hookups and felt like a better fish. I connected on a long soak with about 200 of my 400 yard spool already off the reel. The line was screaming off the reel, quickly passing the color change into my final 100 yards and not slowing. I was trying to decide whether or not to tighten down the drag when it popped after about a 20 second run. Never got it turned around.

There were a couple jig fish caught and some came on long soaks, but the majority of the fish came closeish to the boat on a hot sardine.

The crew were outstanding fisherman and hooked a good chunk of fish at first. After some practice the guys had it down pretty well and everyone was able to hook and catch at least one of their fish. This is the first time I have been on a party boat since bluefin went to a two fish limit but the guys did a good job communicating and figuring out who had their two already and who didn't. I can see how guys could get frustrated if they had trouble hooking up and the rest of the boat wound up filling the limit, but I can also see how an experienced fisherman who spent a lot of money to go on this trip could get annoyed that he was limited after first stop or two. Luckily we had none of those issues with our group.

Once we hit limits Chapo hopped on the grill and made some bad ass pastrami sandwiches with pasta salad. He also provided snacks between meals, the morning snack was yogurt with granola and fruit. The afternoon snack was nachos and jalapeños. With a long run ahead of us we turned south and started towards home with a plan to stop on one of our local offshore islands to see if we could get some yellowtail to cooperate. During the drive half the guys napped and the other half powered through the rest of the coors light and any other cold beer they could get ahold of.

We rolled into our last stop around 5 pm, anchored up and started throwing bait. A couple minutes in some bonita come on board and then the guy who free spooled his rod with a tuna on at the first spot goes bendo. This time its one of the right kind. A few minutes later a 25 lb yellowtail hits the deck. Crew kept the chum line going and we started getting big boils all around the boat. Next thing you know everyone is hooking up.

I fished the bass rod with 16 lb and had a blast on my first two, one good 25 lb fish and one 10 pound baby. The third one came unbuttoned (kinda weird with a circle hook) and the fourth was in the middle of ripping line off my spool when the reel came disconnected from the rod. It fell, bounced off the rail, broke off the fish and fell into my knee where I pinned it. I can't believe it didn't go overboard... it must have loosened up during the first few fish and I didn't notice. Anyways it was about this time that one of our wonderful seals joined the party. We where almost out of bait so the chum line went away and we picked at awesome calico fishing for the last hour or so.

Most of the guys started working on finishing off the beer and cleaning up for dinner while some of the crew again demonstrated how good they are at fishing, with Teddy boating a calico on almost every cast using a large tube.

We had a smooth downhill ride to the dock with limits on good bluefin and 11 good island grade yellowtail to boot. Kung Pow chicken and rice for dinner and a good night's sleep on the way in. Back at the dock at 0630.

The crew didn't ask me to post this and unless they read the forums they won't know I did either. My genuine respect for them is wholeheartedly earned. I have a hard time articulating chartering a boat when we have our own, but after this trip I am genuinely considering making this an annual thing. If I didnt have a boat, after that trip I would be exclusively fishing the outrider.

Captain Mike actively chased fish all day. It would have been easy to look at how far we ran on this trip and say fk it we will just go run the usual closer spots and hope they come back, or let's chase island yellowtail. He made his own fish and every time the boat shut down was on the rail or the bait tank working.

I'll see you guys out there! Good luck.

20200812_140545.jpg

20200812_134817.jpg

20200812_140632.jpg

20200812_140649.jpg

20200813_064250.jpg

IMG956922.jpg

IMG956908.jpg

IMG956906.jpg

IMG_8233.JPG

20200813_180704.jpg

20200813_095401.jpg

Upvote 0

Rcpescador

Feb 18, 2019
Garden grove
Name
Roger cortez
Boat
None
Nice catch and a good report.we were out ther also and I seen you guys,we did alright we got 5-30lbers also for 5 of us so we were happy just to be fishing.

Upvote 0

woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Been impressed this week with both your write up and "picasso"'s......exceptional reporting!! Photos are great too!! Thank you for renewing my faith in BD and it's reporting members. Great trip... and post brother!
    :notworthy :urno1:

Upvote 0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Bay Area, CA
    Name
    Christopher Hand
    Boat
    Triton
    Thanks for the write up exactly what I was looking for to make my decision between spending the extra $$$ or not to go on the outrider. Looks like you had a blast!

Upvote 0

fishnfool2

Chapo
    May 18, 2010
    IE menifee ca
    Name
    chapo
    Boat
    Outrider Sportfishing
    Short Version:
    1.5 day trip on the Outrider. Departed Tuesday evening and fished Wednesday. Long run to the fishing grounds, but limited the boat out on BF just after noon. Picked a few good grade YT at one of our local islands to finish up the trip. Outrider is bad ass, go fish it.

Long Version:
    I rarely post here on BD, but I chartered the Outrider Tuesday for a 1.5 day trip with some friends and family, so I thought I would give my review of the boat. I spent many years going on charter and party boats out of San Diego. Around six years ago my father purchased a sportfisher and I got away from fishing charters. He generally posts whatever reports we make from his account. In mid March with Covid related closures coming, we decided it would be a good time for some much needed extended engine work. If everything goes well, the boat will be back in action in time for some yellowfin in September. In the mean time I've been watching from the shore while everyone and their mother has a epic season with lots of quality fish. After bouncing around the idea to some guys for a couple months I said screw it we are going to charter a boat. I initially intended to charter a 6 pack, but my interest list for this trip quickly grew larger than a boat of that size could accommodate. I began doing my research trying to find a boat that was a good fit for this group.

Like many of you, I had my boats that I went on regularly, my skippers that I knew, deckhands that stayed between seasons and would remember you year after year. Once I began fishing on our boat exclusively, I lost a lot of those contacts. The captains and owners that I fished with are all pretty much gone now and half the boats have been renamed or sunk (We did a minimum of one trip per year on the Prowler with Captain Buzz).

As I searched for a boat, I kept hearing through word of mouth and even some reports on here about the Outrider. They came highly recommended, their crew had a long fishy reputation and their counts speak for themselves. I decided to pull the trigger and we where slated to head out at 8 pm on Monday 8/11 with a return time of 6 am on 8/13. I spoke repeatedly with Rene in the office and she was extremely helpful. The trip was full for us at 11 guys, mostly my family and friends.

As you all know, last weekend the bite totally went to shit. We went into Monday grateful to see that they had gotten at least a few fish and on Tuesday evening we were all down at the boat and ready to go. We found out that Jeff the owner was off for the trip so that left us with Captain Mike, Sal the night skipper, Chapo in the kitchen and Teddy on the deck.

This trip had a wide range of fishing experience from guys who have been fishing these waters for 40+ years to guys who didnt even know how to put a bait caster in free spool. I can only imagine what the crew thought of us when we drank half of the coors light on the boat before we were out of view of Point Loma.

The crew did a great job of managing covid concerns, keeping everyone at appropriate distances and constantly cleaning the boat. It became clear immediately once we left how much they wanted to catch fish. During the coast gaurd mandated safety brief, Captain Mike even said, "as much as you guys want fish, we want them more. For you guys this is a fun trip, for us this is food on our table." By the end of the trip it was obvious that all of the crew had the best of both worlds. They clearly worked their asses off to make sure that we had a good trip and caught fish, but they are also fishy as hell and still clearly enjoy the rush of hooking and boating quality fish.

We departed a bit earlier than planned and hit the bait barge around 8 pm. The guys on the bait barge brought us into a slot and Mike and the crew got off. I didnt hear what was said, but I watched the animations that ensued and it was clear the crew was not pleased with the bait. They walked up and down the barge checking tanks until they found one they liked. Another negotiation ensued, phone calls where made and after a few minutes el jefe of the barge showed up on a skiff. Couple more minutes and a handshake and we are loading up the right kind of bait.

These guys where meticulous. It took longer than I would have expected to load bait because each scoop they took to the boat was small (8-10 dines). When we finally departed, Mike said we where going to be fishing in American waters and we had a LONG run to make. We hung a right out of Point Loma and off we went. If they where my numbers I would give them to you, but this is their lively hood so thats about all I plan on saying about where we fished... that being said there has been pretty much one game in town this week and pretty much everyone knows what it was. We fished nearish the majority of the fleet.

I had one major concern about this boat when I booked it, and it was the bunk room. It looked jenky as hell in the photos, so when we laid down to sleep I was pleasantly surprised that it was probably the comfortable I've ever been outside of a stateroom. Most of the bunks had plugs near them to charge your phones and cameras and they ran the AC to keep the air circulating so we didn't have that still hot death that im used to while sleeping on these boats.

We where a little shy of the fishing grounds when the captain roused everyone around 530. We didn't find any early morning flat fall schools before then so we went straight into bait fishing. There was probably close to 100 other boats in the area. Breakfast burritos in the morning, outstanding. The crew put on another seminar on how we would be fishing as we finished breakfast. I have always made it a point to try to learn every chance I get, but I rarely expect to be told something I don't already know anymore when it comes to fishing a party boat. I was pleasantly surprised when the crew provided us with numerous tips and tricks that I had never heard before. By the end of the trip I had at least three other experienced fisherman tell me that they also where surprised by how much they learned.

We spent most of the morning puddling around on sonar marks, throwing bait at most of them. No foamers early and the fish weren't real reactive to chum. Captain Mike was not afraid to move away from the fleet and find his own fish all day. After we moved away from most of the fleet we found our first foamer. Slid up to it, got some reaction to our chum and a few guys hook up on bait in the stern. One is a first time fisherman and as the tuna went on its initial run, he tried turning the reel. Since that didn't work he free spooled the reel which then exploded in a ball of line and tears over his now long gone fish. We boated two bluefin around 30 lbs there and everyone had their fun poking at the guy who lost his fish.

A moto of this trip was leave your feelings in your purse on the dock. This crew was a lean mean shit talking machine... which fit perfect with our guys. I farmed a fish after stepping down the floro leader and got 15 minutes of education about how big of a peice of shit I was from the whole boat. Anyone who didn't have their fish in the boat in under 3 minutes had a group of fisherman and deckhands following them around ripping them for losing to a bluegil. Everyone on the boat was a good sport about it.

After our first couple fish were on the boat we put out trollers moved farther away from the fleet. We got a free one on the cedar plug that turned into another on bait. We then went into a slower time with more foamers around most of which didn't want to play. Around 1030 we found a school that wanted to play a little bit. Got onto the standard slow bluefin pick, one or two hanging at all times. That kept up for about thirty minutes until a big group of biters came through. I think everyone except one guy was hooked up. Again I can't say enough about the crew and their abilities. I think of the 11 fish we hooked in that flurry we only lost one and it was clearly the anglers fault.

When we parked on this stop there was a couple boats in the distance. After about an hour of fishing a fleet of both sportfishers and private boaters had joined us, though everyone was mostly respectful. Of course after we talked about that a couple of guys drove through and parked right in our chum. Some words were exchanged and luckily it didn't shut down the bite. We fished at a pretty steady pace until we had the boat limited around 1 pm.

All of the fish where cookie cutter 30-40 pound bluefin, most closer to 30 pounds. They where almost all caught on 25 lb with number 1 - 2 O/T circle hooks. I fished 20 lb all day with a #1 owner mutu circle hook. I paid the price for sizing down the line twice, one of which came in a lul between hookups and felt like a better fish. I connected on a long soak with about 200 of my 400 yard spool already off the reel. The line was screaming off the reel, quickly passing the color change into my final 100 yards and not slowing. I was trying to decide whether or not to tighten down the drag when it popped after about a 20 second run. Never got it turned around.

There were a couple jig fish caught and some came on long soaks, but the majority of the fish came closeish to the boat on a hot sardine.

The crew were outstanding fisherman and hooked a good chunk of fish at first. After some practice the guys had it down pretty well and everyone was able to hook and catch at least one of their fish. This is the first time I have been on a party boat since bluefin went to a two fish limit but the guys did a good job communicating and figuring out who had their two already and who didn't. I can see how guys could get frustrated if they had trouble hooking up and the rest of the boat wound up filling the limit, but I can also see how an experienced fisherman who spent a lot of money to go on this trip could get annoyed that he was limited after first stop or two. Luckily we had none of those issues with our group.

Once we hit limits Chapo hopped on the grill and made some bad ass pastrami sandwiches with pasta salad. He also provided snacks between meals, the morning snack was yogurt with granola and fruit. The afternoon snack was nachos and jalapeños. With a long run ahead of us we turned south and started towards home with a plan to stop on one of our local offshore islands to see if we could get some yellowtail to cooperate. During the drive half the guys napped and the other half powered through the rest of the coors light and any other cold beer they could get ahold of.

We rolled into our last stop around 5 pm, anchored up and started throwing bait. A couple minutes in some bonita come on board and then the guy who free spooled his rod with a tuna on at the first spot goes bendo. This time its one of the right kind. A few minutes later a 25 lb yellowtail hits the deck. Crew kept the chum line going and we started getting big boils all around the boat. Next thing you know everyone is hooking up.

I fished the bass rod with 16 lb and had a blast on my first two, one good 25 lb fish and one 10 pound baby. The third one came unbuttoned (kinda weird with a circle hook) and the fourth was in the middle of ripping line off my spool when the reel came disconnected from the rod. It fell, bounced off the rail, broke off the fish and fell into my knee where I pinned it. I can't believe it didn't go overboard... it must have loosened up during the first few fish and I didn't notice. Anyways it was about this time that one of our wonderful seals joined the party. We where almost out of bait so the chum line went away and we picked at awesome calico fishing for the last hour or so.

Most of the guys started working on finishing off the beer and cleaning up for dinner while some of the crew again demonstrated how good they are at fishing, with Teddy boating a calico on almost every cast using a large tube.

We had a smooth downhill ride to the dock with limits on good bluefin and 11 good island grade yellowtail to boot. Kung Pow chicken and rice for dinner and a good night's sleep on the way in. Back at the dock at 0630.

The crew didn't ask me to post this and unless they read the forums they won't know I did either. My genuine respect for them is wholeheartedly earned. I have a hard time articulating chartering a boat when we have our own, but after this trip I am genuinely considering making this an annual thing. If I didnt have a boat, after that trip I would be exclusively fishing the outrider.

Captain Mike actively chased fish all day. It would have been easy to look at how far we ran on this trip and say fk it we will just go run the usual closer spots and hope they come back, or let's chase island yellowtail. He made his own fish and every time the boat shut down was on the rail or the bait tank working.

I'll see you guys out there! Good luck.

View attachment 1185541

View attachment 1185542

View attachment 1185543

View attachment 1185544

View attachment 1185545

View attachment 1185546

View attachment 1185547

View attachment 1185548

View attachment 1185549

View attachment 1185550

View attachment 1185551
    Good times and appreciate you taking the time for the write up see you donkey's next year 👊🤙

Upvote 0