beskew171

Apr 29, 2018
Kingsburg
Name
Bryan Eskew
Boat
Hobie Outback
Hello Everyone!,
I am excited to announce I have bought my first boat after years of peddling my Hobie kayak and need some expert insight into what I need to maximize my upcoming fishing season. I was fortunate to find a Davis Bahia 25 with two nice bait tanks, a new kicker, and a full-on Simrad set up with 2 12inch evo3 screens with autopilot for main engine and kicker. I will do a great deal of rock fishing on the central coast, MB- Big Sur. Additionally, I will fish for Salmon in Monterey- SF. I really would like to fish for So-Cal pelagics as well. While I have some gear, I would like some input as to what I should look for moving forward. I will outline what I anticipate as a start and hope to learn what is needed. Chime in on brand sizes etc. I plan on going to the Fred Hall show to learn more and check for deals. I think I have a good boat now and should slowly build good gear so please school me with knowledge!

Salmon
2 Electric downriggers,
2 Rods ( G Loomis Glass Salmon trolling rods)

Rockfish:
3 Seigler SG reels
3 Shimano Trevala rods (6,6 MH jigging)

* would like to use Seigler reels as salmon reels on Loomis 8Ft+ rods. 40-65 lb power pro with 25lb fluoro top shot.

Pelagics

Seigler reels Above with some form of casting rod...
Seigler LG or Shimano Talica 10/12II with.....What casting rod?...
Seigler OS/Talica 20II with ? trolling rod...

* add ons = Two solid bamboo gaffs, 4 and 6 FT.

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
Congrats!!!! You'll find that the only species in the MB area / SF area that you can now get with a boat as opposed to a kayak is albacore. You probably knew that already.

Re salmon fishing I would throw a deep six diver between your two downriggers so you can get three rods going. As far as salmon gear goes I wouldn't over think it, it doesn't take much to reel them in.

I can't help you with socal fishing because I haven't started

beskew171

Apr 29, 2018
Kingsburg
Name
Bryan Eskew
Boat
Hobie Outback
Thanks guys! Honestly, that boat is turn-key and I am glad I can now take friends and family fishing. How should I approach rod reel combos? I hope my rockfish setups can double for salmon. At least the reels? Also, what is the bare minimum rod/reels for yellowfin tuna? Thanks!

gettingbentwithbo

Get Bent!
Mar 7, 2009
Riverside
gettingbentwithbo.com
Name
Bo
Boat
14' Starcraft SF SS
That's a sweet little boat you just got! You are going to be super stoked on her!

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
Hobie Tandem Island
I had ~50-100ft mono topshot on my salmon reels so they did not double as rockfish reels(straight braid). For salmon i used a very fast action, long rod with a medium power butt. Rockfish were stiffer rods since we attach so much weight to the line and the fish are basically dead weight. So two different rod/reel setups for me. I miss salmon fishing already, season opens in April!!!