Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
Fishing was great but the catching was not so good. This was my first time to fish this boat so I thought I would share with you what I felt was a positive experience.

Arrived to Seaforth early to meet a long lost buddy from Missourri. We had a few beers and some sandwiches from the restraunt there....very tasty! We had all been watching the fish counts and new the Tuna had been gone for a while...The 2 day boats were returning with rockfish....oh boy.

We boarded and got our gear stowed away. Plenty of room for rods and tackle boxes.....and we were the last to get on.... Bunk room was funky but comfortable...a quick look around and I am reassured as the boat is in excellent condition.

Captain Paul...looks like a furry bear...comes and gives us the speach while the boys load the bait...a mix of sardines and nice chovy. Our fears are realized as Captain Paul lets us know the Albacore seen has been non existent....but we are going to try anyways and take it from there. He lets us know that some Yellowtail have been taken off the kelps and they have been nicer size so be ready....close to half of the hooks up were lost on his last trip due to light line letting the YT get back into the kelp where it can set its self free.

So we begin at day light...and troll...and troll some more...couple kelps....one of the USC boys onboard hooks a YT on light line...and sure enough ..breaks off in the kelp....we troll and troll...and troll. About 3/4 of day is over....pull up to a paddy...toss a Sardine out on 30# ande and 30# fluoro....I don't get hit right away.....than bam....fish on! I managed a 20# Yellowtail that would be the only fish landed for the day. Not my favorite way to win the jackpot.

So we finally give up for the day.....I must say the cook was not the most experienced...so I am wondering how he is going to manage to cook Ribeye steaks for 20 people...never fear...Do every Capt. Paul comes into the galley and makes perfect Ribeye steaks for all of us. Dinner was excellent. Almost Long Range Quality.

Capt. Paul gives us the low down...no one really caught shit today....so he puts it to a vote....try some more...or go up to the Finger bank for Rockfish....thankfully were going for rockfish...I didn't want to troll around all day again.

Wake up in the morning after a smooth ride up and were fishing in flat calm green water...and the fish are biting. Nice Reds are coming over the rail...and I mean nice ones....5-6 pounders...a few salmon grouper and a couple of Lingcod as well. Current is ripping so you needed a 16 ounce sinker...which most didnt have. End of the day we have around a 150 assorted Rockfish and 6 lingcod. Day 2 Jackpot was an 8-10 pound lingcod. I managed my share of rockfish...but had been targetting those pesky lings....litterally on the last 2 drops I caught 1 lingcod each.....nice!

All in all we had a good trip. Capt. Paul runs a tight ship. Food was good, beer was priced right and crew was excellent....you can really tell the difference when you go on a boat that is normally a charter boat vs. an open party boat....the service is so much better.

Sucked that there were no tuna....great that we caught some rockfish....great that we got to all get away from life and hang out offshore with the Crew of the Outer Limits and meet other cool passengers!

Attachments

drdiesel

May 11, 2007
Escondido
Name
Thomas
Boat
when I win the lottery
Didnt I tell you to take some bottom gear! glad you got to do some catching, congrats. :appl:

PullinAhi

Fisherman
Feb 8, 2008
Mission Viejo
Name
Ryan
Boat
18 foot CC
Boy does the outer limits know rockfish. That's all they do on the winter is rockfish research. Nice yellow. Beautiful reds.

ash

Chief Inspiration Officer
Aug 28, 2007
North San Diego County
Name
Ash
Boat
Still looking
Thanks for the report. Even though the right kind were not biting the fish tacos were!

BellyBuster

Oct 7, 2004
CA
Name
Ryan
Boat
KeyWest 1720
Love that Outer Limits boat. We charter that boat every year. Was Greggo a trip or what. That german bastard had us cracking up the whole trip.

Pangamaster

Cow Town Here I come!
Jul 1, 2008
San Ramon, CA
Name
Dave
Boat
SD Long Range or Bay Area Day Boats.
I think the boat does have RSW. My yellowtail fillets from the first day came back to the dock nice and cold from the fish hold but not frozen. Yes, Greggo was a trip. Ha ha.

moezmoe

Dead Magic
Aug 23, 2004
San Diego
Name
Moe
Boat
The one im on
Class operation......is this the worst year in history or what? My buddy who has been at since the early 80's (im sure there is an older crew on this fourm) says that this the worst season he can remember....... but WTF?????? :hali_olutta:

jayyyy

Oct 7, 2008
NorCal
Name
jay
Boat
'04 Sea Pro 220 WA / 225 Honda
Fresh fish dinners ease the pain of no tuna, thanks for the report.

Shogunsc4

May 5, 2008
Glendora
Name
Sheki
Boat
na
Class operation......is this the worst year in history or what? My buddy who has been at since the early 80's (im sure there is an older crew on this fourm) says that this the worst season he can remember....... but WTF?????? :hali_olutta:
what do you expect....obama is in office...

captjeffjones

Embellishment detector.
Jun 6, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Name
Captain Jeff Jones
Boat
Depends on which client....
Obama's in office! Ha! I love it. I'm going to say that from now on. "Sorry the fish didn't cooperate guys, Obama's in office." Thanks!

I just had a trip where the guys voted to fish offshore on the 2nd day. Frustrating. I'm glad you guys got to get some fillets.

pyle762

Jun 25, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Name
Brian
Boat
12 foot jon boat
Obama's in office! Ha! I love it. I'm going to say that from now on. "Sorry the fish didn't cooperate guys, Obama's in office." Thanks!

I just had a trip where the guys voted to fish offshore on the 2nd day. Frustrating. I'm glad you guys got to get some fillets.
Refer below