Outboards on a 24 FB (I know this has been discussed but have not seen reviews from owners)

tailspin808

Mar 4, 2012
Honolulu HI
Name
Robert
Boat
Shirley C.
Long story short, I temporarily moved to Korea for a job and had to sell my 24 open that I redid the floor and loved.

Unable to find any for sale in Hawaii, I found a 24FB in CA and it is getting shipped this week. I plan to do similar work to the floor, but also shrink cabin to 24 open size, and bring down raised section of FB floor to level or maybe a few inches lower than front section of FB... (will act as shade for crew sitting under bridge but not in cabin, bring down center of gravity a bit, and enable me to jump on built in cooler then FB without a ladder for quick adjustments while fighting fish) Maybe... or maybe take off FB and convert to command bridge... will decided when it gets here. All up in the air until it gets here and I can start poking around.

The main question is, can anyone who converted to outboards confirm or deny that the boat gets very tippy and is not worth doing? Better yet, can someone who did this confirm the boat still handles well and it is absolutely the way to go?

The issue is the AQD40A with 280DP leg that's currently powering boat has unknown hours and in need of a complete overhaul. Oil leaks everywhere, rusted bolt heads, gasket sealant all over, etc. I plan to trash the motor but the D3 turbo issues make repowering to another Volvo a non-starter.

As a secondary question, anybody know of a easy Diesel replacement for a AQD40 with 280 leg? I would look for a AQAD41 and 290dp leg, but they are getting pricy with parts harder and harder to find. Don't want to be stuck with repairs I can't economically do 5 or 10 years from now because of hard to find parts.

I also do not plan to do a bracket as I prefer to make an extension just wide enough to fit twin Suzuki 140s. Will attempt to do it by bending melamine along the contour of bottom as in this video.

As a third question, would like to know if anybody has knowledge/reasons (besides ease of install) a bracket maybe a better idea than a built on hull extension pod?

Thank in advance for any input.

Reactions: SkipJack Boats
SkipJack Boats
SkipJack Boats
You called me once right?
That's a great idea and I've had people asking if we can cut the cabin back on a 262. A guy named Brad came by and blew me away with his custom Crestliner that was a similar boat.
He basically turned it into a heavy duty express.
Upvote 0
tailspin808
tailspin808
It wasn't me that called. but happy to hear Skipjack Boats endorses the idea of shrinking the cabin. Can you chime in on outboards on a bracket? Does it make the boat much more tippy? I assume yes it does but is it mild, a lot, or crazy dangerous, don't do it?
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

TheWesNMads

May 18, 2020
Yorba Linda
Name
Dan
Boat
1979 24’ skipjack fly bridge
I don’t have any advice for your motor but on the cooler as a step to the bridge….I plan also to install one to use as a step up to the bridge as well. With my short legs, I’m going to build and glass tackle storage as a base 8 or so inches tall to mount the cooler on. This will stick out 5 or so inches aft. This will act as a first step onto the cooler, third step will be that hump the skippy cooler has and in theory it’ll be easier to climb up there. Also doing a shorty swivel seat for the skippers chair and some foot room to the left after making a custom bench seat so the skipper can spin backwards to hang out or fish from…or get down quickly.
I’m waiting for guys to say just put a 383 in it 😆 I do really enjoy my vortec Chevy and it’s plenty of power, love knowing it’s only 4 grand max to replace if need be. Diesels and outboards so nice though!

Reactions: tailspin808

Big_Tuna_

Aug 3, 2017
San Diego
Name
Bigtuna
Boat
Parker 2310
Long story short, I temporarily moved to Korea for a job and had to sell my 24 open that I redid the floor and loved.

Unable to find any for sale in Hawaii, I found a 24FB in CA and it is getting shipped this week. I plan to do similar work to the floor, but also shrink cabin to 24 open size, and bring down raised section of FB floor to level or maybe a few inches lower than front section of FB... (will act as shade for crew sitting under bridge but not in cabin, bring down center of gravity a bit, and enable me to jump on built in cooler then FB without a ladder for quick adjustments while fighting fish) Maybe... or maybe take off FB and convert to command bridge... will decided when it gets here. All up in the air until it gets here and I can start poking around.

The main question is, can anyone who converted to outboards confirm or deny that the boat gets very tippy and is not worth doing? Better yet, can someone who did this confirm the boat still handles well and it is absolutely the way to go?

The issue is the AQD40A with 280DP leg that's currently powering boat has unknown hours and in need of a complete overhaul. Oil leaks everywhere, rusted bolt heads, gasket sealant all over, etc. I plan to trash the motor but the D3 turbo issues make repowering to another Volvo a non-starter.

As a secondary question, anybody know of a easy Diesel replacement for a AQD40 with 280 leg? I would look for a AQAD41 and 290dp leg, but they are getting pricy with parts harder and harder to find. Don't want to be stuck with repairs I can't economically do 5 or 10 years from now because of hard to find parts.

I also do not plan to do a bracket as I prefer to make an extension just wide enough to fit twin Suzuki 140s. Will attempt to do it by bending melamine along the contour of bottom as in this video.

As a third question, would like to know if anybody has knowledge/reasons (besides ease of install) a bracket maybe a better idea than a built on hull extension pod?

Im no boat builder but I watched that video and it sure looks more difficult and time consuming compared to bolting on a bracket....

tailspin808
tailspin808
I agree, but I really wanted an extension. Now that I met someone with an extension on his 26 skippy FB and he stated it now has too much flotation in rear, I am going to make a bracket.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

jigstrike

SCUBA Spearing Daddy
Feb 28, 2004
Sabre Springs
Name
Tom McKinney
Boat
Pacific Option, a 2006 Tiara 3000 Open
I have always thought the fly bridge shape was similar to how crystaliner shaped the the life guard boats bridge and that if you cut out the seats/cabin area and deckes it over you could have a killer bridge behind that nice sloped protective wall. Depending on the deck height you might be able to squeze a bunk underneath it allowimg you to re arrange the cabin and regain some functionality that was cut away

FB_IMG_1634668346047.jpg

tailspin808
tailspin808
I'm not quite sure I'm following... Your saying remove flybridge, move cabin wall in, and make a command/sport bridge? Yeah, that is now how I am leaning if that is what your saying.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

KneppNasty

Snappin’ necks & cashin’ checks....
Sep 10, 2017
Seal Beach, CA
Name
Jeramy
Boat
Trophy 2509

HOLY SHIT that video was really cool, but looked like a TON of work!
I wonder how many man hours went into making that extension pod?! Dude obviously had some glass skillz too.

Im with the guy above me with regards to a bolt on bracket being much more cost effective and would cut back the project duration as well.

But whatever you end up doing, can’t wait to see how it turns out! 🙌🏽

Reactions: tailspin808
tailspin808
tailspin808
It's now gonna be a bracket, but not bolt on. I want stringers running threw them for strength and want to wrap the swim step around engines a bit. Need to get a side project out of the way then I will start. I'm thinking first cuts in January.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

tailspin808

Mar 4, 2012
Honolulu HI
Name
Robert
Boat
Shirley C.
Thanks for the input. Still many things up in the air and have not decided on what I am going to do. I do know the hull extension is out since I met a guy with a 26 with a 3' extension and he says it added to much flotation in the rear. He bought it like that so he could not give me a before and after ride opinion but he did say the rocking is not bad and certainly doesn't feel dangerous... but that is a 26, and my 24 could be a totally different story. Perhaps a bracket, but not a bolt on. Will still make one glassed in but just wont follow the bottom of the hull. Maybe even cut the transom and attach directly... ... ... I don't have a clue how I want to do it at this point...

Upvote 0

Arima-bob

Ship faced aquaholic
Mar 9, 2012
Too far from water
Name
Beeulzebob
Boat
uh....
I don’t know for fact, but I’ve heard that the 24fb with an outboard conversion changes the cg of the boat and causes it to ride funny. I know those 280’s can last a very long time too. I like diesel power in these boats

Reactions: SkipJack Boats
tailspin808
tailspin808
That doesn't sound like a desirable outcome... I am going to have more weight down bellow so hopefully it helps. Do you know if it rocks a lot more when stopped or at trolling speeds?
Upvote 0
Arima-bob
Arima-bob
It would probably depend on how you have it set up, but from what I understand is that it’s only an issue while riding on plane. I don’t think low speed or drift characteristics would change any.
Upvote 0
tailspin808
tailspin808
That is exactly what I would like to hear... and I hope that is true.
Upvote 0
Upvote 0