Outboard vs inboard

yellowtailnsd

May 25, 2010
San Diego,Ca.
Name
Jon
Boat
King Fish
So a little later this year I'll be looking to purchase a boat. I have a few skiffs with outboards. I will a bit more money this time to buy something a little more solid. What are some of your takes on outboard versus inboards? Which get better fuel economy? Do either run better?Do either last longer? Which are more cost effective to work on? Any input would be appreciated.

Pescador Paul

Well-Known "Member"
Jun 11, 2004
Carlsbad, CA
Name
Paul
Boat
Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
Do you mean outboard vs straight inboard, or outboard vs I/O? Although people often use the term "inboard" when refering to an I/O (aka stern drive), there are significant differences between the two.

Paul

Garrison

Garrison
May 21, 2008
Temecula
Name
Garrison
Boat
Albemarle 24'
I vote for stern drives, they take a bit more maintenance which, I can do my self and actually enjoy doing. They are the most efficient although by a very small margin and if it comes time to replace it, you don't need to tell your kids that they don't get to go to college anymore. If the boat stays in the water, think I would have to vote for the outboard. I have a little Honda on my rib and I don't think it will ever die, I have seen my friends do some pretty cruel things to it and it just seems to run better, think it is the 4 stroke roach series.

yellowtailnsd

May 25, 2010
San Diego,Ca.
Name
Jon
Boat
King Fish
Do you mean outboard vs straight inboard, or outboard vs I/O? Although people often use the term "inboard" when refering to an I/O (aka stern drive), there are significant differences between the two.

Paul
Please explain the difference. Sorry for my ignorance.This is exactly the reason why i asked here. I figured someone would set me straight.

Assalt Weapon

Well-Known "Member"
Jul 15, 2004
CA
Name
Bryan
Boat
Glacier Bay 2240SX
jon,

I have owned 9-10 boats...both i/o and outboard...

Inboard- Typically means a gas or diesel engine that has a shaft running down through the bottom of the boat with a propellor and a rudder....

Inboard/Outdrive- Has a gas or deisel engine near the transom (inside the boat) of the boat... connected to a outdrive, which is bolted outside the boat, but a shaft assembly connects the two.

I/O are typically less expensive up front, but typically have higher annual maintenance costs. However they are cheaper to replace.... Merc 5.7 crate moto(say 250hp) can run from $4k-6K pending what you are looking for. Outdrives cost $3K-5K...

Outboards- 4Stroke or 2stroke hpdi- at 250hp new start twice that amount $15-18K... HOwever they have lower annual expenses... But very expensive for a complete overhaul... Power head alone for 4Stroke can be $14K....installed...

Now the debate begins on Life Time hours of each.. .This is a debate... More of a ford chevy thing...

In my opinion with proper maintenance a I/O can go 2000 hrs...

In my opinion a new 200hp or above 4Stroke Outboard is good to 4000 hrs....

There are exceptions to all of this...

The reason why alot of people like the I/O is because the engine is typically the same as a Chevy 350 or 305 which has been marinized... Anyone with any engine skills can do basic maintenance on them...The same motor in their truck or cars...

The new 4strokes require pro mechanics for the most part...The computers alone that you have to have to work on them are very expensive...

Bottomline: Boating is expensive... Be sure you know what your budget is before you buy any boat... Feel free to pm me your number if you want more info.

shinerunner

BARKING MOONBAT
Apr 25, 2003
loafers glory
Visit site
Name
Jim
Boat
none
There was a guy at the ramp yesterday. Ski boat with I/O. He was asking for eveyone
launching and retreiving to hand off his bow line to get his boat to his trailer.
The engine died and would not start.
He forgot his transome plug. Like most I/O's, the engine sits in the bilge. Its a modified car engine. The starter will certainly be ruined what ever else in there will certainly be aged. Outboard engines do not sit in the bilge. he could have motored the boat to his trailer himself and put the plug in and resumed his sunny day on the water. I used to own an I/o. My bilge flooded the day I bought it brand new because the factory bait tank was not sealed properly. Seaswirl bought me an new starter and they fixed the seal. Next there is another hole in the stern with rubber hoses................
That is all

DoubletroubleII

Fish On!
Nov 18, 2008
Placerville, CA
Name
Greg
Boat
19' Harbercraft
I've had I/O's and outboards........outboards are much more reliable in my opinion.

I'm on the line as far as expense......just look at the threads on this site. Sure you can replace a shortblock for $x amount, but then you need this and that.....oh and by the way your outdrive is just about toast! The dollars add up.

I have found that once a major thing goes wrong in the engine compartment other things are right behind so you might as well just replace everything. With an outboard as soon as you replace it everything is new.....motor, fuel system, pumps, computer sh#t, impellers, the bang! With I/O's and everything is pieced together in the boat, it does not come as a single unit. Each piece is time and money.

I have found most people way underestimate on I/O's what it costs to repower.....and then what do have?....new motor with old....outdrive, generators, fuel injectors or carbs (yuck), lines, electrical, etc!

I'd go outboard and relax.

gecsr1

28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II"
Jul 15, 2005
Poway Ca
Name
Gary
Boat
28' Aquasport "Reel Adventure II" / PlainJaneRods
If you get a boat that's not trailerable then get a inborad with diesels. If you get a boat that's trailerable then get 4 stroke outboards. (twins)

I have always stayed away from gas inboards and I/O's. ( inborad outboards) I think both require alot more maintanence,,,

Just my opinion....

805gregg

May 7, 2009
Ojai, Ca
Name
Gregg
Boat
1991 Skipjak 262 "Mischief"
I searched until I found a good used 4 stroke, I want to get 2000 - 3000 hours out of my engine
Good luck with that, most outboards are considered throwaway, most within 10 years. They are way too complicated now to work on, you will need a good mechanic and a lot of luck. I'll stick with my I/O. I can do most of the work myself, and I love that, except when I'm doing it. I've had 4 I/O's and no major problems yet. you have to drive a Volvo DP through a heavy kelp bed to appreciate the beauty of the system. You won't do that with a blender. Plus outboards just look awful hung off the back of a nice looking boat, like an afterthought, whoops we forgot to include an engine.