Rachmak

Oct 13, 2020
Pasadena, Ca
Name
Jason
Boat
Non
Hey BD

I've searched the web and just haven't found any recent discussion to this question. I have a 2005 Tohatsu 9.8hp 4 stroke motor. It was recently serviced and starts right up when I'm at home. I typically store it using a transom saver so it's tilted UP. This has happened the last 3 trips where I would trailer it to the launch ramp (45 mins away) and when I put the motor down, the engine wouldn't start. I believe it would be flooded because I would remove the gas line, open the throttle and crank and wait fora good 10-15 minutes before getting it started. It's a bit nerve wracking because I'm at the launch ramp standing around and not sure if I will be able to get out on the water.

The funny thing is, at the end of my boating excursion, I would dock the boat, back my trailer into the water, and then when I retrieve my boat, the engine would be flooded again and I would have to unplug my gas line, open the throttle, and crank but it would start up on the first crank.

I think the issue is that the engine is flooded (vs not getting enough gas) because the "open throttle and crank" method eventually gets it going but I was hoping to get some input.

- Is the fact that I'm driving with the outboard tilted UP causing gas to be drained out engine? And if that's the case, should I trailer with it down?
- Or, if it is flooding, should I run remove the engine line and run motor dry before hitting the road?
- Does this happen to anyone else? And does this sound like a deeper mechanical issue with the outboard?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

onehottip

I Should Upgrade My Account
May 8, 2006
So cal
Name
Guerms
Boat
18.5 Wahoo cc , Evinrude Etec V6 135 HO
This is something new on a regular routine ? my guess is that the float check valve is not closing completely. It’s a simple fix.

Reactions: azbaseball
Upvote 0

Rachmak

Oct 13, 2020
Pasadena, Ca
Name
Jason
Boat
Non
This is something new on a regular routine ? my guess is that the float check valve is not closing completely. It’s a simple fix.

that's correct - it really has happened in the last 3 out of 4 outings where I took the boat out. I'll certainly check the float check valve. Thanks!

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
Easy fix until you can take down the carbs at home disconnect the hose and run the engine until drained like at the end of the trip. Same at the dock. It will stop the flooding and allow you to connect the hose and pump the bulb and start it up again

Upvote 0

FishinMcNuggets

I've edited enough I should section this post.
  • Oct 25, 2010
    Hermosa Beach, CA
    Name
    Mike
    Boat
    Avon 2.85 "C-¢"
    Easy fix until you can take down the carbs at home disconnect the hose and run the engine until drained like at the end of the trip. Same at the dock. It will stop the flooding and allow you to connect the hose and pump the bulb and start it up again
    We do this at the end of every trip, regardless. You don't want gas hanging out in your carb between trips. Ethanol eats stuff! Plus the varnishes, gum, oxidation, etc. All that stuff can mess with your jets. We run it with the hose disconnected. Then we put on the choke after it runs out, just to be sure to get every last bit out. I've never had to go in our carb. Our scooters get plugged jets every two weeks. Outboard, no issues.

Upvote 0