Outboard for Jon Boat

Discussion in 'Washington Fishing Reports' started by PNWMatt2016, Nov 6, 2018.

1. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Alright people, I need some opinions. Looking at getting a 14' Flat Bottom Aluminum (Jon Boat) so I can get to some upper river hunting areas. The boat is apprx 42 inches wide at the rear and 36 inches at the bow. 14' in length. There would be 2 adults (180-250lbs each) in the boat, max..Could sometimes just be me.. Trying to decide on on a used outboard... 9.9 horse ? or 15 horse? 2 stroke or 4 stroke? I want something reliable, but not more than $800. Hard to find 15 horse motors under $1200.00...But maybe theres one floating around! This is just to push 1-2 guys up and down stream. The rivers we would be on do not get rough, but there can be some good current...What would you go with? Any prior experience shared would be awesome!

Thanks and Tight Lines!

2. Captain Decent

Captain Decent I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Ryan
    Boat:
    Bertram 31 “Fast n Loose” 18ft Starcraft Pontoon for the wimenz
    If you are going to be carrying the boat and motor separate I would consider a 2 stroke. My dad has a 9.8 Tohatsu 4s and that thing is a pia to carry around. A 9.9 is close to 100lbs. For a knock around boat there's nothing wrong with an older 2 stroke. Lighter, dirt cheap right now, easy to work on and no maintenence required.

We had a 7.5 Evinrudes of 80s vintage that was a great candidate for what you're doing. The newer you get and the less emissions they put out the more fuel problems you may run into. Current production 2 cylinder 4s have such tiny carb passage ways you always have to worry about letting fuel sit in them or the tiniest debris can give you problems.

TonyG, MA9, LJB and 1 other person like this.
  3. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    Awesome insight! Thanks Ryan. I was just reading about packing 2 strokes around for smaller boats and lake usage...sounds like a 2 stroke 8 or 9.9 horse might be the ticket...Looking Looking Looking Now..Thank you

4. TexMojoII

TexMojoII Well, Shit!

Name:
    Larry
    Boat:
    Parker 2820
    Get a swamp motor.

Cohoho and goatram like this.
  5. goatram

goatram Notable Member Gate Keeper to the Great Northwest

Name:
    grrrrrrrr
    Boat:
    33' RBW MISS ELIZA
  6. MA9

MA9 Member

Name:
    BW
    Boat:
    Boston Whaler
    15hp 2 stroke.... 2 guys + gear can get heavy on smaller alum boats. An 8 would likely struggle to plane, a 9.9 you may be OK and the 15hp would get you up easily.

eric harner likes this.
  7. PNWMatt2016

PNWMatt2016 Member

Name:
    Matt Frazier
    Boat:
    Need One!
    I like the idea of those swamp motors tex / goat... I have only seen videos of them, are they a lot louder that your standard outboard (2 stroke in this case)??? I can't have the cake and eat it too..so I shouldn't be so picky, but just don't need the elk and deer to hear me coming from 5 miles away! If I was Shelby Stanga, that would be a different story! Here we go! If I can get at least a 14', maybe up to a 16' for better measure, I would imagine a short shaft 15 horse would probably do the trick! Just need to get us there safely and in decent amount of time...I found a guy selling an older Chrysler seaking 15 horse online, asking $600 obo...Might be worthwhile to take a look?

8. eric harner

eric harner Caliente Tuna

Name:
    Azlandlocked
    Boat:
    RRII, PV, the Big X
    Remember NO REVERSE on the swamp motors !!!

9. wood2turn

wood2turn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Terry
    Boat:
    14’ Sterling Sea Skiff - Gypsy Queen
    Matt....
    I have a great running oil injected Suzuki 9.9 Long Shaft currently on a 12’ HiLaker.
    But I think it’s propped wrong.
    It currently has a 6x10 1/2 power prop on it but never gets the boat up on plane even with just me in it. I rebuilt the transom and when I did I doubled the thickness of the original so it’s a bit heavy in the ass.
    I think between that and the prop motor just doesn’t get the rpms up.
    The guy I got it from took it off of a 24’ glasply(?) as the kicker and it probably worked great for that use.
    I’ve got a line on a 9x9 1/4 prop (but I need to get it here from Bellevue).
    Hopefully that will work.

Anyway....if it still isn’t enough motor for the heavier HiLaker I’ll be looking to sell or trade it for a 15.

If you’re interested I’ll keep you in mind when the time comes.