Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
Dec 6, 2017
Ventura, CA
Name
Drew Stephens
Boat
Sunbird Neptune 230
Whatsup guys, Ive got a 97 evinrude ocean pro 200hp. Last trip when I raised the motor at the end of the day I noticed a ton of water draining from the cowling seal. The seal is in good shape but it doesn't sit on top as flush anymore. They dont sell the seal that goes on the bottom of the cowling anymore. Anyone ever DIY some time of cowling seal?

Upvote 0

Hismosa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Oct 15, 2016
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Name
    Glenn
    Boat
    Boats n hoes
    You sure it's getting in from the outside? You would have to be doing some pretty intense backing down to get water to that height.

Upvote 0

Drew Stephens

Almost A Member
    Dec 6, 2017
    Ventura, CA
    Name
    Drew Stephens
    Boat
    Sunbird Neptune 230
    Yes im sure of it. Sits on an engine bracket pretty low in the water. A lot of gnarly swells and chop when we were out there coming up high on the outboard. Ran it on muffs to check for water spewing in and noticed the engine cover seal had about 2" gap in the back and the seal wasnt tight on it all the way around

Upvote 0

slab tech 1

Works overrated- lets go fishing
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ferndale
    Name
    Eric
    Boat
    Parker 2520 XL
    Is it filling up the lower cowling with water? Basically submerging the lower half of your engine? Or leaking out of the gasket or seal? I wonder if you could get a sheet of neoprene or something and make your own seal or use another brand outboard seal and cut it to the correct size?

Drew Stephens
    Drew Stephens
    Yes the lower half is filling up. I looked up almost every other outboard brand seal and nothing looks close to mine. I think I might have to DIY something
    Upvote 0
    Upvote 0