Out to Catalina Island for the first time 5-8-2020 with underwater footage.

PENN

naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
Went out to Catalina Island for the first time on my boat.
Weather forecast was nice, waves were small and far apart, so took the boat out and headed to Catalina Island. Bought squid from Nacho after waiting in line for 45 min. Got to island in about hour and half, stopping on a paddy on the way where birds were seating on. But it was dry, no mark, no bite. Once I arrived little west of goat harbor (not in mpla area), had no idea where to fish, all the places looked fishy, ha.
One of my main reason for going over to Catalina was to test out the underwater drone that I recently got, and this red tide was not helping with visibility inshore. Also wanted to checkout where I can fish, and how it would be different from inshore spots that I visit. I usually fish Izor's, 150, horseshoe.
Water was so much clear than inshore spots that I go to, visibility wasn't great, but it was good and the island was so much bigger than I remembered from sports boat days that I've been on to. Weather stayed pleasant and nice with light breeze. Everything was good. Except fishing.
I only caught 6 calico, and may be 1 was legal, didn't keep any. I stayed from 8:30 to 11:30, and moved around a lot to check out different spots. Fishing at each spots may be for about 30 min. or less. Never found that wide open bites but never the less great trip.
And once again I realized, man I suck at fishing, haha. If you check out the drone footage, you'll see that there is plenty of calico around where I fished, and I was only able to catch 3 calicos at that spot.
I wanted to ask you, do you guys usually find one spot and stick around, chumming or do you move around all the time to find fish when you are at the island?

Water temperature at the island was 64-66. Inside long beach harbor was 67-69. Redtide inside the harbor was much less than last week, most were green although not so clear, but not so brown anymore. Out at 150 area, I saw patch of redtide, horse shoe area was green.

Clip from my trip and with underwater footage around 5:40 if you would like to jump right to it.
It was firstime with the drone, so controlling was terrible, may be better footage next time : )

Happy fishing and stay safe.

Upvote 0

Dave R

Apr 18, 2019
Fallbrook, Ca
Name
Dave Rybka
Boat
nope
How deep can you go, what's the range? Do you get real time video? where you could target fish with this....that might be asking too much.

Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
Jan 30, 2006
Buena Park, california
Name
daniel
Boat
Sailfish 176CC
How deep can you go, what's the range? Do you get real time video? where you could target fish with this....that might be asking too much.

It's rated to go 100m. Which is about 330 feet and I got one with 330 feet tether, so one day I'll be able to capture rockfish with it. This company recently released 200m tether where you can buy it separately. Going that deep is difficult though, with the current, it will be hard to go that far down.
You do get real time video, I used my phone for it, but it was little too small to view and tell what type of fish I am looking at. After I return and view it in PC, i was able to see what type of fish it was. It records up to 4K video, so quality was really good. You can even use one of VR goggle and have FPV. Planning to get dedicated tablet for it for next outing.
Issue that I am facing with this drone is that it can travel at 4 knots, but if there is some currents, stabliazation is not great and hard to control. That's where I need some practice on, and when it's underwater, you don't know where it's going. Screen does tell me and has indication for it's orientation and depth, but still was hella confused where it was underwater. Ha.

Last edited:
Reactions: rick rouland
Upvote 0

Tom123

Jan 31, 2020
LA
Name
Tom
Boat
None
Cool footage both above n below the water. That drone provides an excellent POV.

Looking forward to your next post n hearing about the goggles.

Reactions: naldodook
Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    Cool video, where did you get the drone?

Use your anchor.

Find structure with current, anchor up current and chum, then catch all of the bass and barracuda. I was there on Saturday, we landed over 80 calicos to 5lbs and more than enough barracuda, we reset one time. If the current changes direction or stops, find a new spot.

Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
    Jan 30, 2006
    Buena Park, california
    Name
    daniel
    Boat
    Sailfish 176CC
    Cool video, where did you get the drone?

Use your anchor.

Find structure with current, anchor up current and chum, then catch all of the bass and barracuda. I was there on Saturday, we landed over 80 calicos to 5lbs and more than enough barracuda, we reset one time. If the current changes direction or stops, find a new spot.

I bought it used, BH has it for under 1k.

I'll try that next time. I did anchor up, with trolling motor, but didn't have too much confidence at the spot, since it was my first time so didn't bother too much with chumming. Next time, I'll try to set up a plan so I'll fish just couple spots and try to learn that spot. Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: rick rouland
    Upvote 0

dalurker

old skool rules
    Dec 23, 2004
    Cyber Sea
    Name
    #%^&) !!!
    Boat
    my blood vessel

DAYUM!!

Upvote 0

karlow

Twins 2017
    Apr 29, 2004
    Duarte/Covina
    Name
    karl
    Boat
    20' skippy Topless /17' whaler Wet Ride (sold) /18' Outrage
    That's cool but I think the 4knt speed limit is the real problem. It needs a lot more power to really useful outside of a lake. But it would be cool to check out some lakes. I'm not sure the local water clarity would workout down south, but mountain lakes should work out great.

Upvote 0

naldodook

Naldodook
    Jan 30, 2006
    Buena Park, california
    Name
    daniel
    Boat
    Sailfish 176CC
    That's cool but I think the 4knt speed limit is the real problem. It needs a lot more power to really useful outside of a lake. But it would be cool to check out some lakes. I'm not sure the local water clarity would workout down south, but mountain lakes should work out great.

Yeah, for me it's more of thrust than speed. Most of the time 4 kn is ok for me, but if there was actual 4 kn current, I am not sure if ROV can be controlled, I probably don't want to drop in the ROV if there is strong current. For lakes, I haven't been to any lakes for long time, but I'll keep that in mind.

Upvote 0