tuna sniffer

SD '63
Jun 16, 2005
La Mesa
Name
Mark
Boat
1 tin 1 glass
The new dock space will be great for sitting and having lunch,spooling up a few reels or even rigging up and baiting your hoopnets.I guess i'll have to wait and see.I never thought the ramp needed anything but maybe re-surfacing the ramp itself.But i'm pretty efficient at getting in and out of the water without looking like an idiot.
I know you're probably pulling our leg on this one, but I guarantee you we will see much more of that going on. Agree on how well the ramp has served us given the amazing amount of traffic it saw. I will reserve judgement on the "upgrade," but I am hopeful.

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
I know you're probably pulling our leg on this one, but I guarantee you we will see much more of that going on. Agree on how well the ramp has served us given the amazing amount of traffic it saw. I will reserve judgement on the "upgrade," but I am hopeful.
Yea pulling the leg.I would never do any of that but have seen plenty of it.

Upvote 0

PoolMan

7 'dines short of a full scoop
Nov 7, 2005
La Costa
Name
Chuck G
Boat
8' sabot #69
Overall it looks horrible. Now there is no breakwater so wakes will be in the basin at the docks and at the trailer. They really needed a second opening to allow for one-way in and a one-way out traffic and to move the breakwall out about 30 feet. How do you get off either end of the two docks (or anywhere for that matter) without doing a donut in the middle of the basin? I bet the designer never set foot on a trailer boat or asked anyone a single question. It is all about the look of the two piers.

Upvote 0

makairaa

May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
Overall it looks horrible. Now there is no breakwater so wakes will be in the basin at the docks and at the trailer. They really needed a second opening to allow for one-way in and a one-way out traffic and to move the breakwall out about 30 feet. How do you get off either end of the two docks (or anywhere for that matter) without doing a donut in the middle of the basin? I bet the designer never set foot on a trailer boat or asked anyone a single question. It is all about the look of the two piers.
The piers will have a cement wall under them I am sure to block the wakes. Agree with the only one opening thought though.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
At the rate it's going you got to question the completion date

Reactions: plj46
Upvote 0

Lundalakan

Sep 29, 2016
Socal, Poway
Name
Lou
Boat
Lund alaskan
4DF00922-8F3B-462A-8D1E-A33D228DF2DC.jpeg
As it is now the gd seal boat gets access but no one else does. They pretty much act like they own the ramp when it is open

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    Purr-Sea-Stance / Montauk 170
    October 22nd update. I nearly had a cow when I saw what I can only hope to be a temporary wall at the left side of launch ramp. I think my blood pressure will return to normal in a few more hours. Still optimistic for next year at our beloved launch ramp.

E94BE037-B7B7-4520-9FD7-B213FD89989C.jpeg C0668AAF-366D-4997-B5E6-448A1579EA2C.jpeg 041343A5-AA7F-4538-9D3E-384B9657D6F1.jpeg

Upvote 0

plj46

Jan 7, 2008
    Socal
    Name
    john
    Boat
    24 ft grady white
    October 22nd update. I nearly had a cow when I saw what I can only hope to be a temporary wall at the left side of launch ramp. I think my blood pressure will return to normal in a few more hours. Still optimistic for next year at our beloved launch ramp.

View attachment 876247 View attachment 876248 View attachment 876249
    I just got back from checking on the progress.That steel wall better be temporary.If it isn't the basin with an added dock will be a lot smaller.

Upvote 0

Hardcor

Hardcore
    Jun 8, 2014
    Hardcore
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Hardcore
    Boat
    Hardcore
    With that opening in the center, It's going to be a washing machine in there. They are going to have to have channel buoys so you can avoid the pier fisherman's lines wrapping your props. Less parking because of the pier fishing. Looks like they let a dumb Ass design it.

Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

Reel hip

Meet my "Well known Member"
    Feb 19, 2008
    San Diego
    Name
    Doug
    Boat
    25ft Skipjack fly
    I appreciate your update however if I understand the renderings, they close the launch ramp for a year, they improve the outside perimeter pathways with breakwall while updating facilities/ restrooms for tourists , the actual bay is slightly enlarged and the actual width or launch ramp Is the same width as previously.
    If this is true we got screwed!
    Still the same.
    This will allow the amateur backing up show to continue. lol

Reactions: bparker1225
    Upvote 0

phillyblunt

Jun 10, 2005
    SD
    Name
    Philip
    Boat
    EVEN KEEL
    Please enlighten me. Why does the "seal boat" get exclusive access?

They have been running that commercial business forever. We are just recreational guys. I've seen the seal boats go out of south shores launch ramp to see the mission bay seals.
    Do what i did and put your boat in a slip till its done. Although i might just leave it forever now.

Reactions: carterantebi
    Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    They have been running that commercial business forever. We are just recreational guys. I've seen the seal boats go out of south shores launch ramp to see the mission bay seals.
    Do what i did and put your boat in a slip till its done. Although i might just leave it forever now.

It's a San Diego Marina conspiracy! LOL.

Reactions: phillyblunt
    Upvote 0

bparker1225

Ocean Addiction
    Sep 27, 2004
    Leucadia/Los Zacatitos
    Name
    Bill Parker
    Boat
    21' 6" Cabo-Cabo Bill
    They began in 2001. 16 years is hardly forever in my book. They should have planned a way to kept at least one lane open for boaters.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Willdoggy
    Upvote 0

Done_Deal

Sep 10, 2004
    Santa Monica
    mysite.verizon.net
    Name
    Joe
    Boat
    19' Home Built

So, a for-profit entity gets to use a public facility, but the public does not? Something is very wrong with this picture.

Upvote 0

OILAGER

Hecho en Estados Unidos
    Apr 27, 2006
    M Class Planet / Riverside
    Name
    Wayne
    Boat
    Grady White 228 Seafarer "GOTTA GET'M"
    Please enlighten me. Why does the "seal boat" get exclusive access?

Probably because there isn't any dock for boaters to tie off to, and the seal boat drives in and out without backing up a trailer in a tight area, which a lot of weekend boaters can't do when the lanes are wide open.

Upvote 0

Willdoggy

Willing Member
  • Jun 25, 2014
    Chula Vista
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Will
    Boat
    The "seal boat" is an amphibious vehicle?
    Yes. There are several of them here in San Diego. They run regularly and take tourists for a cruise around the marine area of SD then down this launch ramp (closed to us right now) into the bay and about 1 mile up and around our main bay’s bait dock then traces back to where pick up took place. They look like a boat / school bus with open sides and have an IO on the back that propels them in the water, not too quickly. The riders love to see the sea lions sunning themselves on the bait docks.

Upvote 0

Fishbones

Your wife thinks about ME
    Nov 7, 2005
    Chula Vista
    Name
    Rich
    Boat
    One Off 28' Custom Built Skipjack (SOUTHWESTERN) & 18' Sylvan (Short Runs)
    So, a for-profit entity gets to use a public facility, but the public does not? Something is very wrong with this picture.

They pay port fees since it is a commercial business, just like charter boats do....
    It’s all about the dollar...

Upvote 0

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
    May 4, 2004
    santee ca.
    Name
    Bill
    Boat
    08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
    I was working on the kona kai remodel-addition this summer.I would drive down the street and take my lunch...lt didnt look like theyd made much progress.

Upvote 0