PENN

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
Come on! How veraciuos can a few otters be? Not as veraciuos as the hundreds of hoopers that are out there every season I bet! Not to mention the sealions!!

Dude... BAD. They're ridiculously voracious. They eat 20% of their body weight each day in shellfish!

In the areas with lots of otters, you pretty much don't see any abalone. Sealions don't eat much shellfish at all really so they're a non-issue. As far as hoopers go, well they aren't catching any abalone.

Of course, as you noted, the lobster fishery has fishing pressure (as it should, being a valuable resource.) But I'm not following your logic that because it's fished already, more pressure from otters won't matter. Also, otters also don't obey size and bag limits, unfortunately ;)

The history of otters off California is an interesting one. Fossil records show that Native American hunting of otters directly correlates to dramatic increases in shellfish populations. When the population started rebounding from a major crash in the early 20th c., there was a corresponding crash in the cen-cal ab and urchin fisheries. After seeing that, the state set up a "no otter zone" from Pt. Conception to the border with only San Nic as a safe haven to protect so-cal from the destruction they saw up north. It's no longer enforced, but as we've seen, the otters have not readily colonized in so-cal anyway.

Like I said, cen-cal can keep them!

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
The no otter zone had nothing to do with protecting invertebrates. Otters were an endangered species. They wanted to keep them in a smaller area to increase the possibility of them finding mates each year. The san nic disaster was meant as a safeguard to the species. It was supposed to set up a population in an area that would isolate it from the rest so that if disease or a disaster struck the coastal otters there would be a group left to start the rebuilding process over again. I call it a disaster since after 6 months only 3 otters remained at san nic. A few made it back to the coast, but 80% or more drowned trying to make it back to the coast.

Reactions: One_Leg
Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Who needs hugs :rofl:
    http://feelgrafix.com/data_images/out/26/952535-sea-otter.jpg
    952535-sea-otter.jpg

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
    May 31, 2003
    not a spoiled bitch from san diego
    Name
    bill
    Boat
    I hate boats
    Ok! OK! I apologize!! I didn't realize I was talking to an expert on everything otter!! You must watch a lot of national geographic or something!! :D

Sheesh, dude. Knowing things about things that one is interested in doesnt make one an "expert" about things.
    Make google your friend and go learn stuff. For todays under-educated masses, its real easy to educated yourself vs when we had to actually go to and spend time in a library. But then again...."thinking" isnt a requirement to post at BD.

Upvote 0

GRUMPKILLER

captain
    May 11, 2009
    Hawaii
    Name
    Edgar
    Boat
    25' Parker
    Sheesh, dude. Knowing things about things that one is interested in doesnt make one an "expert" about things.
    Make google your friend and go learn stuff. For todays under-educated masses, its real easy to educated yourself vs when we had to actually go to and spend time in a library. But then again...."thinking" isnt a requirement to post at BD.
    Dude! It was a joke! I was just messing with you!! Im done bickering like a couple of school girls!! Soory to the OP for hijacking your thread!!

Upvote 0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Name
    Mark
    Boat
    Skipjack 22
    and your point was....... anything intelligent and/or worth repeating?

Noo-oo-oo.....I was referring to your statement (twice) that "thinking isn't a requirement to post at BD". But feel free to read anything else into it that you want. Seems to be almost a religion a hereabouts.

Upvote 0

Aggro

Keepin my pimp hand strong!
  • Mar 4, 2005
    Clairemont
    Name
    AGGRO
    Boat
    skiff
    Kill it with fire

Upvote 0
    May 11, 2008
    Cardiff, Ca, USA
    Name
    Kevin Barnett
    Boat
    n/a
    Fished La Jolla today, not as many birds and bait as last weekend, swell a bit up. Son caught and released a 50 lb BSB in 80 ft of water. On way in came across a sea otter!!! Sorry that the pics aren't that good, my phone camera sucks. I'm 100% positive on the id. It swam on its back for awhile and I could see the whitish hairs around its face, and its front paws. It was small and had fur like an otter. Way cool The DFG woman and the ramp thought the pics were like that of a Loch Ness otter. Again I am absolutely positive on the id.

View attachment 751510 View attachment 751511
    I saw one in the batiquitos lagoon in Carlsbad last year. It was swimming on it's back right next to the interstate 5 overpass. I lived in Nor Cal for several years and knew it was an otter. Went home and researched it to find that they have in fact been seen in our local waters around point loma.

Upvote 0
    P

Paddyman1

El Nino = "just about anything can happen"

Little guy probably wanted in on the red crab feast!

Upvote 0

Bria renner

Zumapop
    Jul 28, 2015
    Malibu
    Name
    Zumapop
    Boat
    Semi-slayer Arima Sea Chaser 17.5
    Got to pull up next to one on a kayak in paradise cove,Malibu, but that was probably 25 years ago. After having lived in Morro Bay, there was no mistake in identification

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
    frazierpark ca usa
    Name
    gordon grant
    Boat
    30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
    Got to pull up next to one on a kayak in paradise cove,Malibu, but that was probably 25 years ago. After having lived in Morro Bay, there was no mistake in identification
    Also saw one in malibu about 20 years ago . That transplant of otters to nic back in the day was not too bright. You cant put a bunch of otters where guys are trying to make a living on urchins and lobsters and not expect most of them to die of lead poisining

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    May 1, 2005
    Tustin CA
    Name
    Philip Hunkins
    Boat
    17 starcraft
    Also saw one in malibu about 20 years ago . That transplant of otters to nic back in the day was not too bright. You cant put a bunch of otters where guys are trying to make a living on urchins and lobsters and not expect most of them to die of lead poisining
    The vast majority died because they tried to swim back to the mainland. They got swept away and drowned. Most of their bodies were recovered on socal beaches.

Upvote 0

Latest posts