otter off La Jolla

figbeetle

Feb 22, 2013
san diego/CA/USA
Name
mitch
Boat
180 Sunbird
Fished La Jolla today, not as many birds and bait as last weekend, swell a bit up. Son caught and released a 50 lb BSB in 80 ft of water. On way in came across a sea otter!!! Sorry that the pics aren't that good, my phone camera sucks. I'm 100% positive on the id. It swam on its back for awhile and I could see the whitish hairs around its face, and its front paws. It was small and had fur like an otter. Way cool The DFG woman and the ramp thought the pics were like that of a Loch Ness otter. Again I am absolutely positive on the id.

otter_aa.jpg otter_b.jpg

Upvote 0

reel man

Common sense
Dec 31, 2004
Burbank, CA
Name
Jerry
Boat
Spirit of Adventure
Fished La Jolla today, not as many birds and bait as last weekend, swell a bit up. Son caught and released a 50 lb BSB in 80 ft of water. On way in came across a sea otter!!! Sorry that the pics aren't that good, my phone camera sucks. I'm 100% positive on the id. It swam on its back for awhile and I could see the whitish hairs around its face, and its front paws. It was small and had fur like an otter. Way cool The DFG woman and the ramp thought the pics were like that of a Loch Ness otter. Again I am absolutely positive on the id.

View attachment 751510 View attachment 751511
If, in fact, it is an ocean otter then some animal hugger dropped it in the area because there hasn't been any migration this far south. Last time an attempt to establish a colony was at San Nicholas island, and they didn't stick.

Upvote 0

GRUMPKILLER

captain
May 11, 2009
Hawaii
Name
Edgar
Boat
25' Parker
That's pretty cool! Last I heard they were some spotted by Santa Barbara but not this far south!! Hopefully it survives!!

Upvote 0

BiggestT

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
If, in fact, it is an ocean otter then some animal hugger dropped it in the area because there hasn't been any migration this far south. Last time an attempt to establish a colony was at San Nicholas island, and they didn't stick.

Actually, an otter has been been seen off Laguna and there have been a number of SoCal sightings the past couple years.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/otter-708875-otters-area.html

The red abalone has been making a massive comeback, just ask any diver. With abalone in place, their chief consumers are soon to follow.

Upvote 0

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
They have ventured south of pt conception quite a few times. The difference now is the feds no longer capture them and move them back north. The feds changed their management policies about 5 years ago I believe. This is why sightings south are becoming more common. If the abs are coming back that just means they will stick around.

Upvote 0

crabdancer

Kook
Apr 18, 2012
LA/Santa Cruz
Name
Shannon
Boat
Edgewater
Nice. Those things were thick in Santa Cruz. I saw one in tight at Salta Verde a couple years ago.

I was fishing the SC short break wall one morning just to get out of the house and an otter showed up and did work on all sorts of crabs and mollusks right at my feet. That thing went crazy. I lost count of how many critters it ate but I saw some new ones and I had a new respect for work ethic after. When it was done it just left and scooted down toward Pleasures.

Upvote 0

Bottom Line

Village idiot
Jul 9, 2006
Warner Springs
Name
Steve
Boat
Invader CC - Bottom Line
I have seen 3 sea otters in my lifetime off San Diego - Last one was about 5 years ago. I am absolutely positive on a correct ID.

Upvote 0

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
That's pretty cool! Last I heard they were some spotted by Santa Barbara but not this far south!! Hopefully it survives!!

Those things are voracious shellfish eaters. Having a colony of otters there would decimate the local green abalone and lobster populations. They're cute, but the central coast can keep 'em!

Most likely just a one-off though. Hopefully...

Upvote 0

GRUMPKILLER

captain
May 11, 2009
Hawaii
Name
Edgar
Boat
25' Parker
Those things are voracious shellfish eaters. Having a colony of otters there would decimate the local green abalone and lobster populations. They're cute, but the central coast can keep 'em!
Come on! How veraciuos can a few otters be? Not as veraciuos as the hundreds of hoopers that are out there every season I bet! Not to mention the sealions!!

Upvote 0

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
BiggestT beat me to it. Just saw a story about the one off Laguna (Crystal Cove) a few days ago.

The MLPA is working :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 14, 2014
Name
Mark
Boat
Skipjack 22
They are about as voracious as your cute, furry-nosed sealions.....and almost as prolific when it comes to breeding.

Which must explain why we're up to our elbows in sea otters around here! Glad we got a marine life expert's input there! Or not.

Upvote 0

Pgnracr

Sep 3, 2014
HB
Name
Jeff
Boat
Line up
Three live off San Onofre. One has the San Nicolas collar !! Documented and being watch by some conservation survey group. Talked to a boat monitoring them. Great report!!

Upvote 0

wils

lazy-ass well known "member"
May 31, 2003
not a spoiled bitch from san diego
Name
bill
Boat
I hate boats
Last edited:
Upvote 0

charliecat

on a fishin' mission
Jun 2, 2015
Name
charlie cat
Boat
14' -50' , bunch of boats
Nice. Those things were thick in Santa Cruz. I saw one in tight at Salta Verde a couple years ago.

Yeah, I saw one there twice in the last month or two, and was tripping out, but I had a buddy with me who saw it and confirmed also.

Upvote 0