Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
You're pulling an EJ SWANNY bro...
He'll have to do alot more wishin' & tire kickin' than that to live up to my three year journey. I'm happy with the results though.

One could pull the trigger on a boat sight -un-seen, have the shit kicked out of it on the travel up here, put 100's of hours (and $1,000's) into it, then give up on it....that's a route folks can go too. :cheers:.

Back to Scott's post though. Did you ever try and price out an outboard conversion? Maybe 25-30K? GLWS

John Bolen

Jul 24, 2018
Vancouver, WA
Name
John
Boat
Pursuit 2670
If one was on a budget you could find a lower hour used Suzuki 250 for $7500-$10,000. I would guess about 8-10k for the retrofit of an OFS. If anyone is serious reach out to me and I will ask the guy I know that does these conversions for a more exact ballpark.

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
If one was on a budget you could find a lower hour used Suzuki 250 for $7500-$10,000. I would guess about 8-10k for the retrofit of an OFS. If anyone is serious reach out to me and I will ask the guy I know that does these conversions for a more exact ballpark.
Or..... if a guy is pretty handy, he could fish it like it is while he collects parts and pieces to do the conversion himself.... I see brackets hit Craigslist and BD classifieds occasionally..

But..... what is your time worth? It gets you into the boat cheaper. But when buying a boat you must look at the actual value as it sits and what it would cost retail to make the modifications. If you figure conservatively $20k motor and $10k retrofit and you would have $65k into the boat..... it would still be a bad ass boat as long as you wanted to keep it forever.... unfortunately it wont go up in value like a tin boat!

FishPimpII

Shopping for a boat...
Jul 27, 2009
Seattle, Wa
Name
Jeff Nelson
Boat
Deckhand of "JuiceboxII" And soon to be captain of fishpimpiii
Or..... if a guy is pretty handy, he could fish it like it is while he collects parts and pieces to do the conversion himself.... I see brackets hit Craigslist and BD classifieds occasionally..

But..... what is your time worth? It gets you into the boat cheaper. But when buying a boat you must look at the actual value as it sits and what it would cost retail to make the modifications. If you figure conservatively $20k motor and $10k retrofit and you would have $65k into the boat..... it would still be a bad ass boat as long as you wanted to keep it forever.... unfortunately it wont go up in value like a tin boat!
Yeah. I’ve been doing this math. But could likely fish it for five years or so as is until outdrive gives up before conversion needed. So assuming 35k for new power/conversion in 500+ hours means you have 500 hours of boating and new power for 65k which is pretty good.
But. Showed this to wife and she said, “just looks like only a fishing boat.” So it isn’t her favorite thus far.
She also said, “I guess my opinion only really counts when it comes to the budget...”
so it’s still an option.

Reactions: G-Spot

xtshawytscha

Well-Known "Member"
May 14, 2011
Forks, WA, USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Cabin Fever - C Hawk 245
If someone is serious, there is a 2018 Suzuki 300 with 12 hrs on it for 15k on THT. I certainly think a bracket can be had for under 5k, so you're 20k in to it plus rigging and such.

That being said, I think those saying buy it, run it and cross that bridge when you have to are correct. My point is just that good deals are out there on lightly used motors for when that time comes.

Reactions: FishPimpII

G-Spot

Captain
Mar 14, 2008
Salem/OR/USA
Name
John
Boat
53’ Hatteras STEEL N TIME
If someone is serious, there is a 2018 Suzuki 300 with 12 hrs on it for 15k on THT. I certainly think a bracket can be had for under 5k, so you're 20k in to it plus rigging and such.

That being said, I think those saying buy it, run it and cross that bridge when you have to are correct. My point is just that good deals are out there on lightly used motors for when that time comes.
So you got a motor and you have a bracket...... who does the removal of the motor, floor glass work, transom patch, and rigging? Your good deal just went up......

Run it like it is.....

Kingfisher13

Nov 6, 2018
Oregon
Name
Jeff Fox
Boat
22 Osprey Northwind
My guess is your being too honest to be sure you don’t mislead someone.... that’s a lot of fuel burn for such a small boat... a tuna trip burning nearly 100 gallons in a 22’ boat seems excessive...
I have an 03 northwind with a 350 and more fuel. Full of fuel and two guys I am seeing about 2.5 mpg average in normal nor. Cal. And Oregon waters.

nwfisher

Dec 23, 2009
Forks, WA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
22' Osprey
I put my boat on cl for one last try to sell her before I just keep it through this season. Serviced the motor and have been out of Lapush for lings twice this spring in it. Dropped the price to 32,000. Text works best for me 360-640-1099

Reel Hooker

“Ice Melter”
Sep 9, 2013
Carnation
www.metropolitandetail.com
Name
Benjamin
Boat
Parker 2320 Long Cabin 'REEL HOOKER'
Something that may help sell it is to take anything off of it that is customized for you andypour family. Boat name, personal items, gear, bouys. Let them look at an empty slate to vision their new toy. If any thing doesn’t go with sale take it off the boat. This keeps you from saying NO for any reason while on the boat. Hope this helps with sale.

nwfisher

Dec 23, 2009
Forks, WA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
22' Osprey
Thanks for the suggestion. At this point its like selling a daily driver. My stuff is in it because its a ready to go fishing boat and if the water is good I may go fishing :) The biggest problem is being in Forks I think . I have a couple guys interested but having a hard time making time to drive out here.

Captain Decent

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Thanks for the suggestion. At this point its like selling a daily driver. My stuff is in it because its a ready to go fishing boat and if the water is good I may go fishing :) The biggest problem is being in Forks I think . I have a couple guys interested but having a hard time making time to drive out here.
Maybe true but you are surely fending off tire kickers. If someone is serious about the boat, a 5 hour drive is nothing. It’s an expensive investment and a boat isn’t like a car where there is 100 of any model within an hours drive. That’s a unique, low production model that will require the right buyer. I’m surprised it hasn’t sold. Price looks very fair.

nwfisher

Dec 23, 2009
Forks, WA USA
Name
Scott
Boat
22' Osprey
Had the boat out shrimping for the opener and she was running a little rough so took her in for a tune up. Mechanic called with bad news after a compression test the engine has one hole with no compression and another lower than acceptable. The time has come for a project on this boat with either a new inboard or conversion to outboard. I don't have the time or desire to do it and so am willing to drop the price to where it is feasible for someone else to do it. I know a boat with a bad motor isn't worth much but this is a cool boat that if a guy had under 50k into it with a new outboard I think would be something some guys would consider. So with that said I am dropping the price to $20,000. OBO . The boat is in Port Angeles right now. I will pull the kicker motor off for that price and electronics.. Call or text 360-640-1099

critterkiller

AKA Cohobankie
Jul 18, 2012
W.Seattle
Name
Jefe'
Boat
1998 Tiderunner Pt. Defiance
Is it being converted? Just passed a boat fitting this description northbound past the south seattle dump in Seattle. Seemed to be missing the major part to make it move. Big outdrive hole.