Oside Flattie Report 5/29...Trying new stuff

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by DaGoose, May 29, 2008.

1. DaGoose

DaGoose Go pound sand

Name:
    Rick Ferguson
    Boat:
    old
    Fished with Dustin, 'Fish is a Fish" , today. Launched at 7:30. It was a flat, calm gorgeous Thursday morning. Dropped em in 30 minutes later.

Today was a bit special though. I love to fish for flatties and try new things. My good buddy Rich Gilman finished a fine custom wrapped spiral wrapped rod yesterday (only his second rod). I got to use it for the first time after a few months of anticipation. The rod looks crazy but it's just perfect for bounce balling.

We also had "Spider" spreader bar rigs from Fred Archer to drop down for them. I lost my first rig to a T-Shark last week. So a new rod and a squid bait ball to pound sand with.....how cool is that?

The bite wasn't wide open by any stretch. We did manage to get a 23 inch flattie about 8:30then another at 25 inches an hour later in 40 feet of water. Nothing huge but it felt like the bite was slow and the tide change was still 2 hours distant. Tried deeper in 80 feet for no joy. Then back to 40 feet, why leave a pattern that produced?

Dustin reeled the spider rig in and a mola was chasing it. At first we thought "what the heck is that?". This is another first. Then I was afraid the sucker would eat it. But Dustin wanted to play with it so he just waved the rig around. Every time he took it out of the water, the mola started to leave then instantly turn around when he dropped it back in . A trained Mola!

The wind kicked up and conditions got short and steep....again. Not optimal for bouncing. We headed south and pounded sand for a few hours. Got a few more incidental bass. Then pounded back north hoping for one good biter. It didn't happen. We got a few more bass and one short flattie then called it a day at 4:00.

As always, it was a great day on the water with a good friend. Plus it was way too much fun to play with the new toys!

Tight Lines,

Rick

Attached Files:

2. Scarleg

Scarleg Dorkfish

Name:
    Eric
    Boat:
    Boatless
    Thanks for the report Rick....
    Lookin like fun with the new toys

3. Stanley

Stanley Pro Boat Scrubber

Name:
    Spooker
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
    We only caught a buzz and 3 smooth hounds...then I had to go to work and didn't get done until 9:30 tonight. Long day.

I think those Archer Spreaders are going to kill when the big females start staging.

Good talking to you today, Rick.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. T.N.T

T.N.T TugNTime

Name:
    mr.T
    Boat:
    rental
    don't tell me your letting some of your stealth info out ! ???? You Guy's have been killing me year after year in mikie's tourny in NOV. ?? fisherman and I fished the Lead yestereday for no love but a boney , good sushi .... thu..... and that's one HELL of a nice spreader did Fred make it for you ? or is it one of your own ??? sorry..........Rick

5. DaGoose

DaGoose Go pound sand

Name:
    Rick Ferguson
    Boat:
    old
    Hi Stanley and T.N.T,

Stanley, it was great to see you on the water too! At the risk of sounding like a talking head............I can't tell you how excited I am about these spider bars! So much so that I've completely abandoned my dodger rig, after tweaking it for years and catching many many fish. At first I was nervous they would be bulky and tangle prone. Nothing is further from the truth though. It's simply an amazing product.

T.N.T, they were off the shelf Fred Archer spider bars. I used my own target bait so the rig was presented "predator" style, meaning it mimicked a predator chasing the bait ball vs. a straight bait ball and a straggler configuration. This information is not mine to keep......and I will freely share more as I get more time on the water with the spider bars. Don't be expecting any spots though LOL

The flatties weren't chewing worth a damn yesterday. What was interesting to me was the bites were spread out hours apart, with no fish taken on the traditional tide swings or clustered together. This is unusual. Due to spider bars...perhaps. It's too early to tell.

Tight Lines,

Rick

6. tomd

tomd Newbie

Name:
    Tom D
    Boat:
    A Pineapple with a motor
    Rick,

Those rigs look hot. The ocean looks pretty flat. Thanks for the post,

7. catmagic

catmagic Member

Name:
    Jeff
    Boat:
    26 foot Glacier Bay Cat Magic
    Rick, Great Info. Is that a Mark Higashi Drop Shot Rod???? LOL

Thanks for the update,

Jeff

8. Fred Archer

Fred Archer Big Game's the Name

Name:
    Captain Fred Archer
    Boat:
    36 Custom (Cabo)
    Thanks for the report, SpiderMan Goose. It is no hype whatsoever that Spiders are going to knock the fishing world on its ass. I know you went, but any others who want to read a mind-bender of a Spider report, go to the Alaska board and read what CrackerJack just did with them - Goodgoshamigty!

Attached Files:

9. Tunahead

Tunahead Long Time Tuna Abused Member

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    several
    Wow those Spider rigs sound neat! Looks like they work alright...nice butts!

10. fish is a fish

fish is a fish keystone=more gas$

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Sweet pickled
    As always had a great time, but to be honest when you pulled out the spider bars I thought oh shit this is going to be a tangled mess, with lots-o-snags trying to bounce, I was wrong those things are bitchen not one issue.
    And to Rich very nice job on the rod, so nice it got to ride up front in the cab with us to and from the ramp.:D I think Rick likes it.
    Thanks for another great day fishing, I look forward to seeing more of what your new toys can do.

11. ECMFab

ECMFab A Salt Weapon

Name:
    Ethan
    Boat:
    Sold her :(
    Looks pretty neat.. Cant wait to hear more about them

12. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Instigator General

Name:
    JMH
    Boat:
    Always a good one
    That spiral wrap rod is trippy, never saw one before. What's the advantage? Thanks for the report. :cheers:

13. DaGoose

DaGoose Go pound sand

Name:
    Rick Ferguson
    Boat:
    old
    Hi Bada Bing,

I had never heard of such a thing either. My friend Rich came upon it at C&M Custom Tackle Rod Building Supplies while researching components to wrap his first flyrod. The website has a lot of great info and Rich has a thread on the Rod Building forum (it's probably buried a few pages back) when he started the project.

Basically it transitions the line to bottom of the rod so it acts like a spinning rod, eliminating all of the rod side torque. It is perfect for bouncing since the rod is under constant load. Plus it will likely solve my problem of busting a few rods each year at the tip.

Check it out! Looks funky. Works great.

Rick

14. jaebeee2006

jaebeee2006 JB

Name:
    Jay
    Boat:
    23, SeaSwirl Striper, No Worries
    nice work trying somehting different that paid off, I've hear Mola are actually very good tasting..

15. treggon

treggon Newbie

Name:
    Treggon Owens
    Boat:
    Hobie Kayak
    Hey Dustin, a fish is a fish, I could swear that is my old friend crazy Dustin from Encinitas, you know the guy that took me to my first party :) Keehan just called me up and had me log onto BD to check out a supposed sighting of Dustin on the boards. I almost dropped my jaw to the floor! Nice fish, good to see you man, live in the flesh!

Man, we miss you if you are reading this! Look us up, or if anyone knows Dustin, tell him to find Treggon and Mike, so we can go fishing!:hali_olutta:

16. Fog Ducker

Fog Ducker Huckleberry

Name:
    Rick
    Boat:
    Hobie Skif
    Cool report, pics and rod. How do you fish the spreader bars? Its amazing how small legal halibut look in pictures.

17. Fred Archer

Fred Archer Big Game's the Name

Name:
    Captain Fred Archer
    Boat:
    36 Custom (Cabo)
    That spiral wrap is the answer to an old quest by many major rod manufacturers to find a way to end both spline and especially guide side torque. They tried many times by running the line thru the inside of the blank, starting back by the reel. It worked, but never caught on. Spiral wraps get the job done, but they too look kinda goofy to some.

Goose, you'll break that spiral rod too if you keep over-hooping the rods. That happens when you "high stick" the rod - ie, have the butt section straight up and down, or at a sharp angle, with the fish close to you and you lift - especially if you lift toward you, like when positioning some flat thing for a gaff shot. You could also over hoop and break a tip just by lifting a bounce ball wrong. The finest graphite rods in the world will break like a match stick if you "over hoop" them. Hoop strength is the Achilles Heel of all rods, except perhaps the Ugly Stiks made with the patented Howell Process.

Keepa da ben inna pole, Gooser.