Oside Flattie Report 2/21

Discussion in 'Southern California Inshore & Islands Fish Reports' started by DaGoose, Feb 22, 2009.

1. DaGoose

DaGoose Go pound sand

Name:
    Rick Ferguson
    Boat:
    old
    Fished yesterday with Dustin (Fish-is-a-Fish) in a gentlemen's flattie poobah tourney against Shitbird and his friend Brian in Shirtbird's boat Wahine.

Launched at 7:00 and headed north to try some different spots since it was not happening to the south for us last week. There was a nice swell in the morning at high tide but no wind on it.

Dropped em in the water about 7:30 and started to pound sand. Clarity wasn't great, stained green with a hint of brown. Water temps around 58.7 or so. Got a few very short sandies on the inside and headed out to deeper water looking for any wiff of a flat fish and bite pattern for no joy. Worked from 35 - 135 feet.

At noon Shitbird calls and the bbq is fired up for lunch. Ran over and floated downwind while he put the final touches on double cheeseburgers with bacon, onion, pickle, lettuce, tomatoe, ketsup, mayo, mustard, and mushrooms on grilled rye bread. The smell was just incredible!!!! Shitbird handed off the hot burgs and we sat there and mauled them for 20 minutes or so just taking it all in. Another unbelievably delicious on the water lunch from chef Jeff. Thank you my friend!!!!!!! :worship:

Started pounding sand again working south and we couldn't get a bite to save our ass. The water cleared up a bit in the afternoon so ran back north to try to get something going. About 2:00 we got a biter in 45 feet. I put a bad gaff shot on her but she was in the boat going a little over 9 lbs. Maybe this was the pattern we were looking for....... NOT. Worked the area hard for another hour and a half por nada. Had to call it a day at 3:30 so I could make it back for wifey's bday dinner.

The DFG was at the ramp to survey fish taken. He is a super cool guy....don't know his name. Anyways, it sounded like it was very very slow for others with just a few short sandies caught.

I thought I had some cool pics from lunch but somehow managed to forget the CF card in the digi :imdumb:

Anyways, not much of a fish report. We had a great day on the water nonetheless. They're going to chew sometime.................

Tight Lines,

Rick

2. Captain Curt

Captain Curt Cooter

Name:
    Curtis
    Boat:
    24ft Skipjack FB "Hanna"
    Lunch on the water can't be beat. Not a better burger in the world. I'm sure you'll get the Ol' ...........bullshit without pictures routine form someone around here, but I could almost smell them when I was reading your thread. Keep on beating sand Rick. Another big one is coming your way soon.

Curtis...........

The boat Hanna........

3. el capo

el capo Member

Name:
    miguel
    Boat:
    none
    Still sounds better than what I did all week.

4. Mark66

Mark66 Member

Name:
    Mark
    Boat:
    27' Cat
    Rick! Sounds like a fine day to me brother. Nice work on puttin one in the boat. The burgers sound incredible too. Thanks for the report.

5. tsurikichi

tsurikichi Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    10' 2 1/64"
    Hi DaGoose,

With no trash talk directed at anyone ...... your 'not much of' report is more informative for guys actually going out than many a thread !! Of course, any and all reports appreciated. Sometimes even the infamous one-incomplete-sentance ones !!

Keep that useful detail coming !!

tsurikichi

6. Stanley

Stanley Pro Boat Scrubber

Name:
    Spooker
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack FB, 19.5' Glastron SE and a ScupperPro TW
    I believe that is scheduled for April 4th. Nice report, Rick.

7. tsurikichi

tsurikichi Newbie

Name:
    Ron
    Boat:
    10' 2 1/64"
    Hi Stanley,

'I believe that is scheduled for April 4th'.

Your talking about the simultaneous opening date of the FH Show and the WSB monster-bite at Catalina aren't you? :)

tsurikichi

8. Tunaslam

Tunaslam I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Cory Visser
    Boat:
    N/A
    Great effort Goose! It apparently was slow fishing for a lot of species yesterday. Needs a little moer time after storms for settling? Better luck next time out. My stomach growled when you described the Cheese burgers, yum yum!

9. Bank Robber

Bank Robber Hyperbolist

Name:
    Dean
    Boat:
    F/V Bank Robber
    Thanks for the report Rick, not a lot of them getting posted lately. Even when the fishing is tough you have to get out and feed the addiction.

10. UnReel

UnReel Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    You couldn't say it anyway
    Boat:
    24' Skipjack open "UnReel"
    Weird as the shore anglers have been cracking them localy !!!

11. fish is a fish

fish is a fish keystone=more gas$

Name:
    Dustin
    Boat:
    Sweet pickled
    Thanks man, and as an old wise man once said "they have to go somewhere.":shakin:

Once again nothing better than a day on the water with good friends and great eats.

12. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    1 is always bettter than none. I picked up a 31"er in San Diego bay the same day.

Started the day out the same as you... Couldn't get anything to go so had to go back to the ole fav. spot and it produced.

Do you have any favorite spots as a "Go to" in a pinch?

Not asking locations, just if they exist.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  13. DaGoose

DaGoose Go pound sand

Name:
    Rick Ferguson
    Boat:
    old
    :1041677399:LOL I had a blast out there with you bro!

Max, that's a great question. I have heaps of "go to" spots since I've been pounding sand for many years up and down the coast. The GPS has around 290 marks for structure and spots where we have taken fish in the past.

I try to start in areas that produced recently to see if the pattern holds and then move on to another if no joy. Lately it's been real tough so I'm trying deeper and shallower than normal to see if they moved somewhere new to me.

Then again, you just never know if they're down there and just not chewing or they moved. You can pound the same area all day long then they start to chew.

Some years an area is great for a long time then it just dries up.

I guess that's what makes it so much fun. It can drive you nuts too!

There really is no substitute for pounding sand with a good technique/rig.

That's about all I really know LOL

Congrats on the flattie!

Rick

14. @-EZ

@-EZ Fail, try again.

Name:
    Max
    Boat:
    Trophy Pro, @-EZ
    Thank you for the info. I'm still trying to figure this out. I've never thought about starting were I last left off and continue on from there. I may have to give that a shot.

15. crazy hawaiian

crazy hawaiian Member

Name:
    Tony
    Boat:
    17.5' Seaswirl c/c
    I call BS without pics...

...of the cheeseburgers!

16. Keelhauler

Keelhauler Newbie

Name:
    Mike Keehan
    Boat:
    22ft Zephyr
    Shitbird really cooks a mean lunch on the water, I have the honor of eating some of his creations on a trip. By the way Dustin and Jeff this is Mike. Wanna fish with you guys again.

17. BIG_SCHNABEL

BIG_SCHNABEL Newbie

Name:
    mike
    Boat:
    dont have one
    TRY SPOTS WHIT TRAPS ON THEM USALLY THE FISH HANGIN AROUND WILL COMIN IN DO TO THE SMELL OF THE BAIT IN THE POTS