PENN

Harborlocal

Aug 18, 2013
Oceanside, ca
Name
Me
Boat
N/a
Went out at 1st light in our small aluminum with 4 people. Kinda choppy and mixed up but not too rough while we were out. With 4 people it was too much weight to really run fast and cover good ground with the chop.

Went straight out about 7 miles then north to san o then inshore to about 3 miles then back to the harbor around noon. Just iron fishing with a tiny bit of feather trolling thru dolphin.

Saw some good potential with birds circling and bait jumping but didn't get to the point of fish feeding. Tons of birds sitting and tons and tons of dolphin and a few whales. Had a really hard time finding any paddys and the radio made it sound like it was same for most other people too. Found a few towards the end and saw yellows under one but wouldn't bite our jigs. Saw one really small tuna super close in towards the harbor while running on the way back by the time we stopped and circled there was no life.

Hopefully we get some next trip but this one was just driving.

Upvote 0

EL JEFE

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 7, 2004
Inland Empire
Name
"EL JEFE"
Boat
1988 Arima Sea Sprinter
Thanks for the report. If you are willing to travel up to LB, your luck may be better with the YT holding firm at the 150. It's a parking lot out there, but you will get fish if you put in the time.

Generally speaking, if your alum boat is a 14'-15' (Gregor, Klamath, Valco, Sears, etc), 4 is too many passengers and not very safe off shore..... even at just 1-2 miles. Safer with 2 aboard. I believe the weight limit of that type of boat is 700-900#. Motor, fuel, gear, passengers, etc.

Upvote 0

Pizzica

Almost A Member
May 24, 2009
oceanside,ca
Name
joe
Boat
19' SEAPRO
Did the same trip with 4 but ran out 11 miles,Stopped on giant baitballs with fish holding but couldn't get bit !!Trolled Macs,sardines and artificials thru tons of bait but couldn't get bit.Saw 3 different species of whale,Grey,Finback and PILOT ??HAD PORPOISE RIDING BOW WAVE SO CLOSE MY NEPHEW COULD TOUCH THEM,but he didn't!!TONS AND TONS AND TONS of birds!!Saw 2 paddies all day and there was so much bait in the water nothing directly under but if you stayed about 50-60 ft. away you would meter fish but NO TAKERS!!!Came home and drifted the Harbor for Only Strikes of the Day:jig:

Upvote 0
Jul 22, 2008
In the boat/in the blind
Name
Bill
Boat
18' westcoaster SOLD
Nice try I fish 4 in mine all the time never had a problem. I don't know how big your boat is though. I did 18 out last year and didn't see anything I was bummed but I'm going looking again this summer

Upvote 0

Harborlocal

Aug 18, 2013
Oceanside, ca
Name
Me
Boat
N/a
15' gregor and 20 plus years of running with 4-5 people onboard. Those gregors are awesome and ride super nice and dry, just have to know what your doing and not be stupid. We also saw pilots whales and my brother had the same thing with dolphins next to our boat. Splashing us they were jumping so close. Really hoping we can manage a few decent tuna onboard the small boat this summer. Hopefully next week if the wind cooperates.

Reactions: calisnowhunter
Upvote 0

kevina

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    Thanks for the report. If you are willing to travel up to LB, your luck may be better with the YT holding firm at the 150. It's a parking lot out there, but you will get fish if you put in the time.

Generally speaking, if your alum boat is a 14'-15' (Gregor, Klamath, Valco, Sears, etc), 4 is too many passengers and not very safe off shore..... even at just 1-2 miles. Safer with 2 aboard. I believe the weight limit of that type of boat is 700-900#. Motor, fuel, gear, passengers, etc.

Upvote 0