PENN

gobarbless

Nov 27, 2010
United States
Name
Dale
Boat
hopeful 2019
Short version - started getting bit at 0630, steady pick until we pulled away at 1130. Largest 40 pounds, average 20-25. Most on dines, a few on macs we made the night before. Awesome crew and Capt!!!.

Longer Version
Got to the landing early but chilled with the limited load guys I would be fishing with on Sat. Left the dock about 915. Capt said the bait barge had no bait :( so we would need to make bait in the harbor. Oh well, something to do since I don't sleep anyway. We stopped for about 1.5 hours and had maybe 100 baits, which made me nervous but there is always jigs, etc. In any case the capt comes on the PA and says he is getting mixed messages about bait being available, so we head out. We get to the bait fisherman who just pulled in and yes, a lot of very nice dines, perfect for YT or tunas. I am happy....

We chug out to the back side of SBI and get there about 615 to this, flat and warm!! looking fishy.
IMG_0349.JPG

So the capt putts around looking for the spot and 10 minutes later we are on anchor, tuna fishing??? go figure, but he is the expert and I fish maybe 1 or 2 times a month.

10 minutes on my first soak, bam, first BFT of the day, about a 20lber. Yes, this will be good. Now things start happening and we have a steady one or 2 hanging for about an hour. I got 2 more, uhum cough, 1 more and shared a third. Moved about 1/4 mile and start again, same thing. Jp fish gets hung here by a guy who got taken around the boat a couple times. Bloody deck and my feet as a frame of reference.
IMG_0369.JPG

The Black Pearl crew and capt are top notch!! Limited Load, 25 guys for $150. They helped all the newbies and the guys with some skills. Good chorizo burrito for lunch, (actually cooked for Bfast but I was too busy catching BFT.)

End of the day I hooked and shared 8 total, lost one, pulled the hook. Weird though, some of the bites were soft, like a bass, pick up the bait and mouth it, hmm, had about 10 of those, bait came back all chewed, go figure.
IMG_0365.jpg

We also got one of these too:
IMG_0355.JPG

One more shout out to my friend Tony at SCE. For 17 years he has been setting up a day for SCE employees to take a group of boys from a foster home fishing the second Saturday of Sept and yesterday 9/11, we had a great day. Over 100 bass and bonito for a half day. Here is the 6 lb (per the deckhand) JP Calico I hooked and handed to a kid. he smiled for about an hour after he pulled this bad boy in. Largest Calico I have hooked.
IMG_0308.jpg

Go get em, Dale

Upvote 0

surfaceslinger

Almost A Member
May 31, 2009
SANTA ANA
Name
Kevin Cooney
Boat
none
Short version - started getting bit at 0630, steady pick until we pulled away at 1130. Largest 40 pounds, average 20-25. Most on dines, a few on macs we made the night before. Awesome crew and Capt!!!.

Longer Version
Got to the landing early but chilled with the limited load guys I would be fishing with on Sat. Left the dock about 915. Capt said the bait barge had no bait :( so we would need to make bait in the harbor. Oh well, something to do since I don't sleep anyway. We stopped for about 1.5 hours and had maybe 100 baits, which made me nervous but there is always jigs, etc. In any case the capt comes on the PA and says he is getting mixed messages about bait being available, so we head out. We get to the bait fisherman who just pulled in and yes, a lot of very nice dines, perfect for YT or tunas. I am happy....

We chug out to the back side of SBI and get there about 615 to this, flat and warm!! looking fishy.
View attachment 623382

So the capt putts around looking for the spot and 10 minutes later we are on anchor, tuna fishing??? go figure, but he is the expert and I fish maybe 1 or 2 times a month.

10 minutes on my first soak, bam, first BFT of the day, about a 20lber. Yes, this will be good. Now things start happening and we have a steady one or 2 hanging for about an hour. I got 2 more, uhum cough, 1 more and shared a third. Moved about 1/4 mile and start again, same thing. Jp fish gets hung here by a guy who got taken around the boat a couple times. Bloody deck and my feet as a frame of reference.
View attachment 623383

The Black Pearl crew and capt are top notch!! Limited Load, 25 guys for $150. They helped all the newbies and the guys with some skills. Good chorizo burrito for lunch, (actually cooked for Bfast but I was too busy catching BFT.)

End of the day I hooked and shared 8 total, lost one, pulled the hook. Weird though, some of the bites were soft, like a bass, pick up the bait and mouth it, hmm, had about 10 of those, bait came back all chewed, go figure.
View attachment 623386

We also got one of these too:
View attachment 623384

One more shout out to my friend Tony at SCE. For 17 years he has been setting up a day for SCE employees to take a group of boys from a foster home fishing the second Saturday of Sept and yesterday 9/11, we had a great day. Over 100 bass and bonito for a half day. Here is the 6 lb (per the deckhand) JP Calico I hooked and handed to a kid. he smiled for about an hour after he pulled this bad boy in. Largest Calico I have hooked.
View attachment 623385

Go get em, Dale

Upvote 0

ono no

Apr 17, 2012
Newport Beach
Name
George
Boat
none
Weird though, some of the bites were soft, like a bass, pick up the bait and mouth it, hmm, had about 10 of those, bait came back all chewed, go figure.

I've had that happen to me maybe about a hundred times in my life while fishing for Bluefin. Very few times with Yellowfin or Albacore (and never on SkipJack). I've been swearing for 20 years that the Bluefin are sometimes smart enough to NOT eat the hook, kind of like a Sealion. My friends think I'm nuts and don't give these fish any credit. I'm gonna argue that one.

Upvote 0

Shark Meat

Diehard/Determined CAPT
Apr 5, 2006
San Diego, CA
Name
Mike
Boat
Glacier Bay 2670 Isle Runner - Shark Meat II
Very nice day love BFT

Upvote 0

MikeeDaGuy

Fishin FIN-Attict
May 21, 2006
Frazier Park
Name
Mikee
Boat
12' Klamath Aluminium, 14' Valco
That worx!!

Great report and pics!

Upvote 0

gobarbless

Nov 27, 2010
United States
Name
Dale
Boat
hopeful 2019
I've had that happen to me maybe about a hundred times in my life while fishing for Bluefin. Very few times with Yellowfin or Albacore (and never on SkipJack). I've been swearing for 20 years that the Bluefin are sometimes smart enough to NOT eat the hook, kind of like a Sealion. My friends think I'm nuts and don't give these fish any credit. I'm gonna argue that one.
thanks for the feedback, i have not caught a lot of BFT so I had no reference, now I know. so you are not nuts!!

Upvote 0

steelhead88

Marriage is not a word; it is a sentence!
Aug 18, 2008
Ventura
Name
Scott
Boat
GRAYLIGHT- Custom 23' Aluminum Pilothouse
Great read and report, wow, that is an outstanding day!

Upvote 0

arenpilav41

jjpilav
Mar 28, 2013
Encino, CA
Name
Pilav
Boat
No Boat
So whats the story... Is this a new captain and crew? Because my experience on this boat about 2 years ago was horrible! It looks like things have changed for the better. Glad to see, good job on the bluefin!

Upvote 0

gobarbless

Nov 27, 2010
United States
Name
Dale
Boat
hopeful 2019
So whats the story... Is this a new captain and crew? Because my experience on this boat about 2 years ago was horrible! It looks like things have changed for the better. Glad to see, good job on the bluefin!
yes the whole crew and capt changed out. Nice guys and they fish well too

Upvote 0

lopro

Ocean Junkie
Aug 4, 2012
West Covina
Name
Jordan
Boat
Malibu Stealth 12
Nice haul. I fished the same area on sunday with the black pearl. Got my first blue and jackpot. They got a solid operation and I plan to fish with them again. Check out my report in chit chat under black pearl/rsw?

Upvote 0
P

Paddyman1

Checkerboards have been a lost thought this season. Plenty of time to fatten up! Nice report, thanks!

Upvote 0