aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Went on the Orion out of SeaForth for a 1 1/2 trip towards Mexico somewhere.. Got beat up out there on the weather but still caught a few. Didn't take much pictures cause i rather fish. Here it goes.

DA OTTA B BIGGA

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 10, 2008
Oceanside
Name
Nic
Boat
15'klamath, DA OTTA B BIGGA
Why is there a bonita in that trash can? Why are all the fish whole in the parking lot? Just curious.

bmtrout77

GO ILLINI
Feb 3, 2007
San Diego
Name
Brian
Boat
NADA
I have no idea about the Bone in the trashcan, other than that maybe seemed like a good place to put it at the time, but, the fish you see in the parking lot are fish that customers opted to not have cleaned on the boat, or they are gilled and gutted fish. Most boats that use RSW will simply sort out all of the fish when you get back to docks, they put them in nice little piles for you to pick up.

aznboy619

Not a Newbie
Apr 25, 2006
Alhambra
Name
Victor
Boat
None
Why is there a bonita in that trash can? Why are all the fish whole in the parking lot? Just curious.
Well the deckhand didnt want blood all over the deck. So he opted to put the bonita in the trash can to be bleed.
The fish are in the lot because of landing doesnt want it all over there concert floor.

Aug 25, 2008
OB
www.baitbarge.com
Name
Chris
Boat
Someone else's............Condor,Ocean Odyssea,Pacific Queen,Prowler,the list goes on.
Well the deckhand didnt want blood all over the deck. So he opted to put the bonita in the trash can to be bleed.
The fish are in the lot because of landing doesnt want it all over there concert floor.
:frehya2: Since when did they start holdin' concerts at the landing?
Cheers.Way to go on the fish.Too bad the water was so rough.

GUERO

Mansfield to Alijos......
Oct 24, 2004
9210B
Name
Big Girl, AKA, Miss March
Boat
Pinnacle Sportfishing
looking forward to fishing with Brain on his new sled

la vida

Now I love our Prezzz!!!
Jun 28, 2006
El Cazonn
Name
Frank F
Boat
Boat-less (Sad)
The tuna love that little boat.

BOILER

No Fat Chicks
Mar 11, 2009
Los Angeles
Name
Boiler
Boat
The "Persiphany"
looking forward to fishing with Brain on his new sled

Hey Guero you fish this boat a lot? When did Tom stop working as the captain? I haven't fished it in about 4 years or so but I used to like it especially because of the limited loads and we were always on fish.

bugman

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Oct 7, 2004
san diego
Name
bob sciacqua
Boat
15' gregor baja , 17' Boston Whaler "Bella Serra"
Ebner sold it a couple of years ago to Jack Rader jr. and his brother in law Bill. Bill got out of sportfishing and Junior,with a kid on the way' sold it to Bryan Wynn. Junior is now running the Lois Ann(dive boat) and relief for the Cherokee Giesha. Tom Ebner owns and runs the Aztec. Bugman

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
I worked on that boat. Still would if I didn't have to do summer school.

That trash can is for bleeding fish. It's just one of the reasons I recommend the Orion. All the PBers on here know that the difference between a bled fish and one that hasn't been bled is like night and day. I remember when I was about 12 I fished on an overnight boat and the deckhand told me not to bleed my fish because it would get the boat bloody. In the middle of a wide open bite, there was blood everywhere. I felt bad because I was a kid, but now I just think WTF. On the Orion the deckhand will make sure your fish gets bled, so thats a good thing. The trash can allows us to keep the fish out of the way while it bleeds out. Every fish caught on that boat gets bled.

Reason #2 I recommend the boat: there's no quit in Bryan. He's just an aggressive fisherman through and through and he really doesn't hang 'em up until its over. Some people would rather fish with a chummy captain than a serious fisherman. I wouldn't. Bryan's nice enough, I like him a lot, but you're not going on a date with the guy. His job first and foremost is to put you on fish and he lives for that.

If I could fish any boat I'd fish the Orion. The value for the price of the ticket with Bryan fishing is hard to beat. Not the most comfortable boat in bad weather. Keep that in mind.

Overall I recommend it, and if you've been on the Orion before but not with Bryan you should really give it a go. You'll see just how hard he fishes. The guy is intense and will likely make you feel like a total novice if you see him at the rail because he's such a good fisherman.

Oh I hear the crew isn't bad either ;)

P.S. For the regulars last season, the Kiwis will be back this season. I will not :(

Tunacat217

Well-Known "Member"
Aug 15, 2008
Coronado
Name
Matt
Boat
Picture of a 28' Triton
I second that post. I fished with Bryan on the Orion 4 times last year. He doesnt mind spending a few extra hours out on the water to find a good bite. Last trip everyone on the boat left with fish and it was only an over night one. I will say this though---- dont be the dude to lose a fish on Bryans boat. He gets a little upset and wants to see everyone leave with something. Also when he puts you on them he expects you to return the favor and land it. Good numbers is good for his business and he busts his ass to get you to them. I plan on fishing with him a few times this summer; excellent boat.

I worked on that boat. Still would if I didn't have to do summer school.

That trash can is for bleeding fish. It's just one of the reasons I recommend the Orion. All the PBers on here know that the difference between a bled fish and one that hasn't been bled is like night and day. I remember when I was about 12 I fished on an overnight boat and the deckhand told me not to bleed my fish because it would get the boat bloody. In the middle of a wide open bite, there was blood everywhere. I felt bad because I was a kid, but now I just think WTF. On the Orion the deckhand will make sure your fish gets bled, so thats a good thing. The trash can allows us to keep the fish out of the way while it bleeds out. Every fish caught on that boat gets bled.

Reason #2 I recommend the boat: there's no quit in Bryan. He's just an aggressive fisherman through and through and he really doesn't hang 'em up until its over. Some people would rather fish with a chummy captain than a serious fisherman. I wouldn't. Bryan's nice enough, I like him a lot, but you're not going on a date with the guy. His job first and foremost is to put you on fish and he lives for that.

If I could fish any boat I'd fish the Orion. The value for the price of the ticket with Bryan fishing is hard to beat. Not the most comfortable boat in bad weather. Keep that in mind.

Overall I recommend it, and if you've been on the Orion before but not with Bryan you should really give it a go. You'll see just how hard he fishes. The guy is intense and will likely make you feel like a total novice if you see him at the rail because he's such a good fisherman.

Oh I hear the crew isn't bad either ;)

P.S. For the regulars last season, the Kiwis will be back this season. I will not :(

sansou

Jan 14, 2007
San Diego
Name
Rich
Boat
M/V INVICTA
Aznboy619, it was a pleasure fishing with you this trip. Hopefully we'll get a chance to wet lines again.

Despite the weather, I thought it was a great little getaway trip. I highly recommend the boat and crew...very positive attitude and friendly atmosphere. I like how Capt Brian keeps everyone informed of whats going on and tells you his game plan.

Thanks Aznboy619 for the tip about sprinkling a little fresh garlic (in addition to green onion) on the bonito sashimi...nice touch! (fish caught on the new rapala xmag30 mack pattern)

ECMFab

A Salt Weapon
Mar 24, 2008
Oceanside/CA/USA
Name
Ethan
Boat
Sold her :(
Brian is the shiznit! I really enjoyed fishing with him and we all killed it. I cant wait for tuna time to see how many longfin I can pull on with Brian in the wheelhouse.

blacktooth

pelagic hunter
May 14, 2008
Loma Linda,Ca
Name
Shawn Turner
Boat
22' . SlingShot
you cant be serius....capt. bryan is a freaking bone -head ..he skippered the aztec and what a retard that guy is....on an overniter we had our lines in the water less than 30 min.............he burnt-up an impeller ,took us out 120mi.+ into rough seas and at noon he said "well guys were 100+mi. out and it's noon we have to be at the docks at 10:00 p.m you do the math" so i did do some math....me on any boat bryans on = 0........everthing that guy said even sounded stupid..."hey guys were going to be looking for dirty water with condoms and needles floating..thats were the are....." what a joke....i prefer nice clear blue-purple water .....if you are looking for a NICE overniter i would suggest the Prowler or the Holiday...but bryan does like to fish... but i'd rather do some catching..........sorry to offend but thats my story....
BT

Rabid Fish

Jun 27, 2004
Southern California
Name
Alex
Boat
26'
you cant be serius....capt. bryan is a freaking bone -head ..he skippered the aztec and what a retard that guy is....on an overniter we had our lines in the water less than 30 min.............he burnt-up an impeller ,took us out 120mi.+ into rough seas and at noon he said "well guys were 100+mi. out and it's noon we have to be at the docks at 10:00 p.m you do the math" so i did do some math....me on any boat bryans on = 0........everthing that guy said even sounded stupid..."hey guys were going to be looking for dirty water with condoms and needles floating..thats were the are....." what a joke....i prefer nice clear blue-purple water .....if you are looking for a NICE overniter i would suggest the Prowler or the Holiday...but bryan does like to fish... but i'd rather do some catching..........sorry to offend but thats my story....
BT
You don't offend at all. I think just about every captain in the fleet has his share of nay-sayers. That said we have to consider a few things.

Imagine if you had to take people out on your boat every day. You have one bad day of fishing, all of a sudden there's a guy saying the same things about you.

I totally understand where you're coming from, I would hate to not be satisfied when I paid to go out. Getting skunked sucks, but when you feel like the captain isn't doing his job, well that's a tough nut.

On the other hand, you have to remember a few things about fishing, especially overnight fishing.

1) Listen to the captain and the crew. I am a 21 year old kid. When I tell a guy who has been fishing for twice as long as I've been alive what to use and what not to, he will likely tell me to stick my suggestion... well you know.

But here's the thing. I'm not saying I'm a better fisherman than you (good Lord, I am definitely not). All my advice comes from the fact that I've been on the fishing grounds every day for two weeks straight, and you haven't. I know what they're hitting right now. If that little pink feather has been getting bit 10 times a day for the past week, well it doesn't take 40 years experience to say maybe we should keep that feather out there, and leave your "lucky lure" in the bag for a while.

2) Nobody likes to get skunked. It may feel like money out of your pocket, like you just wasted a couple hundred bucks. Believe me, it costs us hundreds of dollars too, in tips and in fish cleaning money. Those two things are over 50% of a deckhand's (meager) income. It hurts us just as much, we're just as bored, twice as tired and guess what? We still have to do it again tomorrow.

So in the case of your story, first off Bryan isn't the Aztec captain, as far as I know he never was. Ran the Sea Watch, then bought the O. So he was fishing on a boat that wasn't his, and the impeller problem is a wad of cash straight out of his pocket. Believe me, when you're trying to pay off the boat you just bought, which you invested basically your life in, well those things hit hard.

As far as the dirty water goes, I know conventional wisdom is to look for blue water for the tuna, but last season there were several times where the fish were in the cold, dirty water and you couldn't catch crap in the blue water. If I wasn't out every day for the past week I'd be scratching my head too, but just refer to #1. Believe me, we know what's going on, we would never half ass it because, well, refer to #2. It costs us money to not catch you fish.

For those two reasons alone I say let the captains do their job. If a captain wanted to make no money, he'd take the day off. Not half-ass it on your dime. And I think we all should remember this, especially on those forgettable days. Your story could have easily been any captain. We should all remember how hard they work.

Bryan's always been the hardest working guy on the boat, no matter what. A lot of captains aren't that way. The second on our boat was worthless, he drove for a few hours at night and slept all day. Bryan drove the boat 5 am - 11 pm. From dawn until 3pm with binoculars GLUED to his face all season. Try looking through those things all day when you're out driving your skiff. Not fun. Now try doing it every day for 4 months. You have to respect it.

DavidE

I Love This Game
Jul 17, 2007
Whittier, Ca
Name
David
Boat
n/a
Don't feed tha trolls. Bryan is a fish killer for real. Anyone who fishes with him knows this. Anyone familiar with SD sportfishing knows this. 'Nuff said.