Shaun Meyer

Nov 5, 2018
La Habra
Name
Shaun
Boat
none
Hello All:

I have been trying to get out and get some solo surf fishing in and been doing some research on it. I have done it a handful of times before and understand the tackle that is used and where to kind of look for fish. My question is what beaches have you been to have have produced some good numbers? From Huntington to Crystal Cove is where i would like to stay in but if i need to venture out a bit further i will. Also, people are stating that after low tide, swinging on to the incoming tide is the best. True or false? Also, is there an evening bite or is it mainly a morning bite? Just a kid trying to find beaches as well as times.

Thank you ALL!!!

Upvote 0

acefuture

@acecraftco
Apr 3, 2019
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Ace
Boat
Always changing
Tons of good spots in huntington and newport. In all reality that entire stretch has produced for me. Morning or night doesn't really matter, just depends on tide swings and finding the holes. Low tide allows you to find the holes, then once they fill in during the high tide swing, you know exactly where to fish. Crab beds are your friend. Use light line, 6lb mono main line and a 4lb flouro leader, like 18" on a carolina rig with 1/2 - 3/4oz slider and a small hook. The corbina are line shy. If you're lookin for halibut, a 110 Lucky Craft in white or sardine work well, or a sardine colored swim bait. Huntington from river jetties all the way up to dog beach has been a great spot for me

Reactions: HighWildFree
Upvote 0

tuner

pysgotwyr
  • May 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Steve
    Boat
    260 Mackinaw
    I have surf fished from the Wedge to Surfside since the 70's, it is a very productive stretch of sand.

Incoming AM tide is best for most sandy beaches. A big AM new moon tide is nearly a sure thing. Evening tides peaking at sunset can also be very productive.

I fish the Carolina rig as described by acefuture, except with less weight (1/4-1/2oz max) and a #4-#6 black fine wire hook. Use sandcrabs, ghost shrimp, and blood worms for bait, or, for artificial, red flake and motor oil grubs from Big Hammer.

Go to sandy beaches at low tide and look for troughs that run parallel to the beach. Return and fish the trough and the rip currents that flow out from the ends of the troughs.

Rocky beaches are a different beast with access and water flow being more critical.

Reactions: HighWildFree
    Upvote 0

PHOTOG2

Oct 12, 2020
    So cal
    Name
    Jesse
    Boat
    24 skipjack fb
    Ive fished huntington and all local beaches and if you can find sandbars or chennels try to hit those good. I had good luck carolina rigging and using owner mosquito hook and half of a gulp sandworm in camo color. Perch like it.

Upvote 0

Shaun Meyer

Nov 5, 2018
    La Habra
    Name
    Shaun
    Boat
    none
    Thank you all for your help! I ended up fishing Newport Dog Beach. Low tide was at 4:15 in the morning so it was pitch black. Fished the incoming tide for 2 hours. Ended up with 4 small perch that morning. It was fun but doing it all with a full moon.

Ended up using, 4lbs floro leader, 3/4 egg sinker, #4 mosquito hook, Gulp! Sand worms in camo, Carolina rigged. I will say this, having your reel spooled up with 50# braid is nice since you can feel all the little ticks and bites.

Again, thanks for the help on spots!

Reactions: Cubeye
    Upvote 0