Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
245 Fisherman open “Bloody Anarchy”
I dropped my glasses in the drink last weekend and need a new pair.
Is anybody here an optometrist?

I would like to get a pair of polarized prescription sunglasses like Costa or Maui Jim or...

I have heard more than once that going through a proper optometrist will yield a better product than going through any of the boutique sunglass shops / manufacturers?

Any suggestions from you guys wearing prescription sunglasses?

Upvote 0

Winstondry

Winstondry
Dec 16, 2003
San Diego
Name
Alain
Boat
Ranger Z520L
I have had Maui Jims and Oakley's done in Rx, both very pricey. I like the MJ's better.

My eye doc and optometrist are at the SD Eye Center very well known in the industry so getting appointments can be tough.

San Diego Eye & Laser: Leung Richard J MD
3075 Health Center Dr # 403
(858) 278-9900

Upvote 0

smokinwater

"Fire's Out!"
Apr 27, 2011
Chula Vista, CA
Name
Jon
Boat
won't b mine
I tried looking, but quickly gave up when prices were described. I ended up doing a search and found those paste-on plastic magnifying lenses to put on any pair of sunglasses. Actually turned the receipt over to my insurance provider, who fought me over the $20- lenses. Appealed and won my money. Believe it or not, they wanted me to do what you're trying to do. Said they would rather pay back the bigger bucks than chump change for the pasties. Go figure.

Upvote 0

fishkilr

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
Don't go thru an optician or optometrist other than for the written prescription if you want to save money... Then call Maui Jim or other sunglasses manufacturer direct for prices on filling your prescription... It will be costly but no middleman...

Upvote 0

Surfer Ed

Almost A Member
Apr 10, 2015
Clarkdale, AZ
Name
Ed
Boat
Shogun, Vagabond, New Lo Ann
I have a prescription Maui Jim Makaha. Polarized lens. I got to choose what type Maui Jim lenses which I picked the neutral grey. I got them thru my optometrist - Southwest eye. Nice thing getting from your Optometrist- I used my health insurance Flex plan to pay for them. They were pricey but I put money in my flex plan that paid for the whole amount

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
Thank you for the input guys.

The Maui Jim lab looks pretty damn impressive.

Really thinking the suggestion about placing the order directly thru MJ might be the ticket.
If nothing more than to have their lab make the lenses instead of a local shop.

Can anyone with the MJ's tell me between the HCL Bronze or Natural grey lenses which ones are better for spotting kelp paddies? :D

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
Thank you for the input guys.

The Maui Jim lab looks pretty damn impressive.

Really thinking the suggestion about placing the order directly thru MJ might be the ticket.
If nothing more than to have their lab make the lenses instead of a local shop.

Can anyone with the MJ's tell me between the HCL Bronze or Natural grey lenses which ones are better for spotting kelp paddies? :D
I think it depends on the day. I've always heard blue lenses for bright days offshore and amber lenses for darker days. Also heard blue for offshore, Amber for inshore or all purpose.

Z

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
I think it depends on the day. I've always heard blue lenses for bright days offshore and amber lenses for darker days. Also heard blue for offshore, Amber for inshore or all purpose.

Z

Yeah, I find it strange that MJ only offers like 4 pair's of glasses in the blue glass when the make around 150 different styles. Weird. o_O

Upvote 0

Thozguys

Professional Geek
Jun 16, 2008
South of Georgia and Alabama...
Name
Rob
Boat
Hydro-Sports 2800 Vector Walkaround
Go to a good optometrist for the prescription, then call these people.

http://onos.com/

Super affordable and a really great product. I have been buying the Grand Lagoon Rx from them for that last 4 years.
The blue mirror over gray in bright sunlight has always worked for me, although if you have the money the amber works great on cloudy days.

Upvote 0

Black-is-Back

Wishin i was Fishin
Jun 21, 2009
So Cal
Name
Hey you
Boat
Wow! ^^^ For the coin I'm going to have to give these guy's a serious look.

Would really like to try them on 1st but for a $400.00+ savings I might just wing it!

Thanks for the head's up.

Upvote 0

LuvBigBoats

Gone fishing
  • Sep 4, 2014
    Name
    Paul
    Boat
    Yeah Baybee!
    For progressive polarized that is insane... I use a wholesale lab and they could never do that...
    I thought it was a great deal too. Maybe they're just trying to gain market share. All I know for sure is I got them at that price and they work great on the boat.

Upvote 0