wdlfbio

Once you go Cat, you never go back
Sep 15, 2008
Olympia, WA
Name
laurence
Boat
2021 Allied WildCat 30
The only thing I didn’t plan out on the new boat was tunes. Considered just bringing a weatherproof Bluetooth speaker each time.

I’m looking at all the options and wanting to keep things simple/cheap.

I want to play our music from our phones and play XM. We’re far enough offshore that we can’t stream XM through our phones.

I don’t want a head unit. No cds, no fm, no am, no cassettes, no 8-tracks.

Would like to control tunes via any of the Axioms, but that’s not a must.

I have a couple old school Rockford Fosgate (Punch) amps from the late 90s I could put to use. Have room for 2 6” spkrs up front and 2 6” speakers in the back of the cabin seat boxes.

or, just go with Bluetooth speakers powered via 12v hardwire. I might be able to reasonably fit pod speakers under the ceiling...

what options make sense?

Upvote 0

NaClAddict

• Jul 18, 2008
    torrance
    Name
    Greg
    Boat
    22 glasstron
    Bluetooth. Wire a usb outlet. If shit ain’t marine grade it will degrade. Sounds like you’re a little bit into sound. If so, wire in a marine stereo system. Bluetooth is okay but I find unless its quiet, the sound sucks. Two 2 way 6 inch rounds make a boat boom. Only way to go if you want to rock and run!

dragonballs

I'm off probation
  • Mar 28, 2008
    Arlington WA
    Name
    Vance
    Boat
    40' ocean sport fisher
    Dc gold best waterproof speakers. Reference series. Google it.

Reactions: wdlfbio

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30

DustinD99

Chumliner
  • May 21, 2019
    Oceanside
    Name
    Spring Creek Sportfishing
    Boat
    Authorized Operator of Babu's 17' "Marie Marie" @ Spring Creek Sportfishing

Certain models come with a railing mount, are waterproof, can hold a charge for 16 hours of use, can connect multiple speakers to one another and it definitely is loud enough to hear at WOT on a single engine CC. Not to mention you could buy a new one every season at the price point. I am on my second season with minor rust on the metal screen portions and no difference in battery life.

Also certain models of these speakers come with wireless charging docking ports so they will charge your phone while you are listening to music.

Also, purchase Pandora Plus and utilize there offline listening offshore. Will cycle about 25-35 different songs on each of the 4 radio stations you can listen to while you are in offline mode. 100-140 different songs has been sufficient for us.

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    1617140343129.png

Reactions: wdlfbio and Derby

Pitchinwedge

• Aug 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Name
    Sammie
    Boat
    None
    Seriously though...

I don't have experience in marine audio per se, but lots in other audio applications. Generally, it's the speakers and speaker enclosure in relation to the surroundings that makes or breaks SQ. IME, this is the biggest determinant of whether folks love it or hate it.

Seems locations are already in mind for where to put speakers. What is the sound radiation pattern to the listeners from these locations? Internal volume of the enclosed area? Relatively thin aluminum will likely be highly resonant. Some vibration damping material may help in this regard. This is just the tip of the iceberg, so to speak.

With so many things to consider and the time/cost/complexity to retrofit a worthwhile built-in system, a good portable BT speaker seems a very good option.

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
    Sep 9, 2010
    SouthBay SF
    Name
    The Kid
    Boat
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    Need a stripper pole while your at it.

You WA lushes would get a lot of use out of it.

Like a record baby....

wdlfbio

Sep 15, 2008
    Olympia, WA
    Name
    laurence
    Boat
    2021 Allied WildCat 30
    If I went with 4 6” traditional speakers and an amp, it looks like I could go with a Fusion BT100 or JL Audio MBT-RX. Either would plug directly into the amp, then I’d Bluetooth my phone to that and control the music selection and volume via my phone. I would lose independent satellite XM (when out of cell range), but I could stream XM through my phone app while in cell range.

BT100 must be paired to the phone manually each time I’d turn on my “stereo”. Is that the same with the MBT-RX?

I’m $390 into 4 6” Skar speakers (80 watts rms, each) and an amp (75 watts rms x4), then $40 for the Bt100 or MBT-RX. Seems pretty cheap and functional. I have 10 USB ports in the cabin, so pretty easy to cheap all the phones/IPads charged up and at full brightness.

2423C629-4929-40F7-ADC6-F2E4F32051A8.jpeg

jbrincks

Sep 3, 2020
    Novato CA
    Name
    Josh
    Boat
    Brincks
    We just installed a Fusion MS-RA670 with 4 speakers and an amp and it sounds great. The Fusion is Bluetooth, XM and can connect to your Axioms.