Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
May 18, 2020
Rockport Texas
Name
Oliver
Boat
25' SaberCat
Hi everyone, I’m looking for a new deep water jigging reel. It will be paired with a Jigstar Battle Royale. Reels I’m currently looking at are the:

Valiant 800N
Marfix s5 (If I can find a reliable place to get one)
Maxel OS12
SOM Blue haven 120

At the moment, I’m thinking that the 800N is the best choice in terms of parts, price, and availability. Anyone care to chime in with opinions about my current choices or possibly any other options of reels?

Upvote 0

AKSalmon

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Jul 15, 2006
    Juneau, Alaska
    Name
    Bill Brown
    Boat
    Sold my Parker. You can find me on the Red Rooster.
    Of those options, I'd pick the Accurate. It's good to have some idea how much weight and how deep you will be fishing because high speed reels are a drag when you need to use a pound or more of weight and reel up from 400 feet.

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Of those options, I'd pick the Accurate. It's good to have some idea how much weight and how deep you will be fishing because high speed reels are a drag when you need to use a pound or more of weight and reel up from 400 feet.
    I will be jigging between 300 and 900 feet. Mostly using 500 gram knife jigs. The reels i’m looking at are very tall and narrow so you can still keep a constant retrieve with a relatively low ratio(4-5:1).

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    Tokayofishing had the marfix in stock last week.
    I considered it, but I had concerns about getting service done states side. A aka Shen told me it’s easy to service. At 53 with my bad eyes I decided I should go for something else.

Reactions: Texas Tuna
    Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Tokayofishing had the marfix in stock last week.
    I considered it, but I had concerns about getting service done states side. A aka Shen told me it’s easy to service. At 53 with my bad eyes I decided I should go for something else.
    How do you feel about the new Marfix's? I read they changed ownership and manufacturing a few times.

Upvote 0

Dave Coopman

Almost A Member
    May 26, 2019
    Huntington Beach
    Name
    Dave Coopman
    Boat
    Judge 27
    A Ka said performance wise there was no comparison between the ocea jigger and the marfix. I did msg Alan tani he seemed like he wouldn’t be interested in servicing it for me so I passed.
    I don’t know of any others who would. Parts didn’t sound like a problem to get.
    Shipping was going to be substantial too.
    If you get some info about help in the states or someone who can get them here let me know through pm. I still have interest in the reel.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

You’ll never know unless you go
    Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    My OS 12s have given excellent service. They’re essentially a Jigging Master at half price. Same dimensions, same material, same bearings and gears. The East Coast boys picked up on the Maxel Ocean Max quite awhile ago, it’s a bit of a mystery why they’re not more common out west.

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    My OS 12s have given excellent service. They’re essentially a Jigging Master at half price. Same dimensions, same material, same bearings and gears. The East Coast boys picked up on the Maxel Ocean Max quite awhile ago, it’s a bit of a mystery why they’re not more common out west.
    I read a lot about the Maxel’s being very very similar to JM’s. And I absolutely adore my current JM’s even if they are a bit loud. I think the reason they aren’t as prevalent on the west coast is because the first few reels Maxel brought to the US market were smaller and didn’t stand out enough to enter the already very saturated inshore/light offshore conventional market on the pacific side. But they fit right at home on the east coast nearshore boats. Combine that with the fact that the earlier large maxel reels got patent infringed by Accurate, they just didn’t have a very good start on the west.

How much line were you able to get on your 12?

Reactions: Pacific Jigger
    Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    I read a lot about the Maxel’s being very very similar to JM’s. And I absolutely adore my current JM’s even if they are a bit loud. I think the reason they aren’t as prevalent on the west coast is because the first few reels Maxel brought to the US market were smaller and didn’t stand out enough to enter the already very saturated inshore/light offshore conventional market on the pacific side. But they fit right at home on the east coast nearshore boats. Combine that with the fact that the earlier large maxel reels got patent infringed by Accurate, they just didn’t have a very good start on the west.

How much line were you able to get on your 12?
    They’ll take a 600m spool of Tasline 100# wet packed at around 15lbs of tension. It’ll take a bit more but I’ve found my current fill level to be about right for fast jigging.

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    Wow! I'm leaning towards the Maxel now. Cheaper than the rest and seems like it's the real deal. Do you have the high speed or low speed?

Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    it’s a bit of a mystery why they’re not more common out west.
    -They're not a known name with no service network here.
    -Similar in design to Avet at twice the price.
    -Almost as much $$ as Accurate Valiant 300 but weighs about twice as much.

Nice reels with smooth gears & lots of free spool but mfgs have to roll out the whole program of dealers, promotion, & service to make an impact on the market. The local tackle shop near SF tried to get Maxel off the ground but it just didn't stick and he just sold out and never restocked.

Upvote 0

Pacific Jigger

Sep 16, 2019
    United States
    Name
    Bud
    Boat
    Formula 233
    If you want info from guys who sell and service a lot of these reels, call The Reel Seat in Brielle, NJ. They were some of the first to really use and push these reels, and they have quite a bit of feedback from the end users.

Upvote 0

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    I will be sure to ask! From some videos I have seen, they look like pretty simple reels. Is the OS12 one of the dual drag ones?

Upvote 0

benwah22

Aug 16, 2016
    South Florida
    Name
    Benny Ortiz
    Boat
    Whatever one I'm on.
    Valiant 800N - Extremely large reel, for the depths you're looking to target, the 600n or 600nn may be a better choice. Pros - weight, power, capacity. Cons - potentially issues out of the box, break in period, need to change the power knob to something else at that depth or your hand will hate you.

Marfix s5 (If I can find a reliable place to get one) - getting one isn't as bad as servicing them. When they did the remodel from blue to the newer black version, they capped the drag at 10kg versus 15kg from the blue model. I wouldn't say they're "easy to service." Yeah, you can get them open but good luck getting cork drag washers or other necessary parts. Also, the reel has some play in the handle that takes some getting used to. Because they use a dog, there's about a 1/4 inch back play before the handle locks in. Some like it, some don't.

Maxel OS12 - it's essentially a re-branded jigging master with silent dogs as opposed to the "whimsical" sound that a jigging master makes. Solid reels, good torque. Double check that the reel doesn't go into near freespool if you back it off of strike though. This was an issue in earlier models.

SOM Blue haven 120 - double the price for not double the performance. If you want to have a blinged up reel, or want to be the guy with the hard-to-get toy, this one's for you. Again, very tough to service and their quality control has gone down markedly since about 2016.

All are lever drag reels. If you're interested in star drag, you need to have the Ocea 4000 in 4.4:1 on your radar as well. It's a monster.

Texas Tuna

Pinfish pimp
    May 18, 2020
    Rockport Texas
    Name
    Oliver
    Boat
    25' SaberCat
    I have an early series OJ 5000p that works well but I think it's time for a new reel. Looks like I will be going with a smaller Valiant or a Maxel. Thanks for your input Benny!

Reactions: benwah22
    Upvote 0