Opinions on UC rod ratings?

Discussion in 'Fishing Chit Chat' started by Shimano Penn, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    I have a couple of factory wrapped UC Elite Composite rods, an RCE 700xh (rated 40-60) and a 700xxh (rated 50-80). I fish them at 50 and 60 but was told (by the sales guy) that they can be fished at the top of their range. What do you think, 60 and 80?

2. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I would set your drag to the appropriate rating and pull on them and see for yourself. You are the one fishing it. I would say if you are a 25% guy it will be ok, if you are a 33% guy it might be a different story.

widgeon likes this.
  3. Shimano Penn

Shimano Penn Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Fond Memory
    You so smart ! :D

4. Baller

Baller Jig Chucker

Name:
    Bill
    Boat:
    American Angler
    I wish rod mfg would use drag poundage instead of line rating for rods/blanks. Makes more sense to me. How many times have you seen a rod mfg say a 15-40# rod. No way that works. But if they said 15 - 20# of drag I think that would be far more useful. Being a 33% drag rating guy, one blank would work for me that maybe too stiff for a guy that like his drags at 25% of line poundage. My guess is in reality you are fishing them at where their sweet spot is already.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  5. knot keely

knot keely Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Dan
    Boat:
    None (yet)
    The general consensus is that UC's can easily fish the top of their ratings. That being said, the advice above is spot on with regards to pulling on 'em with the drag set. I pulled on a lot of UC's at their FHS booth. I left super impressed. Time to expand the quiver.

6. unlazy4sports

unlazy4sports Newbie

Name:
    Andy
    Boat:
    none
    I fish the upper end of UC rod's ratings. All my rods are part of the US Series.

7. Derby

Derby My "Member" is Well Known.

Name:
    The Kid
    Boat:
    Aquasport 222 FFV
    To me that means a more sensitive rod that can still finesse 15lb but has the back bone to handle 40lb test.

Dont get me wrong, I get your point. Most of it is because that's how it's been done before.

I'll one up you, how about the new braid line rating? That's even more fucked up then mono ratings.