woodfish330

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 14, 2012
    San Fransisco,CA USA
    Name
    John
    Boat
    Fishead
    Personally fished that boat a number of times. Pretty good skipper and crew.... worked as hard as the rest of the SD fleet.... for fish and customers. Boats a little older.... but has a "fish raising" hull for sure. Price.... has as much to do with the boat.... as it does to the Landing. I don't believe there "reasonable " prices are due to inferior service.... and have never seen that in their operation. Worth going brother. The Oceanside location.... 30 miles north... only a few hours more if heading south.... if its going off by SCI.... closer for sure. Good luck.

Kai

Catch the big ones!
  • Mar 16, 2004
    Oxshit
    www.youtube.com
    Name
    Fish Killer
    Boat
    none.
    you get what you pay for
    Hey, Rick is a fish slayer. Remember when he ran the Seahawk out of LA Harbor?

I got my first yoyo iron YT with him at San Clemente Island. And caught 8 rockfish and bunch calicos with him on that trip.

You of all people should know, been in the game for a long time. Locational costs vary a lot.

Shimano Penn

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Dec 3, 2014
    Chula Vista
    Name
    David
    Boat
    Fond Memory
    Location, location, location...
    The SCI comment is right on but if the fish are South it's a loong ride. On the upside it has a HUGE deck, you can bring your lounge chair and play a little basketball if you like :D I normally fish it 2-3 times per year with a charter group but missed out this year because they sold out the whole season earlier than I expected.

Reactions: woodfish330

Yellowtail Dan

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
  • Apr 10, 2006
    Roseville Ca
    Name
    Dan
    Boat
    Excel, American Angler
    I grew up fishing that boat and all of the others out of Oceanside. Spent a lot of time on it at SCI on 1-3 day trips. It was basic intro fishing, nothing fancy back then when Dick was still alive. Not sure what happened since or how the boat has been maintained. If the fish are on the chew at SCI it's worth the time just don't expect anything like what you'll get on the 3 day boats out of Point Loma. It's cheaper for a reason and not all of that is bad.

If money is tight, go and catch fish. If not there are better options 30min South off the I-5

Reactions: woodfish330
    Upvote 0

ErnieG

Worst Fisherman
    Aug 4, 2011
    Vista
    www.cafishingnews.com
    Name
    Ernie Gorham
    Boat
    11' SportCat Truline
    When I was younger and operating on a shoe-string fishing budget I would hop on it occasionally. It's been a couple years now though.

Pros: It's a BIG boat, it's cheaper, free parking, and it was closer to me.

Cons: Oceanside bait is often worse than SD bait, they don't run as often so they're not quite as up to date with the recent fishing (Rick is still in a code group and is getting updates), and the run to the fishing grounds can be significantly longer.

Their counts will often be less than the SD boats. Some of that is the bait, some of that is time in the fishing zone, and some of it is the best boats in the fleet attract the best anglers.

If you time your trip right and the fish decide to bite you can definitely get your fish on the O95. If I lived in SD proper I wouldn't drive north to hop on it, but if you're on a budget, live closer, and find a light load that WILL RUN I'd consider it.

Upvote 0

Phil mckracken

Almost A Member
  • Jun 4, 2020
    SoCal
    Name
    Steveooo
    Boat
    None
    I’ve fished it a few times and it is what it is. I’ve caught some really good size tuna on that boat. Both yellowfin and bluefin and they work as hard as anyone else trying to get us on the fish.
    The coolest thing, I think, is when you’re on a 1.5 and at Clemente , Rick will fish well into a sundowner and later because he can pull into the harbor whenever he wants and it a shorter trip to OS.
    I’ve gotten off that boat at 3am and driven home before wife even woke up. So there’s that.
    Try it out. Jive them a shot

Upvote 0

dockrat88

no fish pulling against me shall prosper
  • Jul 16, 2008
    culver city
    Name
    tony
    Boat
    whatever floats
    Fished it a few times, no complaints about the operation at all. Not the most luxurious boat or meals but if you’re there to kill some fish you’ll be ok

Upvote 0

thrasher949

Nov 18, 2010
    San Clemente, CA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    Parker 23
    Fished this boat a number of times, HUGE boat, staterooms ice old AC. Ricks a pretty good captain. Its only cheap because they are located in Oceanside. The customers are usually drunk marines holding a spinning reel the wrong way or old salty dudes from Oside which keeps a shortage on fish pics.

Personally I think its a sleeper boat if you like to fish without crowds, fished it with 18-22 guys plenty of times. Doug in the galley wasnt half bad either.

Upvote 0

surfgoose

active geezer
  • Jul 29, 2010
    Long Beach, CA, USA
    Name
    Gary
    Boat
    whichever has the longest bunk
    I've fished it four times, all 1.5 trips during summer tuna runs. I caught fish on every trip. At the end of the first trip I was missing three tuna from my bag when the crew filled the fish. On subsequent trips I watched my bag like a hawk, but had lures cut off of my extra rigged rods in the racks twice. The last trip I was so wary, felt like a cat in a room full of rocking chairs, that I really didn't enjoy the trip.

The captain and crew and cook were great. I thought that the trips were a good value as a fishing opportunity. But just like there are a couple of landings where car break-ins are more frequent, there are a couple of boats that for some reason seem to attract those types who consider the people around them to be targets of opportunity. And I don't think that the crew can do much, if anything.

Upvote 0

invictus

AVD
    May 26, 2006
    Orange County
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Tiara 2000 Cuddy
    2001 I did a May 1.5 day and caught my first Albacore, 5 actually. $115 with meals included.

I liked the boat and crew. That was a while ago.😂

Upvote 0

Depresfish

Electric Fly Hunter
  • Apr 16, 2018
    San Clemente
    Name
    Dylan
    Boat
    none
    I just fished this boat for the first time less than two weeks ago on their first trip of the season.

I enjoyed it, and would fish it again! The zone wasn't suuper far south.. I believe we went ~105 miles south from Oceanside and met with the fleet between Ensenada and Colonet. We were on the tunafish. couple boils. fish under the boat. just an off day, no biters on our boat and the high boat caught 3 with majority turning in a blank.

Lead deckhand was fishy. worked hard spotting paddies and we had lots of stops. I liked Capt too.

Only complaint is we got in pretty late on Sunday morning. But it happens- I thought the value was there.

Upvote 0

Shane R

• Jul 30, 2020
    Yucca Valley
    Name
    Shane Reil
    Boat
    Next year hopefully
    I tried to get on the 095 a couple times last year. Unfortunately they never got enough people to have the trip run . Then end up scrambling to find a boat that's not full. Will give it a shot when fishing picks up.

Upvote 0