Opinions on Garmin GT51M-TM ( transom mount ) ?

Discussion in 'Parker Boats - The Tradition Continues' started by johnsm15, Jan 11, 2019.

1. johnsm15

johnsm15 Couch Angler

Name:
    Fordly
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 / PV II
    Anyone have this unit? Do you like it? I want side view. I already have a Garmin 7610 SXV. Want to up grade transducers.

Thanks,

Fordly

2. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Fish Whisperer

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    I have a 7610xsv with the first generation GT51 Thru-Hull ducer. Should be the same quality as the transom mount model. I think the GT51 is more than sufficient for our local waters. You can spend a ton of cash for better quality transducers but this is heaps better than the B744 that I had prior. I only use the sidevu and downview looking for bait. Other than that, I don't mess with it. Maybe if I had a second screen I would have it on but I rather focus on fishing and chatting instead of staring at the my electronics.

Image from Catalina Island fishing for WSB. Those marks were a mix of either Calicos, Sheepheads or Sargo.
    Garmin GT51 Sonar.jpg

Fish caught from the screen shot above except the cods.
    2017 4 16 Catalina Island.JPG

Looking for mackerals. You can see the bait on the port side with the sidevu.

Down and Side View .jpg
    This image was taken in about 1200 feet depth with depth reading set at 300 feet. I didn't take a image with the side view but I'm sure it will capture an image of the bait to 150 feet. I think about 150' is the max depth for the sidevu then it just gets blurry.

Tunas on red crabs.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Bottom Line and tmitch760 like this.
  3. johnsm15

johnsm15 Couch Angler

Name:
    Fordly
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 / PV II
    Al,

Thanks for the reply and great detailed info. I appreciate it. The thru hull is what I prefer, but that faring blocks seems like such low quality plastic. Maybe I'm wrong.

Fordly.

4. SeaHawk IV

SeaHawk IV Fish Whisperer

Name:
    Al
    Boat:
    I didn't use the flaring block since I had a flat spot. Not sure if you have that option. 20160502_123708.jpg

There was a flaring block before with a B744. I was lucky that it didn't get in the way of the trailer but I think it made the boat track a bit oddly.

5. johnsm15

johnsm15 Couch Angler

Name:
    Fordly
    Boat:
    Parker 2320 / PV II
    I'll see if I have the room. As you know, Parker doesn't leave you too much room in the bilge area.