Opinions on fuel surcharge or not

Discussion in 'San Diego Long Range fishing Reports' started by shajcl, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Fishybuzz

Fishybuzz fishybuzz

Name:
    David Tang
    Boat:
    Intrepid
    Take them with a large sprinkle of salt. Some of us are more full of it than others. Some of the "expert" opinions being offered here are unfounded in fact.[/quote]

Are your "expert opinions" included....lol

did I say "JUST" I think that is your commentary not mine.

2. dh515

dh515 I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    Sportboats
    Steve, I agree with your reasons for choosing a boat. I also hate being nickel and dimed like we were on that October 3 day we fished together. "Oh, you want to eat on this trip?" Another $50. "Oh, you want to drink coffee?" Another $15. I was waiting to be charged per piece for bait. Screw that crap, just tell me what it's going to cost all inclusive.

I do agree with Fishy that the boats will charge what the market will bear and with other posters that any kind of rebate on fuel is not forthcoming. Personally, I don't feel like fuel prices will remain at the current low price long enough for this to be an issue.

3. big dog62

big dog62 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    spanky
    Boat:
    sac-yac
    Yes, you are right... They'll be back to charging a fuel surcharge in no time.

Juanba likes this.
  4. wils

wils lazy-ass well known "member"

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    still no facts forthcoming in regards to what the boats are actually paying for the fuel..... just the same conspiratorial complaints. :puff:

5. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    I'm sure the landings get some kind of volume discount for the large amounts of diesel they consume/purchase. But all we see or speculate on are retail pump prices! WTF!!! If you're gonna bend me over allow me at least to lube it up a bit!!!
    Most people unfortunately continue to pay these inflated fares and fees(myself included).
    It pains me to admit it but I for one will fish less in Diego this comin year. No longer a choice....I just cant afford it any longer.

6. shajcl

shajcl Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    JL
    Boat:
    n/a
    I don't consider this thread is a conspiratorial complaint. I am aware the LR fleet reads this board. The better question is why don't any of the LR boats come on here and enlighten everyone about fuel cost, and how they factor fuel cost into the overall cost of the trip. Again, this thread is NOT about how much LR boats should charge for trips.

If you don't care about how much you pay for LR trips, then fine, but most of us like to know what we are paying for.

Juanba likes this.
  7. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    I feel like I know more about the business structure of long range sportfishing than I do about my own company I work for. I'm not sure why anyone here thinks they deserve to know if the boat they fish on is making money by the bagfull or losing it slowly hoping next year will cover them. They set their prices (apparently too low) and you paid them. They will set thier prices again and you can choose to pay or not. It's like complaining about sales tax after you bought a $0.99 burger. Im pretty sure when they saw the boats were still full after charging fuel surcharges they realized they were undercharging the whole time.

Edit: Autocorrect spelling errors I notcied after posting.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  8. wils

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    The LR boats are NOT required to come on BD and be grilled by internet busy-bodies about how they run THEIR businesses .

When I go on a LR trip again, I will know exactly what I will be paying for - a fishing vacation....knowing full well when I sign up how much the total trip is going to cost. If YOU have a problem with how much YOU are paying for your trip, CALL THE BOATS' OFFICE. since you are now proclaiming to be speaking for "most of us", put "most of us" on speed dial and let "most of us" know what your results are in requesting a rebate for fuel. :D

PS: a couple years back, "most of us" were demanding all-inclusive pricing to INCLUDE fuel surcharges so as to eliminate fuel surcharges. See how THAT worked out for ALL of us?

9. sk8ingtuna

sk8ingtuna Member

Name:
    Richard
    Boat:
    not yet
    2015 just started, and we already have checked off the "Fuel Surcharge" thread! Pop in a thread on permit fees, and a couple on yacht bashing, and we can move on I suppose :D

10. Workplacesafety

Workplacesafety Reducing workplace injuries and illnesses

Name:
    Jeff Bruner
    Boat:
    14ft Valco, San Diego Long Range Boats

Also want to make sure we get in a tipping thread asap.

11. Steve K

Steve K Hey, I'm gettin' bit...

Name:
    Steve
    Boat:
    18' Bayrunner, but I like the American Angler and the Red Rooster III
    The "Coffee Surcharge"

Yes, I found that a little goofy. Switching up the program from being the designated open party overnight/day and a half trip boat, to a multi-day all inclusive trip, something fell between the cracks. But if that was all, no big deal. The other goofy thing I saw in some of the pricing was a lower ticket price, and then, here we go: permit, visa, and then, WTF, a mandatory food plan. Well if it's mandatory, just make it part of the fare!

Regarding the High Seas Fuel Dock, Google that, owned by Eric Poole. Where all the boats fuel up. It amazed me that the boats were able to save money years ago by running to Ensenada, but they did. Pemex rather quickly closed that window by raising the price.

If pricing is set in a bid process and one bidder is selected, it's a done deal. If your contractor bids your kitchen remodel at $75,000 that's what you plan on paying. If the cost of materials goes up, if tools break and need to be repaired or replaced, or his truck gets towed to the shop with a blown tranny, he pays it, eats it and there it is.

If the cost of materials goes down, gas for his truck takes a price dip, and everything goes well, you still pay the bid price of $75,000 and he makes a little more profit and hopefully tucks it away for when he needs it.

Same thing with a Long Range trip. Pick a trip, you're in for $5,000 to $ 7,000. Plan on it. If you have established a relationship with an operation as I have and have been treated as well as I have, there's a trust and mutual respect that develops. I'm sure Jeff and Min feel that way as well.

shajcl and vegasandre like this.
  12. $norkle

$norkle Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    Bruce
    Boat:
    In my dreams!
    Yes, they probably read posts on BD, and that's exactly why they stay well away from ever entering these discussions. The nature of BD and other similar sites is that whatever side someone takes on an issue, there's gonna be angry replies just itching for a fight. Nobody needs that, especially the LR boats, captains and crew members. Silence is obviously the path of choice and I think they become the grownups in the room for choosing that path. Why throw rocks at a hornet's nest?

mikelravy and shajcl like this.
  13. Ffiisshh0

Ffiisshh0 Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    Boat:
    24 Hydra Sports CC
    just like the govt once they suck on that teat, they aint giving it up !!

fishfish, Blackfish and swordswizzle like this.
  14. reellady

reellady I'd rather be catching TUNA

Name:
    donna
    Boat:
    reel lady
    OK, then why do other boats charge 3.5% if you use a credit card, but the Intrepid doesn't. Now explain that one.

15. Blackfish

Blackfish Fishing, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

Name:
    Rotus
    Boat:
    50' Hatteras and 24' cuddy
    $3.59 nine days ago.

16. fishfish

fishfish I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Gerry
    Boat:
    Sold and Gone!!!
    Cuz the Credit Card fee is a racket! Thats why. They are not being charged 3.5% for that transaction by the credit card company! No way in fuckin hell!

17. wils

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    are you sure about that?

18. wils

Name:
    bill
    Boat:
    I hate boats
    maybe they already have the 3.5% added in and those paying cash are getting screwed?
    or maybe they add in 2% overall and those paying cash aren't getting screwed as bad as above?

It ALL boils down when figuring out YOUR/MY/MOST OF OUR boat of choice - the final decision is more than just the total cost.....for me anyway. :)

fishfish likes this.
  19. harddrive

harddrive Wish I Was Fishing!

Name:
    Min
    Boat:
    None
    fishfish likes this.
  20. vikebrian84

vikebrian84 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Boat:
    nope
    Ok smarty pants

"Rate and acceptance are subject to underwriting. Call Elavon at 1-800-551-0951 for all terms and conditions.

This promotional offer is valid for a limited time. Pricing and terms reflected in this promotional offer are subject to the terms of the application and agreement for processing services that you must complete to accept this offer. Additional fees may apply in certain circumstances, as reflected in the terms and conditions of the application."

fishfish likes this.