Binks Deatherage

Ion even know
May 22, 2020
la jolla
Name
Binks
Boat
Todo o Nada
Hello bd, I’ve noticed that the daiwa saltiga star drags have been showing more often when using surface iron and I’m interested to see how you guys like them for surface iron fishing

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I wanted a 35, but went with a used 40. Great reel. 90# BFT no issues. Smooth. Looked at trinidads and was blown away by the size/price ratio

Reactions: Paulo Grandez
Upvote 0

jigstickjeff

I Should Upgrade My Account
  • Aug 5, 2009
    San Gabriel CA
    Name
    Jeff
    Boat
    BZ T-10
    The Saltiga 40 is a great surface iron reel. Up there with the Torque 30 for best in class.
    The Saltiga 40 is awesome for surface irons, it gives more capacity than the 30Ts with same great performance.

Upvote 0

Paulo Grandez

Sep 28, 2014
    Name
    Paulo
    Boat
    N/A
    I would say the Saltiga 40 is closer in size to the Trinidad 30 and that's solely based upon line capacity. The 35 is basically the narrow version of the 30

Upvote 0

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kenny
    Boat
    Whoever is chasing the yellows
    (I’m not posting this because I have Saltigas for sale)

I’m a diehard Daiwa reels guy and a pretty big fan of the Saltiga line. I’ve used the 20, 35, and 40 on my 7x chucking iron and the most comfortable to me was the 20 and 35. 40 felt a bit too assheavy, and the 20 might be a little shy on capacity if you have a heavy mono loaded up and you really launch ‘em.

Even with those options, I actually prefer my 400HD. It’s more than likely my bass fishing background, and lack of real time on the salt, but to each his own...

Last edited:
    Reactions: Texas Tuna
    Upvote 0

Goldenglory18

Oct 1, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Kenny
    Boat
    Whoever is chasing the yellows
    They really are some of the most beautifully machined assemblies that I’ve ever seen, and I’ve literally built space ships. 😂

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    So would everyone say I should pair my 10’ WTS SB Ulua with a 2020 Saltiga 35HA or 40HA?
    Yep. I like the capacity of the 40s, it’s actually a bit more narrow then the Torque 30 and Trinidad 30. Holds a buttload of line and the spool won’t bend out against the frame fishing 40-50lb on it. All the Machined reels you don’t have to worry about the frame bending but the spool.

Upvote 0

Bob Sands

BOB SANDS TACKLE
    Advertiser
    Feb 26, 2011
    Van Nuys, Ca USA
    bobsandsfishingtackle.com
    Name
    Jamie
    Boat
    #1 Tackle Shop
    Yo Binks,

Happy New Year. First off, to answer your question, the Daiwa Saltiga Star drags are wonderful if they fit your hand and casting technique.. If I was choosing a Daiwa Saltiga I would go with the 30 or even 20 for my hand size.. Especially if Yellowtail or up to mid sized tuna are the targeted species.

As you can see there are and will be lots of opinions on which other reels for you to purchase for throwing surface iron and other lighter top water lures. In my opinion, all the reels mentioned are great but the size will depend on how the reel fits and feels in your hand while mounted on the jig rod of your choice.. Depending on hand size, how your thumb addresses the spool and how the webbing of your casting thumb catches on the gear shift lever of your star drag or lever drag, you really will want to size the reel to your comfort level and size of hand/Thumb/fingers...

Another item to get a feel for on these reels is the side plate design.. For example some manufacturers, such as Avet, use a more straight sided side plate design while others, like Shimano have a slightly more rounded and machined sort of feel to them. As your thumb or fingers go around and over the side plates either on your casting hand or for those using the rail their non cranking hand as they cup or cradle the side of the reel, there will be a tactile feel that goes along with each design.. The same will apply to the feel of the side plate as you hold the reel with your off hand as you wind in line with your cranking hand. Again, there is no right or wrong way to create the design of side plates on the reel, rather this is another factor each individual angler might want to consider when purchasing these more expensive reels.

For those of us who throw almost exclusively artificial lures, having a comfortable, light weight yet somewhat species/size appropriate rig, that can be thrown hour after hour or even day after day, is more important than most any other issue.. For me smaller conventional reels and Spinners are perfect for the application.. For folks with larger hands and longer thumbs then the taller reels will work great.. No one size fits all situations here..

For me, the low profile bait casters have been a blessing for my hand size.. I love my Shimano Tranx 500's for the applications noted if the choice is a conventional reel. We and most tackle shops who understand these reels have a hard time keeping them in stock regardless what you might read. My thumb length is short considering I wear a large size glove, which makes casting a 35 or 40 size reel a PITA.. The webbing below my short thumb can often get caught on the drag lever of a size 35 or 40 star or lever drag, accidentally engaging the action. To prevent that issue I have to almost hyper extend my thumb while casting on the taller reels. With the Tranx 500 or smaller diameter standard conventional reels that problem is eliminated.. AND line capacity has never been an issue on this reel at least for me. I have been using multiple Tranx 500 reels ever since they came out even on larger fish.

Since I was a kid, I have used smaller diameter reels for throwing top water junk or most all fishing situations including fishing giants. If your fish fighting technique is correct and efficient, you will have no problem reeling in Yellowtail, mid grade Tuna or other top feeders using 30 - 50 pound string.. Heck, when the big Bluefin first showed several years ago a ton of folks, including deck hands who might not have told you what reel they were throwing, were throwing the Tranx 500 in order to get distance on their poppers. The fight, well that was a bit of a different story as those fish got above the 150 or 200 pound mark, but that is what it took for even seasoned veterans to get reasonable distance on their cast, using poppers, especially on the run and gun, cast into the wind, methods we use to chase the schools and foamers.

You are welcome to PM me if you have other questions about reels on the market at this time that might meet your needs.

Have a great season and best of luck on your choices..

Respectfully,

Jamie

Last edited:
    Upvote 0