opinions, buy a PCH okuma rod or build Rainshadow blank RCJB84XH

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Building Forum' started by steelfish, May 15, 2018.

1. steelfish

steelfish the BBB, Baja Bass Boy..

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    I have the funds to get me a nice rod to paired it with the mak15 Sea
    right now Im using a Phenix Axis 801H 20-60 with the reel and I liked the pair so far but the rod is kind of "thick", from the foregrip to the tip and I would like something with more bend on the tip and I really not fan of 8ft rods for Panga use, so a 7ft would be better for me.
    so, I have my eye put on a PCH rod since some time, the flagship rod from Okuma, so, pretty sure it would be perfect marriage to my mak15 SEa, both rod & reel have gunsmoke aluminum tones.
    but the rod building devil in my left ear is telling me to build me one from the scratch instead of going factory rod, that little demon is kind of winning the battle vs the one that tells me you are just two clicks away from a new tech rod.
    soooo, Im insterested on the PCH 701HX versus Rainshadow RCJB84XH
    PCH is 24 ton graphite with tip reinforced 3x (something like that)
    rainshadow is composite (rx6 graphite / glass tip)

so, most of you know the kind of fishing I do, light trolling, deep jigging, bait fishing (not much livebait), and irons for YT, this rod mostly will be used for light trolling, heavy irons and ocasional live bait.

I know there are tons of better blank out there (like blackholes, UC, seeker, etc) but no much funds for get me one of those, limit for my build with accesories is the same cost of the factory PCH rod which is $200, if I can build it for less the better.

which option do you recommend, go for the new tech on the PCH rods or build one on the rainshadow blank?

2. Sagedaddy

Sagedaddy Member

Name:
    Sagedaddy
    Boat:
    Riviera fish on
    Can’t say I have any experience with that exact rainshadow blank but I can say that I am impressed with the quality vs the cost. Just finished up a rclb800xl. Paid less than $60 for the blank and the construction seems solid and clean. Blank was straight and the seam between the graphite and glass is perfect.

3. cmepen

cmepen I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Einar Lohner
    Boat:
    Cabo Marine 226
    RCJB84XH (solid 50) or even the XXH (solid 60). This summer Batson is coming out with 3X and 4X blanks. Awesome blanks! Building it yourself as aposed to factory, no question build it yourself. Remember:
    Friends don't let friends fish factory!

timmyd3853, tgorman and jg125 like this.
  4. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    X2

cmepen likes this.
  5. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    so, buddy, I think I was set before asking it but needed that push to convince myself, what do you think It will be better choice for a okuma Mak15 a XH or XXH?

normal fish are like this
    [​IMG]

if you have ever catch cabrillas this size, your might know they fight like demons, they pull really strong a reel with strong drag is needed, I like the phenix axis 801H for those fish but with smaller fish the rod feels too stiff.

6. SouthBayKiller

SouthBayKiller I've posted enough I should edit this section

Name:
    Robert
    Boat:
    none
    Hi Alex I have built both the 84xh and 84xxh for myself and agree with Einar.

The 84xh could be pushed to 60lb work, but really shines in that 40-50lb range for me. I've caught several tuna to 50lbs and dozens of yellowtail to 25lbs with it and never felt under-gunned, the yellowtail were mostly caught on yoyo jigs fishing shallow pinnacles with 50lb and heavy drag on a fathom 25nld . I've only caught one fish on my 84xxh and it happened to be my biggest tuna, bluefin tuna that was estimated to be 170lbs. It was pushed hard, but never felt maxed, I didn't have a drag scale, but the drag was basically set to max out a fathom 40nld2. Not sure if you have pulled on Calstars, but the 84xh would be similar to a 700xh. I don't think Calstar makes a 700xxh. I know that doesn't specifically answer your question, but hopefully gives you insight into what the rods feel like and are capable of.

7. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thats enough info to get an idea for my fishing needs, I would like a go-to rod not a specialized for big mama groupers, sounds like the XXH would be used less time than a XH, checking the tip size on the XH looks like a small size tip so, without seeing in person I think they would be sentitive.

a fathom 25LD2 have the same drag than 40LD2, I used to have the 40LD2 and man those reel really pull hard, I sold it to get the Mak15.
    I might get a FT25LD2 later, tho. they are nice reels and light as feathers.

8. skrilla

skrilla allirks

Name:
    Len
    Boat:
    plastic fantastic
    Don't get the Rainshadow. They multiply like rabbits. :p:

9. Day0ne

Day0ne Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    David
    Boat:
    233 Formula Shadowdancer
    Love my RCJB84XH, but then, I love my RCJB84XXH too.

10. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    ok, thanks guys Im now 100% set on building it instead of buying it.

since I have made some fishing rod restorations mostly, I still bit lost on how to order to next accesories for that blank
    butt size is 24.13mm / 0.95"

hypalon grips 0.50" or 11/16"?
    centra-lock ALPS seat 24 size or 23 or 22?
    winding trims, trim rings, etc wich size?

I already have the basic training for the wraping and already have a HXN guides set, so only need some help on how to order the rest of the accesories for the blank

11. FAT CAT

FAT CAT FAT CAT

Name:
    Bill Burkett
    Boat:
    22' Twin-Vee Catamaran POLE CAT
    Alex, since your going with the Rainshadow order everything from Utmost and Grant can size everything for you.

steelfish and cmepen like this.
  12. steelfish

Name:
    Alex
    Boat:
    Boatless
    thanks Bill, actually I normally order everything for my rod restorations from UTmost and Carol is the one that helps me.

I will contact them

13. Blender02

Blender02 Member

Name:
    Paul
    Boat:
    N/A

x2