Dexter Outdoors

usraptr

Aug 13, 2012
Woodland Hills, Utah
Name
Brad Merritt
Boat
Cheap Thrills
Due to medical concerns a spot has just opened on the Merritt “Bent Rods” limited load 10-Day Long Range trip on the EXCEL leaving on Nov. 1. This is a family friendly trip where teamwork, cooperation, and fun are stressed while boozing, partying, cigar smoking, smoking at the rail, and being a single minded, me first jerk are prohibited. This is your opportunity to catch wahoo at the Rocks and Ridge and possibly catch your first or personal best COW at the lower banks. This trip is usually fully booked 1-2 years in advance. Don’t miss this rare opportunity to fish with an experienced group of friendly anglers on the best fishing platform on the ocean with the best Captain and crew. If you’re interested called Jason at the EXCEL office at (619) 223-7493.

Upvote 0

usraptr

Aug 13, 2012
Woodland Hills, Utah
Name
Brad Merritt
Boat
Cheap Thrills
Is this a share the catch equally trip? so, everyone is rooting everyone on and
the 'me first' attitude is not needed?

No, we don't share the catch. You keep what you catch. What I mean by "no me first attitude", is we work as a team, paying attention to what is going on around you, over and under, we follow our bait and our fish, no cutting in line at the bait tank or rail, no running down the rail knocking people out of your way, no intentionally cutting other anglers off because you have a fish, encouraging and helping each other, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DMcD

Nov 21, 2011
Idyllwild, Ca USA
Name
Dennis McDougall
Boat
None
Maybe I've been fortunate, but I've never been on a long trip where anybody (except occasionally "that guy") acted anything like the mayhem you are describing.

DMcD

Reactions: Bill W
Upvote 0

DC61

Dec 28, 2011
Dana Point
Name
Paul L.
Boat
33’ Blackfin
McD,

You have been luckier than many of us. I have had more than one trip where the OP is trying to avoid. The worst is when a knucklehead told me that all of the firefighters who died in the Trade Centers deserved to die because they shouldn't have gone into the building in the first place.

I was completely speechless. As a 30 year firefighter I wanted to climb across the table. Fortunately the people at my table (all non firefighters) set this guy straight.

USRAPTR
Your description of the acceptable criteria is very clear. I have heard of your trip and I have heard good things about the group. I wish you success in finding the "right" fit. Someone is going to get on a trip with a bunch of good guys. Good luck!

Upvote 0

potuna

Unknown member
Jul 23, 2011
San Diego Ca. USA
Name
Pete
Boat
Royal Polaris,Shogun, Indy and somebody else's.
So you can't have a cocktail or smoke a cigar? The rest is sop to me and all the trips I've been on except for that guy.

Upvote 0

usraptr

Aug 13, 2012
Woodland Hills, Utah
Name
Brad Merritt
Boat
Cheap Thrills
So you can't have a cocktail or smoke a cigar? The rest is sop to me and all the trips I've been on except for that guy.

Nobody said anything about not enjoying a cocktail and/or beer before, during or after dinner. What I said was this is not a "boozing" or "party" trip where people get loud, stupid, annoying and/or drunk. Unfortunately I have been on my share of Long Range Trips where some passengers think of it as an excuse to "cut loose" and "party" and drink to excess now that they are away from home. I pay to much money for this trip to put up with that kind of boorish behavior. If you want to have a "boy's night out" or get drunk, do it at home, don't ruin my and the other angler's trip. Re smoking a Cigar, for one I have COPD (if you're not familiar with it google it) and I've never smoked a cigarette in my life. I worked in an male dominated environment where for the first 25 years there was no rules/regulations regarding smoking in the workplace and the vast majority of the people I worked with smoked. Now, AFTER I retire I came down with COPD after breathing their second hand smoke for 25 years which IMHO doesn't seem fair and has now greatly restricted my physical activity. Next, Cigar smoke gives me an instant Migraine headache. All I have to do is smell it and it's like somebody flipped a switch in my brain and I'm down with a pounding migraine. I don't care where you are on the boat, if you light up a cigar I will smell it. You've probably never noticed it since you smoke them, but every time the galley door opens it sucks in air from outside and that includes your cigar smoke. And when you come inside the galley your clothes reek of Cigar smoke. While the anglers on my trip probably don't get a migraine like I do, they also dislike the toxic smell of cigars and cigarette smoke for that matter. That is why a vast majority of my anglers have been fishing with me for over 10 years and some for over 20 years and why normally this trip is fully booked 1-2 years in advance. People come on my trips to fish, be friendly and enjoy each other's company, not be cliquish, enjoy a cocktail and/or beer or two, but not to party. There are plenty of other trips where people can do that. To each his own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ReelDealAngler-

Born To Fish
Jul 27, 2017
Dana Point
Name
Garry
Boat
Reel Estate
Sounds like a great trip to me and a "common sense" set of rules. I feel the same way about smoking (don't care what it is I don't want to breath it and have NO problem shutting you down if I do!) and as far a dinking goes I'm ok with it... just don't let it get out of hand to where you become loud and obnoxious or are falling down and/or spilling shit all over the place. Funny how some guys revert back to their high school days when they get on a LR trip or worse yet it becomes a big go wild guys only social event where some dudes completely forget where they are at in life! I spend good hard earned money going LR fishing to catch fish... not to party hardy or to pretend I'm on a social club cruise where one can overindulge in everything, and be totally self serving because it's tolerated.

G

Last edited:
Reactions: Olddog8
Upvote 0

gingervco1

Almost A Member
May 10, 2007
Costa Mesa-San Jose del Cabo
Name
Josh
Boat
Parker 2120
Sounds like a great trip to me and a "common sense" set of rules. I feel the same way about smoking (don't care what it is I don't want to breath it and have NO problem shutting you down if I do!) and as far a dinking goes I'm ok with it... just don't let it get out of hand to where you become loud and obnoxious or are falling down and/or spilling shit all over the place. Funny how some guys revert back to their high school days when they get on a LR trip or worse yet it becomes a big go wild guys only social event where some dudes completely forget where they are at in life! I spend good hard earned money going LR fishing to catch fish... not to party hardy or to pretend I'm on a social club cruise where one can overindulge in everything, and be totally self serving because it's tolerated.

G
Cry me a river

Upvote 0

okie man

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Oct 24, 2006
new palestine indiana
Name
kerry way
Boat
18' javalin
I'd like to see the entire fleet convert their boats too solar power. Diesel fumes really put my too sleep.lol. they are fishing boats for crying out loud. People come to have a good time. Eat , drink, fish. Smoke. I smoke, try to be courteous. But I usually get more irritated by the no ettique, can't fish ,rude I ride this boat 5 times a year guys than the smoker ,drinker guys

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 31, 2003
Visalia, CA
Name
Blaine Lake
Boat
none
You know the guy has COPD and can't take the smoke so he did something about it- set up a charter where he could avoid it. Sounds like a trip I'd like to go on. You don't like his trip don't go on it. To bad mouth a guy who has chronic lung disease that still wants to fish is ridiculous.

Upvote 0