Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
Quite sporty out there today. Dragged some hootchie/mackerel around north area 9. 150-600ft. Even pounded a pipe at 600 for the hell of it. You'd think something would pick up the mackerel but no.

I've always been intrigued at what might be down at the depths of ps because noone really seems to do it but nothing hit today

But damn I was drifting at 2kts and taking waves over the transom so not ideal conditions.

EJ Swanny

Three Generations of Uff-Dah
Nov 30, 2010
Redondo/WA
Name
Erik
Boat
"Riley-J" 2006 21' Proline Tourney
Quite sporty out there today. Dragged some hootchie/mackerel around north area 9. 150-600ft. Even pounded a pipe at 600 for the hell of it. You'd think something would pick up the mackerel but no.

I've always been intrigued at what might be down at the depths of ps because noone really seems to do it but nothing hit today

But damn I was drifting at 2kts and taking waves over the transom so not ideal conditions.
At least you got after it. Great job for the effort. Sounds like you were licking salt from you lips, it's a great taste at times, just some though. Thanks for the report.

sgwill122

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 21, 2011
Redmond/WA/USA
Name
Stephen
Boat
'Lady Karen' 28 Duckworth Offshore
Pretty cool that you tried. Not sure I would report on here if I hit a honey hole 500ft deep in A9. Maybe you would not either :)

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
I have thought about 600 ft in area 6.

But knowing that Great Whites have been seen off the Humps makes me think a little. Maybe this is why folks around here avoid 600 ft.

Almost finished with the deep droppers. 80 Pound Batson Stubbies.

DSCN6778.JPG

DSCN6779.JPG

DSCN6756.JPG

DSCN6759.JPG

Reactions: bdrlgion

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Hey Hard Charging what did the Coasties do to ground you?

Didn't have a whistle and didn't have my 8' dinghy registered... They were nice about it at least. I got it registered yesterday and I've been out all day today. No joy tho Just a bunch of sculpin.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
A whistle? That seems to be a more fitting requirement for a pfd.

I thought it was ridiculous as well. I literally asked the guy if he thought a whistle was going to get anyone's attention if they were distracted under way and he kinda shrugged and said it was a requirement, I needed one. He was really nice about it. He let me stay on the water he just said I couldn't head back out till I was legal. That's why I missed Friday.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
Reactions: bdrlgion

sharkster

Almost A Member
Aug 4, 2008
Westport wa usa
Name
Robert Anderson
Boat
17 Arima Sharkster
My inflatable vest had a whistle attached to it so when deployed which I hope never happens is there to use or make the have to have list made by c.f.. Cc should make it a requirement to have a pin on boats or attached to persons. Here again hope never have to use it. But better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

Hard Chargin'

Fischjäger
Aug 11, 2019
PNW
Name
Andre
Boat
Stabicraft 459 Fish'r
My inflatable vest had a whistle attached to it so when deployed which I hope never happens is there to use or make the have to have list made by c.f.. Cc should make it a requirement to have a pin on boats or attached to persons. Here again hope never have to use it. But better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

I believe my inflatable has a whistle as well. But in this instance the CG required me to have a whistle as a sounding device for the boat. Used to hail other vessels. A whistle seems pretty pointless if some jackass in a 34' custom aluminum boat isnt paying attention and is bearing down on you. Hopefully it's a cat and I can squeeze through the tunnel!!

Reactions: wdlfbio

Woodhunter

Jun 12, 2011
Port Angeles, WA
Name
Big John
Boat
Classic MAKO 22
Hey that is the rod you and Grant were working on the other day at Utmost. Looks good, Mine are more functional than good looking.

Two whistles in the boat, one in the flare case and one tied to the kayak vest I wear when out in the boat. Two air horns with the flares.

Captain Decent

The Bert makes ‘em Squirt
Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
@Hard Chargin' I feel your pain. I had my "voyage terminated" about 10 years ago for having one dim nav light and no throwable when I was by myself on a calm clear day.

Us dumbass civilians shouldn't be on the water anyways right?

danny warren

Almost A Member
Jun 1, 2014
Name
Danny
Boat
14ft minnow,17ft Willies driftboat
I got a written warning for not having a whistle on my 17’ drift boat. Still laughing about it.

danny warren

Almost A Member
Jun 1, 2014
Name
Danny
Boat
14ft minnow,17ft Willies driftboat
I thought I had all the important stuff extra oar,throw bag, extra life jackets and extra p toilet paper

Salmon King

I Should Upgrade My Account
Mar 29, 2013
Everett, WA, USA
Name
Tim
Boat
Salmon King 21' Custom Pilothouse
I have a canned airhorn for that purpose. I have used it to get people’s attention (usually a buddy who is fiddling with a downrigger).

I love the coasties, but you will always have some people are sticklers for rules that were well intentioned but shouldn’t be enforced.

@Captain Decent Im surprised you didn’t at least catch a bunch of ancient dogfish from the deep.

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
Only thing I've caught that deep in the sound was arrow tooth flounder. But there is a pretty good chance of hooking into a derelict vessel sunken from the aftermath of not having appropriate safety gear. Coasties like doing their job so they don't have to do their job.

Carry on.

Reactions: BugeaterInWa