Open Party or Private Charter focusing on YFT in SD?

Mar 10, 2020
San Diego
Name
John
Boat
Not Yet
Been doing a lot of reading here and thinking generally speaking September is ideal for YFT in San Diego.

Are there such things as open party trips (private or otherwise) that focus primarily on YFT? I've seen ones that are called "BFT Specials", but are there YFT Specials too? Would appreciate (boat) recommendations as I would like to get more practice with the various flyline, sinker, flatfall, and lure techniques for these specific fish.

Not looking for monster size, just normal "regular" models.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
30' seaway ( sold ) 22' privateer
Been doing a lot of reading here and thinking generally speaking September is ideal for YFT in San Diego.

Are there such things as open party trips (private or otherwise) that focus primarily on YFT? I've seen ones that are called "BFT Specials", but are there YFT Specials too? Would appreciate (boat) recommendations as I would like to get more practice with the various flyline, sinker, flatfall, and lure techniques for these specific fish.

Not looking for monster size, just normal "regular" models.

Thanks!
Hmmmmm well the last 5 overnite trips ive been on i did not catch even ONE friggin FISH , really dont think fishing is like shopping at Wallmart ( hey wheres the YFT , down isle 17 ) if you can find a boat that will guarantee that a certain size and species of fish please let me know so I can book a trip !!

• Wow
Reactions: Haly0
Upvote 0

writebrian

... and I'm 6'5"
Jan 16, 2007
Arizona
Name
Brian
Boat
Whoever is Hot that week
Your best bet is to time it like you’re doing. If they are present and biting EVERY boat will be on a yellowfin special trip! September is a good time. Water is warm and kelps are getting loaded now. When dorado show in numbers you are getting to the right point and they started this week.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2015
Vancouver
Name
Steve
Boat
Zodiac
September historically should be decent especially later in the month, October can be killer too.

I used this site to compare year by year numbers but remember to match fish # caught with angler numbers:

Definitely go for a 2.5 or a 3 day.

Reactions: SoCalBoatRider
Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
Torrance, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
none
Hmmmmm well the last 5 overnite trips ive been on i did not catch even ONE friggin FISH , really dont think fishing is like shopping at Wallmart ( hey wheres the YFT , down isle 17 ) if you can find a boat that will guarantee that a certain size and species of fish please let me know so I can book a trip !!

5 trips and no fish ?

couple tips
1. go on a 1.5 day or longer if you are gonna sleep on a boat.
2. you are probably doing a few things wrong- watch what people are doing, exchange ideas, ask for help. generally no reason for 5 trips and no fish

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
5 trips and no fish ?

couple tips
1. go on a 1.5 day or longer if you are gonna sleep on a boat.
2. you are probably doing a few things wrong- watch what people are doing, exchange ideas, ask for help. generally no reason for 5 trips and no fish
Yea your right i dont know how to fish

Upvote 0

MikeC.

Jun 22, 2019
Torrance, Ca
Name
Mike
Boat
none
Yea your right i dont know how to fish

how did the boat do in general. If others were catching fish and you were not, its something that can be fixed with some changes

the reason for the 1.5 vs overnight, you often get a couple key hrs of fishing the overnight boats dont get.

Upvote 0

frazier

Dec 25, 2012
frazierpark ca usa
Name
gordon grant
Boat
how did the boat do in general. If others were catching fish and you were not, its something that can be fixed with some changes

the reason for the 1.5 vs overnight, you often get a couple key hrs of fishing the overnight boats dont get.
No these sportboats are like my ex wife they are insulting , they piss me off , they take all my money and dont give anything in return , why in the hell would i ever want to go on a sportboat again ? The last time the capt came down off the bridge pinned on the brother to the sardine i had on my line , dropped down right next to me and wham hes got a 30# white seabass ! I could tell stories all day long about this shit ! After 5 trips and no fish im done ! No more sport boats for me ! But hey i did make over a million dollars as a commercial fisherman and paid cash for my house !

Upvote 0

azbaseball

Apr 2, 2007
la mesa ca
Name
mike de vito
Boat
20ft nitro
the cost for a private one day charter is probably the same as you going on a 2-2.5 day trip (600-700 per person) that gives you more time to find fish, travel longer to find fish and enjoy your time on the water more

Upvote 0