Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    Here in NorCal when the shutdown hit all the boats ceased operations for a short period, and when they reopened for limited loads (1/2 capacity) during the pandemic they all doubled their prices. While I didn't complain too much cause I understand business and the need to cover costs, I fear that after the reopening of the state, and boats are able to take full loads, that the prices will remain at "limited load" levels.

As we all know, it's hard for a business to drop prices once they get used to receiving a certain amount for their efforts.

I don't know how this has effected SoCal and other areas, but if anybody has any insight, please share.

Upvote 0

Lake

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    I would also like to keep paying the current rate wfor limited loads. Unfortunately it seems they’re already increasing the loads on many boats, and they have already had to increase prices to cover the rising fuel costs.

Reactions: Dbado1 and kevina
    Upvote 0

matt fe2o3

Dec 23, 2020
    San Leandro
    Name
    Matt
    Boat
    BT 101
    Fuel surcharges are not unknown, but when the limited load pricing came out it I was pretty sure Berkely and Emeryville boats (which I like - don't get me wrong) would carry it forward.

There's a pent up demand but it may well price me out of Salmon season this year - which is no biggie for the boats if they are pre-covid full anyway.

I booked a 3 day Tuna trip out of San Diego back in December for this month. Looks like the current pricing has gone up about 30%.... Lot of inflationary pressure outside fuel. New normal for now I suspect.

Edit: It's not the "price" but the value for $. A $225 plus plus plus for a one day Salmon trip makes no sense to me, esp if I'm taking the kids. Turns into a 1,000 dollar day pretty quick.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Proteus

Almost A Member
  • Jun 19, 2020
    SF
    Name
    Proteus
    Boat
    The charter with the best price.
    I agree, as a SPJ angler I love the extra space at the bow, and be around a better class of angler willing to pay these prices.

Here's the thing though, as party boat operators open up to full loads are the going to get greedy and gouge us with "limited load" prices as they take on more anglers that offset fuel & costs?

The seasons before Covid I was able book a spot during the week when less folks fish, and even search around for the boats that had the lightest loads so I could jig from the bow and usually have it all to myself. All at pre-pandemic prices too.

Reactions: pacificscout
    Upvote 0

Bchbum54

Oct 27, 2008
    City of Orange
    Name
    Bayron
    Boat
    I Wish I had 1
    Not complaining just acknowledging the OP concerns. May 2020 full day SD boats were $200 with limited loads of 22. May 2021 full day SD boats are $200 with limited loads of 35. I personally would rather pay $250 for a 22 person limited load trip. It was really nice fishing on the Grande with only 22 peps

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

Mr. DRE

• Sep 23, 2019
    West Hills, CA
    Name
    Andre
    Boat
    Private
    What goes must come back down... except in the case of costs of course. It's inevitable for the prices to go up and remain high cost of everything is going up.

Reactions: marlyn

dctalk523

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
    Dec 28, 2007
    OC
    Name
    ChoeMan
    Boat
    Never
    I will gladly pay more for less people don’t want to combat fish

Upvote 0

kevina

• Sep 10, 2006
    redondo beach
    Name
    kev
    Boat
    25' aqua sport
    They are already increasing their loads and some boats are keeping the price the same, BUT, They will still charge the same amount and keep their limited load under 2 or 3 of what the boat actually sleeps. Hence, LIMITED LOAD. It's a lot more than the took during covaid, But it's still a limited load and some boats, now call it Ultra Limited Load!!! Go figure.

Reactions: Dbado1
    Upvote 0

agarcia

Almost A Member
    May 19, 2006
    Nor*Cal
    Name
    Art Garcia
    Boat
    rowboat
    Back when gas hit $5 a gallon, the boats up here raised prices to offset the increased operating cost. When gas prices dropped, the price for a trip didn’t change. We’re getting into higher gas prices plus inflation with this new administration, I’m certain the prices are not coming down. I don’t blame the sportboats at all but with the trip, food, tackle, gas and tip it’s getting hard to justify the cost of a trip.

Reactions: matt fe2o3
    Upvote 0

dsl

• Nov 20, 2017
    California
    Name
    Larry S
    Boat
    Landlover
    I hear you but I for one don't mind paying more for less ding dongs on the boat
    Yeah, cuts down with playing toug-a-war, with someone on the otherside of the boat that let line drift to far. 👌

Upvote 0

Lake

Mar 31, 2003
    Visalia, CA
    Name
    Blaine Lake
    Boat
    none
    Just noticed one of the 4 3/4 day boats in San Diego is charging $225 and taking 40 passengers.

Upvote 0

ShadowX

Oct 10, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Name
    Alex
    Boat
    None
    I remember being on the Pursuit on Memorial Day with 75+ fisherman. I think they actually oversold the boat and had 80+ fisherman onboard that day because people were fighting for the same spots.

We went to Catalina and the big 5+ pound bonito wanted to play. Needless to say, it was a complete clusterf^&k of tangles. Now they limit the load to 35 people. The anglers today don't know the fun they are missing back in the GOOD old days.

I still remember this angler next to us. He brought on some super special bait. He had shrimp. Not just any shrimp, but cooked popcorn shrimp with a big lump of cooked dough. He didn't catch anything the whole day. I still crack up to this day. Here we have live bait and he is using popcorn shrimp. The fish was probably thinking "WTF is that?"

Upvote 0

AWilliams

May 18, 2009
    Ramona, Ca.
    Name
    Alin Williams
    Boat
    none
    Just noticed one of the 4 3/4 day boats in San Diego is charging $225 and taking 40 passengers.
    The Grande was charging $240 last week for full day....back down to $225. Probably got alot of shit for that. Curious if anyone else saw it on the H&M website.

Upvote 0

amalfavon

Aug 24, 2006
    norwalk ca
    Name
    albert
    Boat
    none
    well, i went out on the enterprise on 6-12. $100 for a 3/4 day limited to 40 on an 85ft boat. there's plenty of room with just 40 people on there. i would do it again if they would leave it like that.
    a long time ago i fished the victory with 63.. that's a no no!!

Upvote 0
    May 8, 2020
    Point Loma
    Name
    Troy
    Boat
    Fun Ones
    All I can think about is all the deckhands who want their average tips back. They ate shyt last year. These are cattle boats, the crew still makes the majority of its money on the table. Cutting table*

Upvote 0

bob311

• Dec 7, 2018
    huntington beach
    Name
    bob
    Boat
    23' sanger alleycat
    Grande is still priced at 240 for this Saturday and sold out. It sucks, but it is what it is. My friends and I who used to go out every weekend simply cant afford 1200-1500 a month to fish. But its a supply and demand world so until those boats stop selling out they would be fools to lower their price. I just hope the landings realize they are out pricing the regular fisherman who also support their tackle shops.

Upvote 0