Open Letter to San Diego Fishing Charters...

BajaGringo

Say what???
Jan 11, 2008
San Quintin, Baja Mexico
www.facebook.com
Name
Ron
Boat
Dos Amigos
Well, here is an idea that hasn't got any interest at all, but I really feel could possibly remedy the situation. Focus all of your efforts towards ecology! That is, find and alien yourselves with the most influential, powerful and outspoken Mexican "Save the Planet/Wildlife" organization in Mexico City and jointly apply for a grant to establish offshore reefs for sea life preservation. Simply, the program would be to purchase all the of the junk yard cars, trucks and buses in the San Quintin valley (remove environmental hazards such as the oil, transmission fluids, etc.) and haul them out on a barge to the seiner's favorite spots and strategically position and create a bunch of reefs. If I were a seiner and consistently kept netting Volkswagens, I would move on. Done deal!
We are talking with SEMARNAT / SAGARPA about the idea of creating some offshore reefs out here in our 100 square km zone where we hold several permits, including the entire San Martin island where we also hold the federal concession. I personally like your idea but they have a very short list of approved materials right now and concrete seems to be their favorite. Definitely works but the weight:volume factor adds some serious logistical hurdles that end up making it quite an expensive venture. We are looking at some of the lighter materials they have used elsewhere successfully and will be submitting those ideas to see how they respond...

BajaGringo

Say what???
Jan 11, 2008
San Quintin, Baja Mexico
www.facebook.com
Name
Ron
Boat
Dos Amigos
I'm not sure where you get "our area" from
OUR AREA; Pronunciation: är er-ē-ə / ˈau̇(-ə)r ā-rē-ə
Term used relative to the fishing and underwater topography that is unique to San Quintin

Local, close to shore high spots, relatively small in size that are crucial, key components to the economy of a small coastal community and whose fishermen basically live day to day, depending on the catch from those key high spots to put food on the table for their families...

I think that most reasonable people would agree that such a description would qualify for the local fishermen from San Quintin to be able to call these spots "our area". I would also like to believe that most reasonable people would understand that these same local fishermen deserve respect and at the very minimum an equal shot to the action on those areas they depend on to live day to day with their very limited, local range of access.

An out of area sport boat anchoring down on these small high spots locks everybody else out of the action. Telling the locals they can "fish down from your chum line" not only displays arrogance but an ignorance to Mexican fishing law. It is illegal to "chum" in Mexican coastal waters. You might want to get updated to the current local regs.

The fact that some San Diego sport boats with long range capability decide to ignore what most reasonable people are able to see clearly, is what will ultimately bring the exclusion zone designation to San Quintin.

Probably the entire Baja peninsula at some point down the road if this continues to happen...

Last edited:

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Local, close to shore high spots, relatively small in size that are crucial, key components to the economy of a small coastal community and whose fishermen basically live day to day, depending on the catch from those key high spots to put food on the table for their families...

I think that most reasonable people would agree that such a description would qualify for the local fishermen to be able to call those spots "our area". I would also like to believe that most reasonable people would understand that these same local fishermen deserve respect and at the very minimum an equal shot to those areas they depend on to live day to day with their very limited, local range of access.

An out of area sport boat anchoring down on these small high spots locks everybody else out of the action. Telling the locals they can "fish down from your chum line" only displays arrogance and an ignorance to Mexican fishing law. It is illegal to "chum" in Mexican coastal waters. You might want to get updated to the current local regs.

The fact that some San Diego sport boats with long range capability decide to ignore what most reasonable people are able to see clearly, is what will ultimately bring the exclusion zone designation to San Quintin.

Probably the entire Baja peninsula at some point down the road if this continues to happen...
I hope they Hire, the Same People that are supposed to Protect and enforce
our Boarders, to Enforce your Area

BajaGringo

Say what???
Jan 11, 2008
San Quintin, Baja Mexico
www.facebook.com
Name
Ron
Boat
Dos Amigos
no conpren day Amigo , or no savie natha
Like they always tell us north of the border, ignorance of the law is never a valid excuse. If you are going to fish in Mexican waters it is incumbent on you to familiarize yourself on the local regs BEFORE heading south...

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Like they always tell us north of the border, ignorance of the law is never a valid excuse. If you are going to fish in Mexican waters it is incumbent on you to familiarize yourself on the local regs BEFORE heading south...
what Law, that's Funny, I taught illegal was one
Ron I Have Close friend and Family that fish with Juan and Kelly
Weeks at a time, every Spring and Fall,
and they say its so nice , and I should join them and go Down
their, the Big problem I have is I Fish the Sport Boat, a lot
up Here and I Know a lot of the Captains, and I have never
heard one of Say, that this our area, and Cut any Bubby's Line or anchor
Rope, so as of Right now, I will Spend My Hard earned $$$ on
the Sport Boats up this Way, have a Great Day

Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
Hola Gerry -- I respect your experience and knowledge. But Ron made an intirely valid point. You responded to it with an off-topic, poorly scripted and rationalized response. If you're going to state your case, make it clear. The one point I did understand is that sport boat captains can come and go and do as they please.

Like your friends and family, I would suggest fishing with local pangueros. Not only is it an amazingly fun and fruitful experience, it will show you both sides of the coin, and better inform your arguments.

I think what bothers me most, and what prompted me to respond, is your first line. "what Law, that's Funny". Beyond my penchant for grammar is my desperation for humanity. Your statement suggests everything horrible about the U.S.. Yes, laws and customs differ border-by-border. But Mexico is not a playground for gringos. We can no longer hide under the umbrella of "my captain took me there, and said it was OK."

I wish you well. Sorry, sometimes I'm a dick. But Mexico, their people, culture, and resources deserve our respect.

tamaoj

What?
Sep 10, 2010
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Name
Oscar
Boat
Rather Hitch A Ride
Probably a good idea that some people stick with the Sporties up north. They're giving most modest respectful worldly and otherwise cultured Americans a bad name everywhere around the world. BTW I, "compren day amigo". It's this attitude that always screws things up for everyone else. This Is why we can't have nice things!!! Hahaha! Like local fishing spots along the Baja coast.

Sorry to get off topic. Let me know how the world looks from Garden Grove your entire life. Get out get to know different people from different cultures. You might teach someone something OR learn something new yourself.

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Hola Gerry -- I respect your experience and knowledge. But Ron made an intirely valid point. You responded to it with an off-topic, poorly scripted and rationalized response. If you're going to state your case, make it clear. The one point I did understand is that sport boat captains can come and go and do as they please.

Like your friends and family, I would suggest fishing with local pangueros. Not only is it an amazingly fun and fruitful experience, it will show you both sides of the coin, and better inform your arguments.

I think what bothers me most, and what prompted me to respond, is your first line. "what Law, that's Funny". Beyond my penchant for grammar is my desperation for humanity. Your statement suggests everything horrible about the U.S.. Yes, laws and customs differ border-by-border. But Mexico is not a playground for gringos. We can no longer hide under the umbrella of "my captain took me there, and said it was OK."

I wish you well. Sorry, sometimes I'm a dick. But Mexico, their people, culture, and resources deserve our respect.
back in the Day I used too Fish on those Tony Reyes Trips
out of San Felipe, and at the end of those Trips, it Felt like
I was Fishing with Brothers From another Mother
and pretty Much every Year would Bring Something
Extra Jigs Line and such, For those Guys,

BajaGringo

Say what???
Jan 11, 2008
San Quintin, Baja Mexico
www.facebook.com
Name
Ron
Boat
Dos Amigos
...Let me know how the world looks from Garden Grove your entire life. Get out get to know different people from different cultures. You might teach someone something OR learn something new yourself.
Small world - I'm from Garden Grove myself and still have a lot of very good friends back there...

Reactions: Leslie. Christensen

jer dog

Fishing is life
Jun 22, 2006
Garden Grove
Name
Gerry
Boat
One that floats
Probably a good idea that some people stick with the Sporties up north. They're giving most modest respectful worldly and otherwise cultured Americans a bad name everywhere around the world. BTW I, "compren day amigo". It's this attitude that always screws things up for everyone else. This Is why we can't have nice things!!! Hahaha! Like local fishing spots along the Baja coast.

Sorry to get off topic. Let me know how the world looks from Garden Grove your entire life. Get out get to know different people from different cultures. You might teach someone something OR learn something new yourself.
just to Answer your Question, Oscar Life is Good in Garden Grove
since Living here, No one has ever told me Ware I could fish or Not :cheers:

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
back in the Day I used too Fish on those Tony Reyes Trips
out of San Felipe, and at the end of those Trips, it Felt like
I was Fishing with Brothers From another Mother
and pretty Much every Year would Bring Something
Extra Jigs Line and such, For those Guys,
Odelay! Right?! Sounds like fond memories, maybe it's time to make some new ones! Saludos.

Reactions: BajaGringo

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Really?if they just enforce that law that will pretty much do it ..no need for closures...
All visitors get massive breaks in Baha, when you get fmm your saying you will respect an obey Mexican laws and customs. Baha beer has less alcohol than California beer, I believe you you can't sell till 10;00am? Any time these boats come within basically the city or mexican zone they could be cited impounded arrested, What a sight to see 1local cop 1ponga making a long range boat set for a day unloading there illegal beer 1 sixpack at a time. Caught chumming dump there tanks, Every captain that posts on hear about giving beer and bait in exchange for fishing time, illegal commerce. All this might sound stupid but boats crossing the boarder into US gets no breaks. If SD guys would just use there electronics and respect they wouldn't even be seen , turn on radar if these a reas have baots on them, troll on by, don't anchor, don't drift, troll. If ya hook up thow out some lines, troll fish come in keep moving. A lot of this problem got worse with recession and high fuel prices. Business people survived, pure fishermen lost boats. No fuel for a day and night instead of looking for fish pays bills.The root of the problem is all these people are tied together, Tuna pens, net boats, bait boats, suppliers for pet food, suppliers to Asia, Wow sorry but I hate these guys complaints, about having to rape these little areas . Why don't they get rid of there tunu pens or feed magic corn,it does wonders for beef..

robertebaker

BOILERMAKER.
Aug 11, 2008
Vista, CA, USA
Name
Bob Baker
Boat
No
so coming down to san Quintin and rapeing our area is a relyable option,
howe nice.
Some folks just refuse to understand what "Our area" means. That, unfortunately is why a 40 mile zone around San Quintin for sporties will be necessary. Any chance seiners could also be forbidden in this area?