Lorenzo

Mar 15, 2006
San Quintin
Name
Lorenzo
Boat
Proline 24 / Bayliner 20
My wish is that all the local San Quintin pangeros, motels, restaurants, etc. etc. ( myself included) could direct some of this anger, frustration and concern for the future of our fishing/tourism towards prohibiting the purse seiners from totally destroying the Entire area. On a single day I have counted up to 9 boats out here, within 2 miles from shore, netting our bait (and everything else) to feed the Tuna farms in Ensenada. I heard the other day that a boat was actually out at one of our high spots we call "The 6" netting the perimeter for yellows! HEADS UP AMIGOS - this "IS" what can and will destroy our fishery OVERNIGHT!

Upvote 0

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
ONE MONSTER AT A TIME,PLEASE.
Well if you look at a sport boat next to a fleet of seiners, it no longer looks like much of a monster, does it? Should you be focusing on the guys killing 100 tuna or 100,000 tuna? By all accounts, the sport boats really aren't that bad. They might frustrate you, but your real enemy is your own seiners.

Upvote 0

Vigilant32

BightPatrol
Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
The tuna pens are no ones friend in Baja or US waters. Unless perhaps you are employed by the operators.

You can thank some of the same businessmen financing the sport fleet and pen business, they have figured out how to maximize the use of the resources regardless of whom is impacted at the local levels up & down the coast.

It is just silly to bring up the seiner argument as justification for hammering the local high spots along the Baja coast.

The fishing in the Caif Bight used to be some of the best in the world, some seasons it is, but pollution from over population has soured our once sweet waters and pushed pelagics further offshore. Can you blame the seiners for this phenomenon or your neighbor for moving in and flushing their toilets ?

Upvote 0

aguachico

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
ONE MONSTER AT A TIME,PLEASE.

So about 5 years ago I was at the ice house Maneadero. I tuna pen operator was their. We talked about the paddy fishing, which was good then. He told me that they go looking to wrap paddy fish, chunk it and feed to the tuna. The interesting thing is that tuna will eat anything thrown into the pen.

You would think that they would come up with some kind of 'tuna chow' instead of catching live bait, but since the boats are on the water, it makes sense that they kill everything underneath them.

Upvote 0

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
Brookings Oregon
Name
mike
Boat
19"Gregor
You can thank some of the same businessmen financing the sport fleet and pen business, they have figured out how to maximize the use of the resources regardless of whom is impacted at the local levels up & down the coast.
I'm thinking Frank has butter on both sides of his piece of bread

Upvote 0

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
  • May 31, 2014
    Name
    Leslie. Christensen
    Boat
    Ponga
    Well if you look at a sport boat next to a fleet of seiners, it no longer looks like much of a monster, does it? Should you be focusing on the guys killing 100 tuna or 100,000 tuna? By all accounts, the sport boats really aren't that bad. They might frustrate you, but your real enemy is your own seiners.
    Are the tuna pens run out of Sn Diego, some of same people as sportfishing fleet? Bighting the hand tht feeds them?

Upvote 0

fishkilr

Aug 27, 2012
    long beach,ca.u.s.a.
    Name
    alby
    Boat
    None
    that they go looking to wrap paddy fish, chunk it and feed to the tuna. The interesting thing is that tuna will eat anything thrown into the pen.
    Don't have personal experience feeding tuna in a confined space but I can tell you from workin with bait for many years is the amount of food it takes just to have them maintain their weight and strength for more than a month is unbelievable...and they will eat pretty much anything you give em
    I can only imagine how much feed it takes to not only maintain weight but fatten up and retain the quality they desire...
    I'm sure since fish is what they prefer to feed the pen fish that they are using species and quantities we can't even imagine for feed..

Upvote 0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
    Name
    J. David LeCompte
    Boat
    20' Triton
    I understand that its a local fishing town but why has anyone been able to answer my question.

Why is it OK for the Mexican Seiner fleet to decimate the local YF & BFT schools and affect the fishing for local and commercial sport boats. But then not OK for sport boats to go to a local high spot in Mexico (with the proper paperwork) and anchor up and fish.

Like I said previously I am not justifying anything in either case. But what it appears is the Mexican govt is more motivated by the money then help with both problems.

So instead of just complaining about US boats being on a local high spot take a deeper look at why they are there to begin with.

Greetings, Jason -- firstly, I don't think anyone's saying commercial decimation is OK. Most reading this would vociferously argue the opposite, as trawlers truly ruin recreational fishing, and more importantly subsistence and livelihood. Seiners are a government-run Goliath, an opponent overly worthy of discussion and battle. But also for a different thread, even important enough for it's own site.(?)

Everything boils down to the global hunger for resources, and mighty dollar. The government-backed commercial fleet tops the ladder, then comes long range boats, and local, multi-generational pangueros find themselves on the bottom rung. No recourse, no options. They're trying to maintain their businesses while battling uphill. Saludos, suerte, and understanding.

Upvote 0

Papa "J"

• May 8, 2003
    OffShore
    Name
    Jason
    Boat
    Grady White 272 Sailfish
    I think what I was trying to point out is, it just seems like a big trickle down effect and the fleet in San Quintin is really being affected by the bigger picture of their own government allow seiners to do what they do, which makes it harder for the San Diego fleet to do what they do, which in turn makes it difficult for the fisherman in SQ to do what they do.

At the end of the day it's all because of government BS and though I think that all fishing grounds should be shared I am hoping that everyone realizes that everyone is out trying to support their families, & expenses.

So hoping that things work out the SQ fleet should really be just as pissed off at their govt and not just the SD fleet anchoring on local spots. And articles like this should have all sides of the story .

hope it all works out, SQ is one of my favorite places to go.

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats
    Upvote 0

Rodcrafter

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Aug 26, 2010
    Central Coast of Cal
    SD fleet passengers provide zero value to these local fish camp pangeros, their families or their town.

They have been anchoring on these spots for decades or more while pushing the locals off their grounds.

If they outlawed anchoring on these sensitive areas it might work for everyone.

The skipper drove for hours to get down there he can drift & reset with the rest of everyone fishing, including locals, private boaters, whomever.

Or just outlaw the greedy captains and allow only locals & boats departing from SQ so the local economy gets a much needed shot in the arm.

If this was adopted down the Pacific coast all the areas would get a needed visit from fisherman utilizing local resources, a not just a few deep pockets from Point Loma .
    We used to give the Pagaderos tackle and beer, but the government no longer allows that. I miss the good old days.....

Upvote 0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
    Name
    J. David LeCompte
    Boat
    20' Triton
    Jason, you're absolutely right, and stated your point well. I think we all agree that "shit runs downhill." And it's not just San Quintin -- I've spent most of my Baja time in Cabo and the East Cape, and the commercial impact is just as devastating to sportfishing there. And that's just the peninsula -- I imagine the impact is equally disruptive on the mainland.

I know much louder, and better-funded, voices have been barking at the government for years. With seemingly no progress. So how must a panguero feel? I'd guess very upset with the government, and pretty helpless. So, understandably, he tilts at the windmill directly in front of him. Especially outsiders, who come armed with bigger boats and more intimidating tactics -- who seem to want to overtake, rather than share, the fishing grounds. Gringos who pay gringos to comfortably cruise out of SD aren't necessarily trying to support their families and pay expenses.

SO, I think we agree on that. Now comes the million-dollar question (literally). What can we do to get in the government's ear? To convince them to do SOMETHING to improve the recreational fishery? To have some foresight. Two years ago I started looking at property on the E. Cape. Honestly, based on the fishing curve, I'm glad I held off. Baja's tourism dollars will drop, their commercial harvest will dry up, and they'll be fucked. Worst of all, the government will be counting their pesos while families are destitute, and historical destinations in SQ, Loreto, and like Buena Vista, Rancho Leonero, Verdugos, etc. might be in jeopardy. No bueno!!!

I thank you for your thoughtful questions and responses, and look forward to more. Saludos, amigo -- fuerte y suerte -- Dave

Upvote 0

Lorenzo

Mar 15, 2006
    San Quintin
    Name
    Lorenzo
    Boat
    Proline 24 / Bayliner 20
    Well, here is an idea that hasn't got any interest at all, but I really feel could possibly remedy the situation. Focus all of your efforts towards ecology! That is, find and alien yourselves with the most influential, powerful and outspoken Mexican "Save the Planet/Wildlife" organization in Mexico City and jointly apply for a grant to establish offshore reefs for sea life preservation. Simply, the program would be to purchase all the of the junk yard cars, trucks and buses in the San Quintin valley (remove environmental hazards such as the oil, transmission fluids, etc.) and haul them out on a barge to the seiner's favorite spots and strategically position and create a bunch of reefs. If I were a seiner and consistently kept netting Volkswagens, I would move on. Done deal!

Upvote 0

Hangfire

Sep 22, 2007
    Name
    GW
    Boat
    Glastron Seafury
    If the LR fleet all had permits for Guadalupe there wouldn't be any troubles off of SQ...I doubt any of those LR boats want to be there, just a perfect storm of bad fishing.

Upvote 0

pvmarlin

Aquaholic, Need Vitamin Sea
    Dec 20, 2004
    Magdalena Bay - SLC
    magbaylures.com
    Name
    Toby
    Boat
    36' ProKat
    One of the best trips my friends & I have enjoyed over the years was trailering the 25' Whaler from OC to the Old Mill.

We felt warmly welcome, were assisted by locals on how to wisely navigate, ate & drank like kings and the nearshore and offshore fishing was epic.

We made our own bait, drifted the high spots with the locals, then went straight out 50 miles to create our own long range adventure.

We now do the same thing further south and the total adventure, quality of fishing and sharing economically with the locals is far more rewarding and relaxing.
    Now thats an awesome trip!

Reactions: BajaGringo
    Upvote 0

Captain Juan SQ

ARLETT DEL MAR.
    May 14, 2008
    San Quintin BCN mex.
    Name
    Captain Juan SQ.
    Boat
    parker 23/20.slaptail.
    Do a little research on bloody decks Ted Dunn as in lopreste dunn sport