Open Letter to San Diego Fishing Charters...

rosaritojimmy

ADDICTED TO FISH.
Nov 20, 2010
BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO
Name
JIM DECOURSEY
Boat
SLAPTAIL
how are the Fish taking care of after they are Caught,
Down their,I have Gotten Spoiled with the R S W on the Sport Boats
Most of the captains bleed your fish then store them in either ice chests or kill bags while on board. All of them offer cleaning at a reasonable price. Some will vacuum-pack your fish for you...it is NOT like the old days...

Reactions: BajaAdventures

aguachico

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
I did - but just like they did on the radio, not a single charter has bothered to respond...
This incident happened last week and you expect an immediate response? A prudent operator will gather all the facts first, discuss the options and maybe respond to you if necessary.

Maybe take a break from the issue and let all involved have time to take care of the most important things in the middle of the summer - fishing.

tight lines y suerte

Reactions: blowhole

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
I understand that its a local fishing town but why has anyone been able to answer my question.

Why is it OK for the Mexican Seiner fleet to decimate the local YF & BFT schools and affect the fishing for local and commercial sport boats. But then not OK for sport boats to go to a local high spot in Mexico (with the proper paperwork) and anchor up and fish.

Like I said previously I am not justifying anything in either case. But what it appears is the Mexican govt is more motivated by the money then help with both problems.

So instead of just complaining about US boats being on a local high spot take a deeper look at why they are there to begin with.

Last edited:

BajaGringo

Say what???
Jan 11, 2008
San Quintin, Baja Mexico
www.facebook.com
Name
Ron
Boat
Dos Amigos
This incident happened last week and you expect an immediate response? A prudent operator will gather all the facts first, discuss the options and maybe respond to you if necessary.

Maybe take a break from the issue and let all involved have time to take care of the most important things in the middle of the summer - fishing.

tight lines y suerte
Taking time to come up with a formal response and/or plan of action does take time, yes. That makes perfect sense.

But a short statement, reaching out to the local sportfishing community down here that acknowledges the situation with wording that attempts to help diffuse the conflict would be best if published as soon as possible. The continued silence from the San Diego charters on the topic is fueling the fire on the movement down here to seek a total ban on the out of area charters in local waters.

This will not go away and the ban proposal is gaining wide community support down here...

Lorenzo

Mar 15, 2006
San Quintin
Name
Lorenzo
Boat
Proline 24 / Bayliner 20
My wish is that all the local San Quintin pangeros, motels, restaurants, etc. etc. ( myself included) could direct some of this anger, frustration and concern for the future of our fishing/tourism towards prohibiting the purse seiners from totally destroying the Entire area. On a single day I have counted up to 9 boats out here, within 2 miles from shore, netting our bait (and everything else) to feed the Tuna farms in Ensenada. I heard the other day that a boat was actually out at one of our high spots we call "The 6" netting the perimeter for yellows! HEADS UP AMIGOS - this "IS" what can and will destroy our fishery OVERNIGHT!

tanner.s

Fish Slaughterer
Oct 18, 2012
San Diego
Name
Tanner
Boat
1997 Proline 23 W/A
ONE MONSTER AT A TIME,PLEASE.
Well if you look at a sport boat next to a fleet of seiners, it no longer looks like much of a monster, does it? Should you be focusing on the guys killing 100 tuna or 100,000 tuna? By all accounts, the sport boats really aren't that bad. They might frustrate you, but your real enemy is your own seiners.

Vigilant32

Nov 9, 2004
Name
G
Boat
The tuna pens are no ones friend in Baja or US waters. Unless perhaps you are employed by the operators.

You can thank some of the same businessmen financing the sport fleet and pen business, they have figured out how to maximize the use of the resources regardless of whom is impacted at the local levels up & down the coast.

It is just silly to bring up the seiner argument as justification for hammering the local high spots along the Baja coast.

The fishing in the Caif Bight used to be some of the best in the world, some seasons it is, but pollution from over population has soured our once sweet waters and pushed pelagics further offshore. Can you blame the seiners for this phenomenon or your neighbor for moving in and flushing their toilets ?

aguachico

Jul 20, 2004
El Lago Tijuana
Name
Art
Boat
Trident Yak- Grady White Seafarer
ONE MONSTER AT A TIME,PLEASE.
So about 5 years ago I was at the ice house Maneadero. I tuna pen operator was their. We talked about the paddy fishing, which was good then. He told me that they go looking to wrap paddy fish, chunk it and feed to the tuna. The interesting thing is that tuna will eat anything thrown into the pen.

You would think that they would come up with some kind of 'tuna chow' instead of catching live bait, but since the boats are on the water, it makes sense that they kill everything underneath them.

mullet

Metal Fabricator
Jan 10, 2006
San Fernando Valley
Name
Mike
Boat
19"Gregor
You can thank some of the same businessmen financing the sport fleet and pen business, they have figured out how to maximize the use of the resources regardless of whom is impacted at the local levels up & down the coast.
I'm thinking Frank has butter on both sides of his piece of bread

Leslie. Christensen

El Chivito
May 31, 2014
Name
Leslie. Christensen
Boat
Ponga
Well if you look at a sport boat next to a fleet of seiners, it no longer looks like much of a monster, does it? Should you be focusing on the guys killing 100 tuna or 100,000 tuna? By all accounts, the sport boats really aren't that bad. They might frustrate you, but your real enemy is your own seiners.
Are the tuna pens run out of Sn Diego, some of same people as sportfishing fleet? Bighting the hand tht feeds them?

fishkilr

on the water
Aug 27, 2012
long beach,ca.u.s.a.
Name
alby
Boat
None
that they go looking to wrap paddy fish, chunk it and feed to the tuna. The interesting thing is that tuna will eat anything thrown into the pen.
Don't have personal experience feeding tuna in a confined space but I can tell you from workin with bait for many years is the amount of food it takes just to have them maintain their weight and strength for more than a month is unbelievable...and they will eat pretty much anything you give em
I can only imagine how much feed it takes to not only maintain weight but fatten up and retain the quality they desire...
I'm sure since fish is what they prefer to feed the pen fish that they are using species and quantities we can't even imagine for feed..

Feb 7, 2010
Minneapolis/Gilroy/Buena Vista
Name
J. David LeCompte
Boat
20' Triton
I understand that its a local fishing town but why has anyone been able to answer my question.

Why is it OK for the Mexican Seiner fleet to decimate the local YF & BFT schools and affect the fishing for local and commercial sport boats. But then not OK for sport boats to go to a local high spot in Mexico (with the proper paperwork) and anchor up and fish.

Like I said previously I am not justifying anything in either case. But what it appears is the Mexican govt is more motivated by the money then help with both problems.

So instead of just complaining about US boats being on a local high spot take a deeper look at why they are there to begin with.
Greetings, Jason -- firstly, I don't think anyone's saying commercial decimation is OK. Most reading this would vociferously argue the opposite, as trawlers truly ruin recreational fishing, and more importantly subsistence and livelihood. Seiners are a government-run Goliath, an opponent overly worthy of discussion and battle. But also for a different thread, even important enough for it's own site.(?)

Everything boils down to the global hunger for resources, and mighty dollar. The government-backed commercial fleet tops the ladder, then comes long range boats, and local, multi-generational pangueros find themselves on the bottom rung. No recourse, no options. They're trying to maintain their businesses while battling uphill. Saludos, suerte, and understanding.

Papa "J"

May 8, 2003
OffShore
Name
Jason
Boat
Grady White 272 Sailfish
I think what I was trying to point out is, it just seems like a big trickle down effect and the fleet in San Quintin is really being affected by the bigger picture of their own government allow seiners to do what they do, which makes it harder for the San Diego fleet to do what they do, which in turn makes it difficult for the fisherman in SQ to do what they do.

At the end of the day it's all because of government BS and though I think that all fishing grounds should be shared I am hoping that everyone realizes that everyone is out trying to support their families, & expenses.

So hoping that things work out the SQ fleet should really be just as pissed off at their govt and not just the SD fleet anchoring on local spots. And articles like this should have all sides of the story .

hope it all works out, SQ is one of my favorite places to go.

Reactions: MinnesotaPhats