tunakillerjoe1

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Hello, i mistakenly bought some open eye Siwash hooks. What is the deal with open eye style of hooks? Can't figure. Snelling? Thanks!

stairman

May 16, 2009
ramona /ca/usa
Name
doug
Boat
yak and lowe duck hunting skiff but they identify as sportfishing crusiers
the hazards of on line shopping...get a hammer and a pair of pliers and or maybe a vice(no not drinking to excess) and hammer them closed

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Thought I bought them at Turners-not too worried about using them, but trying to understand the concept! Thanks!

Jiggermeister

May 27, 2012
San Diego
Name
David
Boat
None
Thought I bought them at Turners-not too worried about using them, but trying to understand the concept! Thanks!
It’s so you can connect directly to a jig or plug. Like if you wanted to replace the treble on a surface iron to a single or if you want to connect directly to a flat fall.

Reactions: Cubeye and RichG

Derby

My "Member" is Well Known.
Sep 9, 2010
SouthBay SF
Name
The Kid
Boat
Aquasport 222 FFV
It’s so you can connect directly to a jig or plug. Like if you wanted to replace the treble on a surface iron to a single or if you want to connect directly to a flat fall.
That's it. A pair of regular pliers will close it.

A little heat and silver will lock it. But usually not neccessary unless pulling big drag.

Used to change out iron trebles with a cut eye. Still works

Reactions: Cubeye

tunakillerjoe1

Jul 24, 2017
San Diego, Calif
Name
Joseph Gratteau
Boat
Valco Westcoaster
Dang-should have thought of that-replacements! Thanks! thought there was a new trick I was missing-

Reactions: RichG

pmurphy

Jan 8, 2007
Tucson, Arizona
Name
Pat
Boat
Hobie kayak
The open-eye siwash hooks I have, and I have many, have extremely long points and barbs and are pretty flexible, unlike the tuna-style hooks we are accustomed to. I believe that the design was originally specifically for oversized trout (salmon). I have no use for them in San Diego. I use good quality split rings and forged hooks instead.

Cubeye

Jan 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Name
Kub
Boat
17' Gregor
The open-eye siwash hooks I have, and I have many, have extremely long points and barbs and are pretty flexible, unlike the tuna-style hooks we are accustomed to. I believe that the design was originally specifically for oversized trout (salmon). I have no use for them in San Diego. I use good quality split rings and forged hooks instead.
You probably bought them 20+ years ago? Very popular back then for wahoo lures and bombs. I see many new lures, even today, that have those hooks on them.

skipjack

Oct 20, 2004
santa maria
Name
skip
Boat
2320 Parker "Donna Marie"
Those are very good salmon hooks.
Most are made of stainless,great hooks,but if used they should be changed every year.
The stainless hooks will have fine cracks in the bends,which are not a problem until they get rust inside over a year. They will break easy after that.
Knowing that,changing every year they work great for salmon!

mahi

Jan 5, 2005
laguna niguel
Name
Bob
Boat
Henriques 28 Express
They bend out very easy on bigger fish. We used to rig Marlin lures with them, until bending got too frequent.

ZZZZZ

Dec 11, 2003
Name
Boat
My old raiders had them before converting again but to the super gnarly owner trebbles. I sure miss my ringing kit.

As mentioned they can bend out. I was shown to slowly bend the hook in a tad for Wahoo fishing. So if you do hook a big fish on heavy line the hook does not spread to the point of the fish coming off. Hopefully. Not a big fish hook like a jobu for example

With a long stretchy top shot of 50 # big game. On a Trinidad 30 and 700H. The hook landed a 170lb yft when I was trying to catch a wahoo.

Has anyone spread one with 50#. I'm sure people have

1189253_ce14f649b327d89715c53b2ca829c452 (2)~4.jpg

Reactions: Cubeye