Lexa400Roy

Is so tired of this coronavirus disaster
  • Apr 4, 2019
    California
    Name
    Roy
    Boat Name
    No boat
    Hi everybody, so i want to start a topic, i currently dont own a jet ski but i am interested in buying one and setting it up for fishing, i have tossed the idea back and forth for a while but being new to this, i want to know what options we have as far as models and what not, ive never owned my own jet ski but i have rented a couple in the past, in your opinion what are good models for rigging up for fishing? And if you have one already how much do you think you averaged on your build?

Thanks everyone looking forward to everyones responses.

Socali818

><((((º>
    Sep 15, 2016
    La Habra, CA
    Name
    Mike L
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX HO
    There are a few options out to rig a ski/waverunner for fishing.

- Sea-Doo - Fish Pro, they other brands as well
    - Yamaha - FX HO or SHO
    - Honda Aquatrax
    - Suzuki

The new Sea-Doo Fish Pro has a lot of accessories you can add. This model was made for people fishing off their rig.

Yamaha, Honda, & Suzuki's are all good brands as well. Just need to be creative with adding what you need. You're going to want to look for one with a large platform if you want to maneuverer around and if you're planning on adding a live-well in the back.

What type of fishing do you plan on doing? Inshore/Offshore?

The average build price will depend on what you need...FF/GPS, Live-Well Rack, Cooler, Bilge Pump, Batteries, Handheld Radio, Safety Equipment, etc.

Scroll through BD to find more info or to see how people rigged theirs. There is also a few site dedicated to Jet Ski/Waverunner fishing.

Good luck!

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Pescador Paul

I Should Upgrade My Account
    Jun 11, 2004
    Carlsbad, CA
    Name
    Paul
    Boat Name
    Sold the Pursuit- Only a kayak and Wave Runner now
    1. On the ocean size matters, get a multiple person personal watercraft. I fish from a Yamaha Waverunner FXHO, which is rated for three people.
    2. Consider adding a second battery with a switch. I had this done by Anthony, who I believe currently works at H&H Marine.
    3. The customizing possibilities are endless. I have a rod rack. which holds a cooler and a fish finder/GPS,
    Amazon product
    The new Sea Doo fishing models come from the factory rigged to fish. These have only been out a few years, so there may not be many available on the used market.

4. Will you be buying a new ski or a used one? There are definitely some deals out there on used PWC. I recommend sticking with one of the big three brands: Yamaha, Sea Doo, and Kawasaki.
    5. Keep in mind that PWC do not normally have a neutral setting. When the engine is on you will be either moving forward or in reverse. I have heard the new Sea Doo fishing models do have a neutral setting, but I have not confirmed that as yet.

Paul

Reactions: Lexa400Roy
    Upvote 0

Lexa400Roy

• Apr 4, 2019
    California
    Name
    Roy
    Boat Name
    No boat
    There are a few options out to rig a ski/waverunner for fishing.

- Sea-Doo - Fish Pro, they other brands as well
    - Yamaha - FX HO or SHO
    - Honda Aquatrax
    - Suzuki

The new Sea-Doo Fish Pro has a lot of accessories you can add. This model was made for people fishing off their rig.

Yamaha, Honda, & Suzuki's are all good brands as well. Just need to be creative with adding what you need. You're going to want to look for one with a large platform if you want to maneuverer around and if you're planning on adding a live-well in the back.

What type of fishing do you plan on doing? Inshore/Offshore?

The average build price will depend on what you need...FF/GPS, Live-Well Rack, Cooler, Bilge Pump, Batteries, Handheld Radio, Safety Equipment, etc.

Scroll through BD to find more info or to see how people rigged theirs. There is also a few site dedicated to Jet Ski/Waverunner fishing.

Good luck!
    I will be most likely be focusing on just inshore fishing, maybe paddy hoping with it, ive seen some videos and theres guys out there catching BIIIIIIG tuna on them, obviously im not as experienced, but hopefully someday i will, i went on the forum and did some research. Theres a guy that says dont get a sea doo, and since im not so sure why i would like your input on these jet skis, are they good or bad? What would be a reason not to get one of those? Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

Lexa400Roy

• Apr 4, 2019
    California
    Name
    Roy
    Boat Name
    No boat
    1. On the ocean size matters, get a multiple person personal watercraft. I fish from a Yamaha Waverunner FXHO, which is rated for three people.
    2. Consider adding a second battery with a switch. I had this done by Anthony, who I believe currently works at H&H Marine.
    3. The customizing possibilities are endless. I have a rod rack. which holds a cooler and a fish finder/GPS,
    Amazon product
    The new Sea Doo fishing models come from the factory rigged to fish. These have only been out a few years, so there may not be many available on the used market.

4. Will you be buying a new ski or a used one? There are definitely some deals out there on used PWC. I recommend sticking with one of the big three brands: Yamaha, Sea Doo, and Kawasaki.
    5. Keep in mind that PWC do not normally have a neutral setting. When the engine is on you will be either moving forward or in reverse. I have heard the new Sea Doo fishing models do have a neutral setting, but I have not confirmed that as yet.

Paul
    That makes a lot of sense, i want to buy a sea doo fish pro, i am inclined on this jet ski, but i want to know if theres anything i should be watching out for, my goal is to buy a new one, but if my funds dont reach that far then buying a used one is gonna be what i do, i have been looking at the accesories for fishing, I.E. a basket with rod holders, fish finder, the apron things, and also repairs cost to keep that in mind, i do want to ask you, what should i be watching out for while looking at a used jet ski?

Upvote 0

Socali818

><((((º>
    Sep 15, 2016
    La Habra, CA
    Name
    Mike L
    Boat Name
    Yamaha FX HO
    I will be most likely be focusing on just inshore fishing, maybe paddy hoping with it, ive seen some videos and theres guys out there catching BIIIIIIG tuna on them, obviously im not as experienced, but hopefully someday i will, i went on the forum and did some research. Theres a guy that says dont get a sea doo, and since im not so sure why i would like your input on these jet skis, are they good or bad? What would be a reason not to get one of those? Thank you in advance.
    My first was a 2 stroke Sea-Doo, definitely not recommended for ocean. It wasn't stable enough so I upgraded to a Yamaha FX HO. No complaints. They're quick, easy to maintain, have a big platform, and sturdy. I have caught many fish and made Offshore and island trips with no problem.

I have heard mix reviews on the new Sea-Doo's. Mostly good but some that weren't fans. They have a lot of features for add-ons and a big platform. A couple people I know go pretty far with them, some going as far our as SCI. I wouldn't be able to give personal feedback since I've never rode one yet.

Upvote 0
    May 29, 2009
    Vista
    Name
    Craig
    Boat Name
    Chapparral 25' and Yamaha FXHO Jetski
    The guy I bought my FXHO from in Oregon fishes with a friend that has a Fishpro that had problems. He took it in and it had parts from other model Seadoos. The older Seadoos had problems but the newer ones are supposed to be better. The Fishpro looks very cool and stable. 20k new. I couldn't get a new FXHO. Long wait. I found one in Oregon bear Portland. 24 hours 16.5k fully decked out with pole holders, collars, gps, radio, 2 batteries, splash guards. Maybe an extra 4 k in it plus an aluminum trailer. Worth the 32 hour rd trip.

I installed a rec deck which extends and flattens the rear area and has a full ladder.

FXHO gets one if the best gas mileage. I am looking for jetski fisherman to fish with.

Craig

20220429_130823.jpg

57512 (1).jpeg

57506.jpeg

20220429_130823.jpg

Upvote 0
    May 29, 2009
    Vista
    Name
    Craig
    Boat Name
    Chapparral 25' and Yamaha FXHO Jetski
    Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/17mOgKRXBqb

Here is a FXHO with a rescue board included. Good for hauling a kill sack or larger ice chest or extra fuel.

Good videos on youtube.com about setting up FXHO for fishing. Look up Waverunner Fishing Family. This guy's fxho is amazing. He talks about Yamaha Reliability.

Mine has:
    Marine Radio
    Hand Held Radio
    GGarmin Fish Finder
    Compass
    GC Splash Guards
    PWC Antiroll Collars Large
    GC Foot Well Pole Holders
    GC 20L Extra Fuel tank Integrated
    70 qt cooler with pole holders
    Yamaha Rec Deck
    Ram cup holder accessory mount for Radio. Compass, phone, GPS

Upvote 0

rayray999

Dec 20, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    RayRay
    Boat Name
    Waverunner
    If you will go on the ocean, and will use it for fishing, then don't think of it as a PWC anymore, and that will open up a lot of options for you to modify it.
    Unless you will have a buddy joining you every time you fish, the most important criteria should be reliably, and second stability ..
    What accessories are available is not important, because you can add anything you want, and someone has probably already done it, and you can follow their lead on youtube.
    In my opinion, I would only consider 2 ski's if you are buying new. The fish pro and the Yamaha FX Ho ...
    The Yamaha is the Toyota Camry of the water, and you will never have to worry about mechanical issues, like the SeaDo. But the SeaDo will be more stable. But you can solve that by adding jetski collars to the Yamaha.
    I have rolled over 20 miles off shore, and it was not fun, especially losing very expensive fishing gear.... But lessons learned ... always have your fishing gear strapped down when not in use, and a pair of collars fixed that issue .
    Also, keep in mind that the ride is not like a boat ... No matter how good you are, or what ski you have, there will be splash, and at times a full on soak from a rogue wave.
    Besides that I would never go back to a boat, and right now I'm the process of adding a 35 pound thrust trolling motor to my Yamaha.
    Give it a shot, you will not be disappointed.

Upvote 0

One_Leg

Ret. Comm. Diver Medic
    May 11, 2007
    You're mined!
    www.csicop.org
    Name
    Alan
    Boat Name
    1967 Cobia Cuddy Cabin/Evinrude Looper
    I have rolled over 20 miles off shore, and it was not fun, especially losing very expensive fishing gear.... But lessons learned ... always have your fishing gear strapped down when not in use, and a pair of collars fixed that issue .
    How difficult was it to right your pwc after rolling?

Upvote 0

rayray999

Dec 20, 2020
    San Diego
    Name
    RayRay
    Boat Name
    Waverunner
    How difficult was it to right your pwc after rolling?
    not too difficult. you can flip it back from side. However, almost impossible to get back on, because of my rack and cooler in the back, and I could not get on from the side, as it l flipped again.
    I was lucky to have my buddy out there, and a very loud whistle on my neck to get his attention. He came by, put his foot on the side of the ski, allowing me to get back on from side.

Last edited:
    Upvote 0

Lexa400Roy

• Apr 4, 2019
    California
    Name
    Roy
    Boat Name
    No boat
    If you will go on the ocean, and will use it for fishing, then don't think of it as a PWC anymore, and that will open up a lot of options for you to modify it.
    Unless you will have a buddy joining you every time you fish, the most important criteria should be reliably, and second stability ..
    What accessories are available is not important, because you can add anything you want, and someone has probably already done it, and you can follow their lead on youtube.
    In my opinion, I would only consider 2 ski's if you are buying new. The fish pro and the Yamaha FX Ho ...
    The Yamaha is the Toyota Camry of the water, and you will never have to worry about mechanical issues, like the SeaDo. But the SeaDo will be more stable. But you can solve that by adding jetski collars to the Yamaha.
    Also, keep in mind that the ride is not like a boat ... No matter how good you are, or what ski you have, there will be splash, and at times a full on soak from a rogue wave.
    Besides that I would never go back to a boat, and right now I'm the process of adding a 35 pound thrust trolling motor to my Yamaha.
    Give it a shot, you will not be disappointed.
    Thats the response i was looking for, i mean everyones input is highly appreciated, thats a lot of good information, but this!! Saying that you wouldnt go back on a boat unless you did it to stay dry lol that just screams how much fun it is, ive been looking at the Yamaha because pretty much everybody uses them, and ive gone to see a couple, but one had a water leak and the other one looked completely different than the pictures and it needed a lot of work, i didnt trust it, once i get one i will be looking for buddies to go on longer trips thanks everyone...

Upvote 0

Latest posts