Paul Ward

I Should Upgrade My Account
Jul 17, 2007
Costa Mesa
Name
wooddog
Boat
Boaty
Opah! Couldnt resist helping to resurrect the most awsome thread of all time. Lets talk about opah And divers jumping in to kill a bite. Ready Go

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
1987 Cabo 216/F150 "Have Not Blown-up Yet!"
I gave up after 14 pages looking for a question or answer from SeanG or others on what the alleged multiple opahs looked like that he saw. I've fished the SD waters (1-2 times a week) for over 30 years and have not seen an opah but many molas some just outside SD Bay.

Did SeanG ever explain what the alleged Opah looked like? Did it have a tail? color?, spots, etc.

Some of you guys were a little tough on SeanG. A respectful reply looking to verify what he saw and helping him understand the law and regulations using a spear gun from his boat and the fish he tried to catch would have been the sporting way to reply. We are sportsman and gentlemen on this board aren't we? What you did is chase SeanG away from ever posting his catch again.

Posters like SeanG is what made this board the most informational SC fishing forum there is and has pointed me in the right direction and at the right place at the right time, many times since it started just like many others on this board. Thus saving me thousands of $ in fuel costs or into locations I never fished at before.

SeanG has not posted since this thread. One less lead to where the fish are biting. A wise man once said something like this, "He that is without sin among you, let him be the first to cast a stone....." seems appropriate in this situation.

FYI: "The meat of the ocean sunfish (mola) is considered a delicacy in some regions, the largest markets being Taiwan and Japan. All parts of the sunfish are used in cuisine, from the fins to the internal organs.......Recent studies indicate a decrease in sunfish populations that may be caused by more frequent bycatch and the increasing popularity of sunfish in human diet."

While I'm one who would not harvest a mola, your opinion and my opinion on molas are just that "our opinions" that others may or may not follow. Some fish for sport and others to feed their families.

220px-SunfishDish1_2.jpg
Mola Dinner: Looks yummy

Sunfish Dish 2.jpg
Mola Sashimi anyone?

opah.jpg
Opah

molas.jpg
Molas

ocean-sunfish-mola-mola-california-picture-03309-102065.jpg
Mola fin (like a shark's) is very dissimilar from an opah fin

Attachments

• opah.jpg
    opah.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
I took your advice Pete and waded thru all the pages. I did see a few helpful comments after the 1st page on topic but only a few like, "You guys have got to get out and go fishing! Enough! Stop already! I stopped subscribing to this thread along time ago, and it's still going...... Amazing!" I also liked the picture of the opah swimming with the sharks if it was not photo shopped.

Other than that about 40 pages of hijacked comments about cars and other juvenile nonsense. I did not know BDs had so many 16 year olds on its board.

Last edited:

peteking

Everybody take a look at the bad guy-T. Montana
Apr 21, 2013
Arcadia/CA/USA
Name
Pete King
Boat
Ohana
I'm prepping to have BBQ'd head speared Opal tonight. When you leave the spear in the head, it is easy to turn on the grill. Sorry to hear that the original poster of this thread does not love us anymore.

Halibut Howie

1987 Cabo 216
May 22, 2003
San Diego
Name
Halibut Howie
Boat
plj46,

One of the purposes of this great forum is to help others from getting into trouble due to not knowing or misinterpreting the CAF&G regulations. As you know they are quite complicated, cumbersome to read and sometimes not easy to understand especially for a novice. I do not know SeanG but obviously he did not knowing break the law or he would not have posted his thread. When I first read his thread yesterday I immediately knew he was mistaken because an opah fin looks nothing like a shark's fin among other obvious clues to seasoned anglers. He only posted twice before in the same month before some of you guys took great pride in flaming him. He is obviously a rookie angler and needed our help being a better steward of ocean fishing before he gets himself into trouble with the F&G and/or takes fish unnecessarily. Some offered help but most did not.

I look at the world through a pair of different colored glasses than you do. I see the good in people and not look for something bad in them so I can tear them down to inflate my ego at their expense. So I guess if an old women tripped and fell down you would call her stupid for falling and not help her up. Some of us would take pity on her unfortunate circumstance and gladly help her up as well as help her so that it does not happen again. So enjoy your world through your pair of colored glasses and I'll enjoy mine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bondrvr

plj46

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
Jan 7, 2008
Socal
Name
john
Boat
24 ft grady white
plj46,

One of the purposes of this great forum is to help others from getting into trouble due to not knowing or misinterpreting the CAF&G regulations. As you know they are quite complicated, cumbersome to read and sometimes not easy to understand especially for a novice. I do not know SeanG but obviously he did not knowing break the law or he would not have posted his thread. When I first read his thread I immediately knew he was mistaken because an opah fin looks nothing like a shark's fin. He only posted twice before in the same month before you guys took great pride in flaming him. He is obviously a rookie and needed our help being a better steward of ocean fishing before he gets himself into trouble with the F&G or takes fish unnecessarily. Some offered help but most did not.

I look at the world through a pair of different colored glasses than you do. I see the good in people and not look for something bad in them so I can tear them down to inflate my ego at their expense. So I guess if an old women tripped and fell down you would call her stupid for falling and not help her up. Some of us would take pity on her unfortunate circumstance and gladly help her up and help her so that it does not happen again. So enjoy your world through your pair of colored glasses and I'll enjoy mine.
Heres my take on the rules when you go fishing,know the regulations or stay out of the water.Ignorance is no excuse.If your not sure whats legal or what your trying to catch,kill or spear then dont do it ! What kind of help or advice could be given to this guy ? i honestly thought it was a joke at first and cant remember commenting on this post until today.If you find the DFW regulations that difficult to comprehend try a different set of colored glasses.

makairaa

I Post A Lot But I Can't Edit This
May 1, 2005
Tustin CA
Name
Philip Hunkins
Boat
17 starcraft
And yet they free gaffed a 90 lb opah in 4 feet of water in front of fishermans landing about 2 weeks ago. So you never know. Guessing that he never posted again I am assuming he was a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.