Not open for further replies.

SeanG

May 31, 2012
PB San Diego
Name
Michael Sean Garland
Boat
Awesomer
Anyone else see the several Opahs in central San Diego waters yesterday? 150 feet of water I saw what I thought was a shark fin then to my amazement realized what it was a huge Opah right next to our boat. So I grabbed my 36" spear gun that I keep on the boat just in case and took a shot and missed, too far away. The fish took off and we thought that was it, we'd never see it again.

We continued fishing for a half an hour, caught several rock fish and a small Mako which we released then saw the Opah again about 30 yards off our stern. We threw Irons, Kroks and Sardines at it but no luck. We tried motoring closer but it spooked and dove.

We were tripping out to say the least to see these f'en huge buggers that I've only eaten when I lived in Hawaii.

An hour later we see two more in the same spot. WTF? What are the odds? Finally we had our act together and with the spear gun ready with 20 yards of parachute cord tied to the boat we quickly motored up to one. I felt like Captain Ahab on the pultpit, spear gun in hand, ready to shoot, adrenaline flowing big time at the anticipation of shooting a 3' diameter 100lb+ fish.

So there it was, inches away and I took my shot which was perfect right behind the eye at the spine. The huge tropical beauty dove and started pulling me and my gun over so I pulled back on the gun not wanting to loose it even though I knew it was tied off when the unthinkable happened. The line sheared at the spear and the fish dove with the spear shaft embedded. Gone!

I'm at a loss so say how disappointed I was at losing a fish that could feed my family for a month and I feel deeply disappointed at losing such a beauty let alone a good spear that I've had for 20 years but with that said, if I had a harpoon on board, the story would be different. By the way, the line on the spear was replaced last summer.

So Im building a harpoon now and will always have one on the ready because you never know when the fish of your lifetime will come knocking on your swimstep.

calisnowhunter

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Jul 22, 2008
In the boat/in the blind
Name
Bill
Boat
18' westcoaster SOLD
so let me get this straight. you shot your speargun from the boat killed a fish and wasted it:shithappens:

Reactions: SharkSlayR

tapatio

Oct 19, 2011
tarzana
Name
aren antounian
Boat
montauk 17' and Glass Pro "Merisa Maru II"
if its the mola mola, the pic blackfish put up. they're a protected fish right?

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
He did not said wasted it. He said the opah could feed the family for a month.

lynndeva

Fishing mom
Sep 14, 2009
Socal
Name
Debi
Boat
Wellcraft Coastal
if that's the case, I think I would have jumped in after it..how fast could it get away with a spear in it's head

Reactions: stoned-trout

riceman1011

Dec 20, 2007
Orange County
Name
Jeffrey Tedmori
Boat
30Ft Wellcraft Scarab Tournament CC "Paddy Rat"
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I keep imagining this guy chasing around mola's all day. They taste just like Opah in Hawaii.

Reactions: djennings

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
harpoons is legal. But not for swordfish right?

Tin Pangas

Skipper
Aug 28, 2010
Norwalk, Ca U.S.A.
Name
Kevin
Boat
37 Tollycraft
New Guy,
Are you saying, after seeing the pic of the Mola, That 'they' (you said that you saw several) were 'not' Molas? That you are still convinced that you saw 'several' opah?...fess up.

4bruce

Dec 13, 2011
la
Name
Lee
Boat
goldfish
those internet people would not believe you. They need to go out to the ocean more often. I saw an opal 2 time when I came back half way from catalina 3 years ago. gaff did not stick. Next time snap a picture first.

JUST JEFF

Oct 12, 2009
ORANGE/CA
Name
JEFF
Boat
23 - STRIPER / LITTLE BIT
I'm thinking we should get a least 6 or 7 pages out of this, beers on me:hali_olutta:

Reactions: CD21

socal_matt

Yakker
Jan 4, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Name
Matt
Boat
12' Ocean Kayak aka "The Banana"
if its the mola mola, the pic blackfish put up. they're a protected fish right?
I don't believe mola are illegal to keep. Its just that it is not sporting to go after them plus its considered bad luck to bring one on your deck. Also it is said they don't even taste that great.

These are just things that I have heard. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

IMO, I think they are just way too cool to even think about harming. Sometimes when I'm out on the kayak, I see them jump out of the water and glide like airplanes. To say the least, it is an awesome sight to see.

Reactions: stoned-trout

c-goat

HELL BENT FOR FEATHER
May 4, 2004
santee ca.
Name
Bill
Boat
08 DEFIANCE 220 ex Sheri-Moon
Dearest Sean:You be trippin...that is all...carry on.

grumpymossback

Feb 8, 2013
san diego ca usa
Name
ryan
Boat
22' defiance
This thread isnt going to end well

Blackfish

Marble collector.
Sep 20, 2005
My Backyard
Name
Boat
toy
Nope. That's a Mola (Sunfish). Thanks for the Harpoon info. Did not know that.
I always thought that spear guns were legal to use only while the spearer is actually in the water.
harpoons is legal. But not for swordfish right?
Looks like harpoons are ok but shooting it firm the boat, not ok. Either way, i was just messing with you. i have no reason not to believe you saw multiple Opah, and even shot one. Your post just reminded me of the troll post a few months back with a pic of a guy holding a Mola Mola, saying hit was a Opah. LOL

28.90. DIVING, SPEARFISHING. Persons who are floating or swimming in the water may use spearfishing gear and skin or SCUBA diving equipment to take fin fish other than giant (black) sea bass,
46For up-to-date groundfish regulation information, call the CDFW Groundfish Hotline at (831) 649-2801 For up-to-date ocean salmon regulation information, call the CDFW Ocean Salmon Hotline at (707) 576-3429
garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, trout, salmon or broadbill, except that: (a) No person may possess or use a spear within 100 yards of the mouth of any stream in any ocean. (b) When spearfishing for or in possession of federal groundfish or associated species as authorized
pursuant to sub-sections 27.25(c)(4), 27.30(c)(4), 27.35(c)(4), 27.40(c)(3), 27.45(c)(4) or 27.50(c)(3), in an area or during a season closed to the take of these species, no fishing gear except spearfishing gear may be aboard the vessel or watercraft.
28.91. SLURP GUNS. Slurp guns may be used to take finfish except that bag and possession limits shall not be exceeded wherever they apply and no species of finfish may be taken for which a minimum size limit has been established (see Sections 27.60 and 28.00-28.55).
28.95. SPEARS, HARPOONS AND BOW AND ARROW FISHING TACKLE. Spears, harpoons and bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used for taking all varieties of skates, rays, and sharks, except white sharks. Such gear may not be possessed or used within 100 yards of the mouth of any stream in any ocean waters north of Ventura County, nor aboard any vessel on any day or on any trip when broadbill swordfish or marlin have been taken. Bow and arrow fishing tackle may be used to take finfish other than giant (black) sea bass, garibaldi, gulf grouper, broomtail grouper, trout, salmon, broadbill swordfish and white shark.

Status
Not open for further replies.