Ono for the "Who Dat Nation"!

Discussion in 'Hawaii Fishing Reports' started by munsen13, Jun 29, 2010.

1. munsen13

munsen13 Newbie

Name:
    IA
    Boat:
    17' Montauk
    Figure I'd finally give a report from the "Friendly Isle" considering I read everyone elses. I enjoy reading all the stories and reports so heres one.

Up until this past weekend the wind has been making ocean conditions pretty rough especially for small boaters here. So when I got the news of the wind backing down I got pretty fired up especially when I got the green light for Sunday. So my friend calls me up on Saturday afternoon and says if were on for Sunday and I say you got it and told my him I also invited this guy (from Mississippi big Saints Fan). I was sitting next to this guy on the plane (talking about fishing) returning to Molokai from Oahu earlier in the week and told him if he wanted to fish if he had time (came over to work) since he was cool and was also a fish fanatic. (BTW this guy was flying back home on the day we were going fishing; only on Molokai) We set the plan up and it was on. So got up at 4:15am the 2 man crew met at my house by 5:00am and we were in the water by 5:20am. I thought I'd see some trailers in the parking lot this morning considering Saturday was pretty packed with trailers by Molokai standards. But this morning only 1 other trailer was parked and I began thinking if others knew something I didn't. Well we get out of the harbor fly down 2-3 miles and set the spread out and get ready whatever action. Water conditions were excellent with a slight breeze over the surface and I being the only boat hitting the ledge. So as we are talking story this guy is really thankful to be out fishing and can't think of a better way to end his work week. He is stoked and I'm thinking I hope he gets to catch and reel something/anything. So I pass a couple spots were I had several hits in the past and i'm thinking ok it gonna be one of dem days, when the shotgun with the 12/0 and the chrome jet skirted with rootbeer/creamsicle starts taking off. Tried pulling the pin but there was so much tension and at that point i'm thinking yeah decent size fish. Tell my Mississippi friend its all yours and he starts cranking as the fish slows its one and only run. 5 minutes and hes like damn i'm ready to give up jokingly. I just tell'um keep going almost there don't give any slack and a minute later my other friend sinks the gaff in. Lure is buss up but yessah first ono of the year in the boat and first fish & Hawaii fishing experience for this guy. He is grateful and yep all smiles and so am I; monkey off the back and this guy caught a fish. Took pictures and set up again switched lures and make another pass nada, so we keep going. Pass Hale O Lono harbor and i see one big black bird (not an iwa) with what looked like a brown head. Then i see a single white bird in the sky....("still a novice" not quite sure what to do in these kine situations) I pass right under it and its just hovering not really moving. I keep trolling targeting another area that i've had luck with in the past. As I continue on I keep looking back to where the bird is and its in the same area not moving. I'm now about maybe 60-80 yards away when i look back again and at that very moment i see this bird just dive bomb. Then several other birds out of nowhere appear and head in the same direction. I see fish jumping (looked good size especially from that distance) that looked like either aku or shibi. I switched all my lures out to smaller stuff and turned and headed back in that direction. As fast as it happend it disappeared; don't know where the birds went as well as the action. Kinda worked the area blindly but eventually switched back to bigger stuff. As soon as we did snap! Roller troller pops on the short corner and line peels off the 9/0. This fish made a strong run then stopped at which point my friend cranked the reel but then it ran again and then it spit the hook. Kinda sick not for the fish coming off :-)shithappens: happens) but for my friend as its his lure. This lure has taken several hits since we started running it but we have not brought a fish in the boat with it (hardluck). Came close with a big mahi that gave us problems (f'up story). Any how ripped to shreds some chipping and scratches and nothing to show but more battle scars. Switched that out and a few minutes later the other shotgun with the 12/0 starts ripping line this one with a chrome jet red/black combo skirt. Few minutes later with a gaff to the head the 2nd ono was in the boat. Right after the wind kicked up a bit and we headed in. They popped some beers and the guy was on his way back to the mainland while my friend and I split the catch.

Attached Files:

2. J_B

J_B Captain

Name:
    JB
    Boat:
    21' Lightnin' Whaler "Moana B."
    Nice catch. What color is skirt job on the rootbeer/creamsicle? Any pics? I have heard about it many times on Kauai but have never seen it.

--
    Thanks
    JB

3. navyaircrew

navyaircrew Newbie

Name:
    Scott
    Boat:
    2001 Pro-Line 20 Walk
    way to hook him up bro!

4. Startmeup

Startmeup Official Sponsor of Bloodydecks Advertiser

Name:
    Lee
    Boat:
    Start Me Up Sportfishing
    Thanks for the great report and pictures!Doug

5. grander007

grander007 Well-Known "Member"

Name:
    zzzz
    Boat:
    46, Bertram, Deep Blue
    Way to go on the fish and great post!

Tight lines,

6. CHRISTINA GAIL

CHRISTINA GAIL Newbie

Name:
    BEN
    Boat:
    21 ALI'I KAI - CHRISTINA GAIL
    WAY TO SPREAD ALOHA, THAT GUY WILL NEVER FORGET THAT TRIP! GREAT STORY THANKS.

7. cheehuli

cheehuli Newbie

Name:
    Chase
    Boat:
    24' Custom Sampan "Girlie T"
    Spread the ALOHA! Good you took da guy fishing and caught some nice kine ono. Looks like the lure took a good crack!

8. munsen13

munsen13 Newbie

Name:
    IA
    Boat:
    17' Montauk
    Thanks guys, felt good getting the guy a fish. And JB heres the pic of the rootbeer/creamsicle. This color works good for ono with a chrome head on my boat and I just noticed we both have a 19'0 whaler.

Attached Files: