hawksfan75

More questions than answers
Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
I turn 40 in 2021 and have the green light to explore a once in a lifetime type fishing trip. We poked around all the BC/Alaska lodges at the Sportsman Show, but I would be hard pressed to pick one right now if I had to.

So, since BD excels at spending other people’s money, what would you choose?

fishing fanatic

Well-Known "Member"
May 12, 2008
Alger, WA
Name
jason
Boat
28’ almar sounder //16' lavro
Chartered or not? If not bamfield would be a definite consideration.....my biggest king thee is 46lbs and it’s not known for those by any means but the fishing, bottom and salmon, as well as islands are second to none to learn on your own

hawksfan75

Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
Chartered or not? If not bamfield would be a definite consideration.....my biggest king thee is 46lbs and it’s not known for those by any means but the fishing, bottom and salmon, as well as islands are second to none to learn on your own
i kind of like the self charter thing. Doing it myself would be cool. There was an outfit in Sitka that was a blend. Charter for two days then self charter for two.

BiggestT

I've posted enough I should edit this section
Sep 8, 2004
Fullerton
Name
SM
Boat
Salsipuedes & Czech Mate
Fishing salmon in rivers, let alone in Alaska, is so over rated. Man does crazy shit when big fish get funneled into narrow confines. Just saying.

Reactions: jonnyboy852

tacklejacked

Capt./ Ho if I get to drive
Jun 2, 2009
Seabeck
Name
Greg
Boat
22 Hewescraft Searunner ET HT
You guys are making me feel old...

I went to Costa Rica last year fished on Coleman's boat, Capt Randall is top notch. I can do rain gear Kings anytime...flip flops, boardshorts and billfish...um, no brainier.

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
Professional Boat Ho for now
I concur ...do a blue/warm water adventure. Big salmon are like catching a wet towel while a big pelagic is like catching a Lamborghini.
Warm water, warm weather ...doesn’t get better then that.

hawksfan75

Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
Feeling that there may be a timeline on Haidi Guai, with salmon on the decline and opportunity rapidly going away i would book the QCL.
Yeah, the northern guys were all saying that the days of 50s are about over…

QCL is near the top of the list but is likely a bit out of our price range for the two of us.

hawksfan75

Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
I concur ...do a blue/warm water adventure. Big salmon are like catching a wet towel while a big pelagic is like catching a Lamborghini.
Warm water, warm weather ...doesn’t get better then that.
A long-range trip is on the list also, but I think my wife would be miserable on them. Too much dude and too much seasick…

RUNNOFT

Word of the Day: IceMelter
May 13, 2003
Orange County Kali
Name
OT - the Other Travis
Boat
Professional Boat Ho for now
A long-range trip is on the list also, but I think my wife would be miserable on them. Too much dude and too much seasick…
No need for a long range Eric, Costa Rica day trip... Cabo day trips...anywhere south of the border in warm water will get you chances at Lamborghini’s....hell my buddy in Manzanillo caught 8 wahoo on his panga 2 miles off shore this week.

Captain Decent

Nov 2, 2017
Covington, wa
Name
Ryan
Boat
The Bert Makes ’em Squirt
This constant rain may skew my opinion but definitely Costa Rica. But if you do, take the kids, take 2 weeks and do more than just fish. Yeah the fishing’s awesome but you’re cheating yourself if you spend the whole time on a boat. There’s so much to do and see.

we went for 2 weeks and booked an inshore and an offshore trip with 2 different outfits out of 2 ports. Fishing for us wasn’t great but the fish we did catch were amazing And the possibilities on shore are endless.

mrfish11

"Just a captain"
Aug 3, 2009
Olympia,WA
Name
Brian
Boat
Parker 2320, 17x60 Willies
Havent been there but I'm with capt decent on this one....I'm getting sick of this damn rain and would probably do Costa Rica too.

hawksfan75

Sep 7, 2011
Kent, WA USA
Name
Eric
Boat
Hydra Sports 2200 DC
Well, I’ve spent the last 30 minutes researching trips to Fiji… this could be more fun than the trip, heh

KimH

Someday I'll live the dream.
Mar 4, 2009
Tacoma/Westport WA/USA
Name
Kim
Boat
26' Duckworth..."Mayhem"
My wife and I went to this place in Belize twice. https://www.turnefferesort.com/
I was fly-fishing everyday for bones and permit, she was snorkeling. At certain times of the year tarpon are around also. I think they do other types of tackle as well. Great fun. I did catch plenty of bones and scored one permit. No tarpon for me to get the s The place caters to fishermen, snorkelers and divers. They have boats that take you to a different spot each day. For fishing you mostly wade fish after being run to the spot on a flats boat. It's all sight fishing which is a real kick. Bones are rockets. Permit pull hard.

For the snorkelers and divers one of the days they take you to the Blue Hole. I think they do two snorkel and dive spots daily except Blue Hole day.

You wake each morning with a pot of coffee at your front door. All meals are family style with the other guests which is actually a lot of fun. Food is great. You won't go hungry. Booze is extra. The only beer they have is Belkin but it's good. We had a cabana each time which was great. Take the wife...she'll love it and want to go back.

They didn't have the spa stuff when we were there but it looks like that has been added also. We'd go back again but since she's had a couple of cancer surgeries she's afraid to go somewhere that remote so it's mostly Westport, maybe Hawaii.

notellumcreek

Jul 6, 2014
Name
Hank
Boat
20' Nr Seahawk
Well, I’ve spent the last 30 minutes researching trips to Fiji… this could be more fun than the trip, heh
Fiji is awesome just to enjoy, never fished when I was there but it was definitely the best place to snorkel that I’ve been to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cap'n Coldeye

Cohoho

May 19, 2010
Lake Tapps, Washington
Name
Cohoho
Boat
COHOHO - 23 ft Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - SOLD
Guatemala - Casa Vieja lodge! We booked my “Once in a Lifetime” trip when I turned 50, now I’ve been there three times. And going for another round. We averaged 25 Pacific Sailfish to the boat per day per trip. Designated as Worlds Best Sail fishing for a reason! Amazing blue water fishing. Florida Keys is awesome for Big Tarpon and sharks! PV for big Yellowfin. Togiak River lodge AK if you want non-stop Silver action dusk til dawn!

Attachments

Last edited: