umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat
18' starcraft "big knockers"
anyone have any ungrateful little ingrates... all kidding aside, i found this piece to be very interesting.

Girl injured by truck-driver dad gets $22.5 million settlement deal - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento BeeGirl injured by truck-driver dad gets $22.5 million settlement deal

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://w.sharethis.com/button/sharethis.js#tabs=email%2Cpost%2Cweb&charset=utf-8&style=rotate&publisher=07b82a1a-1737-43ed-bfb1-03a19aa05a39&headerbg=%23edf3f5&linkfg=%23024a82"></script>ShareThis
<script showbranding="0" src="http://d.yimg.com/ds/badge2.js" badgetype="text">the_sacrament682:/2010/04/15/2679930/teen-gains-largest-settlement.html</script>Buzz up!

By Andy Furillo
[email protected]
Published: Thursday, Apr. 15, 2010 - 12:00 am | Page 4B
Last Modified: Thursday, Apr. 15, 2010 - 8:23 am

<!-- CLOSE: #story_header --> The judge got the girl on the phone in the courtroom Wednesday and asked her if she was OK with the compromise settlement that will pay her $22.5 million.
"It's fine," 14-year-old Diana Yuleidy Loza-Jimenez told Sacramento Superior Court Judge David W. Abbott. "Whatever you guys decide is fine with me. I know you're doing everything you can to help me out."
It's a little less than the $24.3 million a jury awarded Loza-Jimenez on March 5, but it still adds up to the largest single personal-injury award in Sacramento County history.
The girl suffered severe injuries Nov. 27, 2004, when her father accidentally ran over her with his big-rig truck while hauling a load of produce from Bakersfield to Oregon for a Portland-based firm.
Abbott in December found the company, Freeway Transport Inc., liable for the girl's injuries because it acted as the "common carrier" that insured and took legal responsibility for the load of produce Loza-Jimenez's father was taking back to Oregon.
Jurors last month approved the massive award in the damages phase of the case.
Loza-Jimenez had joined her father and other members of her family for the long-haul trip from their home in Hermiston, Ore., to Bakersfield and back. On the return trip, after a break near Mount Shasta, her father started moving the truck while she was under it.
Loza-Jimenez faces several more major surgeries over the course of her lifetime, said her lawyers, Robert Buccola and Steven Campora.
They said it is legally irrelevant to the case that her father drove the truck.
Abbott wrote the final chapter Wednesday in Loza-Jimenez's civil suit against Freeway Transport when he approved the compromise payment.
Plaintiff's lawyers will receive a third of the award.
Buccola said $600,000 will be taken out of the final award and given to Shriners Hospitals for Children Northern California, which treated the girl. Medi-Cal also will be reimbursed.
"It's just a wonderful day, where all of the energy and work and risk has come to a positive conclusion for a deserving young girl who was totally innocent in all of this," Buccola said.
Attorneys for Freeway Transport could not be reached for comment.

Read more: Girl injured by truck-driver dad gets $22.5 million settlement deal - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

Upvote 0

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Sued her own father where in the fuck is he going to get 22 million from lol

Upvote 0

umoa

silent
Feb 28, 2006
unknown
Name
jimmy
Boat
18' starcraft "big knockers"
the company the father works for...

Upvote 0

BuonaForTuna

Jul 27, 2008
Glendale Ca
Name
Jesse
Boat
BuonaFortuna 26' Seaswirl Striper
Shit i say we go lay under some trucks let them run over a my legs ill settle for 5 mil and a cool wheel chair till my legs work again.

Upvote 0

1bigfisch

I Should Upgrade My Account
Feb 16, 2007
Northridge Ca
Name
Michael
Boat
32' Luhrs "Alluhr"
While I feel sympathy for the young girl, I fail to see how the trucking company is liable. On the other hand, I didn't think the manufacturer of a boat could be held liable for the damage a propeller causes when an operator backs the boat over another person.

Upvote 0